Kinglake Genovese 2012

zakka101

Kinglake Genovese 2012

Postby zakka101 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 am

signed up last week for the 115k. should be a good day in the saddle just enjoying the views, oh and trying to smash some PB's!
anyone else in for either the 70 or 115?

pagey

Re: Kinglake Genovese 2012

Postby pagey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm in for the 115km
cheers
Pagey

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 pm

First time posting. Started riding a month ago and jumped right in and signed up for the 115km. Was going to do the shorter ride but wanted a jersey and a pair of sunnies :D

Only riding a mountain bike at present. I have a OCR Giant that I bought from eBay a few years ago and never rode sitting in the garage. It needs some tlc but should be right for the day. I'll drop it off at the LBS in the next week or so and see how it goes.

Not that fit at present so probably should have started training earlier or looked for something more my speed but, hell, it'll be so much sweeter when I finish right :D

I'm curious, what are the bunch situations? As in, I've registered that I will finish it under 5 hours (again, sort of over estimated my ability.....maybe) how many riders will there be in that group and do they mind if I tack on the back or do they prefer to ride in groups of their mates etc. Don't really know anyone else who rides so I can't make a group myself.

Cheers.

SPC

Postby SPC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:46 am

Interesting, i wouldnt mind getting into this as im just getting back into road riding after a few years off the bike. Could be a good motivator over the next couple of months!

Does anyone know of a list or calendar of these kinds of rides?

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:18 pm

SPC wrote:Interesting, i wouldnt mind getting into this as im just getting back into road riding after a few years off the bike. Could be a good motivator over the next couple of months!

Does anyone know of a list or calendar of these kinds of rides?

There's probably heaps more but a few are http://www.theslog.com.au/ and the Eastlink ride http://www.rideforhome.com.au/

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 pm

drcolossus1 wrote:First time posting. Started riding a month ago and jumped right in and signed up for the 115km. Was going to do the shorter ride but wanted a jersey and a pair of sunnies :D

Only riding a mountain bike at present. I have a OCR Giant that I bought from <a href="http://www.ebay.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>eBay</span></a> a few years ago and never rode sitting in the garage. It needs some tlc but should be right for the day. I'll drop it off at the LBS in the next week or so and see how it goes.

Not that fit at present so probably should have started training earlier or looked for something more my speed but, hell, it'll be so much sweeter when I finish right :D

I'm curious, what are the bunch situations? As in, I've registered that I will finish it under 5 hours (again, sort of over estimated my ability.....maybe) how many riders will there be in that group and do they mind if I tack on the back or do they prefer to ride in groups of their mates etc. Don't really know anyone else who rides so I can't make a group myself.

Cheers.
Done a few of supersprints events. Bunches is a loose way of putting it, they start riders in waves of around 50, so you start with others nominated for the same time. After that its your option who to go with, tag on a pack or o alone as once you get to the climb it all fragments. The good riders will power up breaking groups apart whilst slower riders will be crawling up, forming new groups at the top. Best advice is to bring a jacket in the car - last year was terrible, constant heavy rain that was not forecast, and freezing temperatures. Lucky this year its a few weeks later in the year
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 am

Anyone else signed up for this?

Got my rider pack in the mail yesterday including the jersey, looks good! Not sure about size though. Don't really wear riding tops when I ride so not used to the body hugging material so probably should have gone up a size.

On the website it says that they can exchange it on the day if there are spares available but I wanted to throw it out there - if anyone has a XXL but wants an XL drop me an email - drcolossus1@gmail.com.

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:06 pm

yeah i got my kit in the mail yesterday as well, got an XL jersey. sorry mate cant help you out, the XL fits just fine.
you in for the 115?

Brettlikes2ride

Postby Brettlikes2ride » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Make sure you have good gear with you, last years turned really ugly fast, by the top of kinglake it was hailing and freezing, most of the field there at the time cut it short, 2 years earlier it was a similar situation.
It's a great and really challenging ride with 2 decent climbs but because of where it is and the time of year it can be dodgy, hell even in summer there is often fog near the top.
As for supersprint i have been riding their events for a few years now and they are first rate, well supported and good value.
2011 Pinarello FPquattro
2009 Giant Defy1 (spare bike now)

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 pm

yeah i got caught in heavy rain and cold winds a few weeks back going up kinglake, still did the climb and covered 105k for the day in just under 4 hours. ( 3hr 40 to be exact )
toughen up and grind it out is what i say.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:10 pm

zakka101 wrote:yeah i got my kit in the mail yesterday as well, got an XL jersey. sorry mate cant help you out, the XL fits just fine.
you in for the 115?
Yep in for the big one. Should be good. Training going better than expected. Will be testing myself on kinglake in the next few weeks.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Signed up for 115k's. I quite often do just over 100k rides that include Arthur's Seat but ive never been up Kinglake, they are very different types of climbs from what I can gather.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 pm

So, as this my first organized ride I thought I would pick the brains of everyone.

Firstly, how many spare tubes should I bring? Might sound like a weird question but if I bring one but get 2 flats, will the provided mechanic have spares and let you buy one from them (like I said, weird :roll: )

Secondly, I know there are food breaks along the way but what is usually given out? Would I be better off bringing my own food?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Btw, hit 100k for the first time on Sunday. Now, just need to do that and include a decent climb and I'll be confident on the day.

It was great to see all the other people out in their Kinglake jerseys already. I'll save mine for the day I think though.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 pm

well id take 2 tubes, 2 co2
I would take some of your own food as in gels/bars/cakes etc to consume as you will need a fair bit of carbs/cal's through out the race :)

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm

danny the boy wrote:Signed up for 115k's. I quite often do just over 100k rides that include Arthur's Seat but ive never been up Kinglake, they are very different types of climbs from what I can gather.
I did Arthur's Seat for the first time yesterday. From the Red Hill side anyway it seemed reasonable, but the descent down to Dromana had me wondering how agonizing the climb must be from that direction, even if it is only 3 km or whatever.

The good thing about Kinglake is that after the steeper bit out of St Andrews it's a nice, even climb.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 am

Arthur's seat climb from the highway side has some high gradients in some parts...

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 am

clackers wrote:
danny the boy wrote:Signed up for 115k's. I quite often do just over 100k rides that include Arthur's Seat but ive never been up Kinglake, they are very different types of climbs from what I can gather.
I did Arthur's Seat for the first time yesterday. From the Red Hill side anyway it seemed reasonable, but the descent down to Dromana had me wondering how agonizing the climb must be from that direction, even if it is only 3 km or whatever.

The good thing about Kinglake is that after the steeper bit out of St Andrews it's a nice, even climb.

I always come up from the Dromana side, the first half is easily the worst and then flattens out a bit. Looking at the climbing cyclist site some of the Mt Dandy climbs are similar to Kinglake so I might give them a try if I can find a good way to get out there.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 am

danny the boy wrote:
clackers wrote:

I always come up from the Dromana side, the first half is easily the worst and then flattens out a bit. Looking at the climbing cyclist site some of the Mt Dandy climbs are similar to Kinglake so I might give them a try if I can find a good way to get out there.
Happy to help! :P

I used to ride to the Dandenongs from Parkdale (where I used to live), and took the following route: up Boundary Rd, right at Lower Dandenong Rd, continuing on to Cheltenham Rd. At Dandenong (the suburb, that is), turn right at Foster St, then continue over the Princes Hwy, where Foster St veers left to become Stud Rd heading north. From here you have several options, depending on which side of the Dandenongs you wish to ride up:
  1. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Boronia Rd. You can follow this to The Basin, and commence your ascent up the Dandenongs along the "1-in-20" (i.e. Mountain Hwy between The Basin and Sassafras) (route description: Parkdale --> Mt Dandenong --> Parkdale);
  2. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Ferntree Gully Rd, right again at Burwood Hwy, then once you reach Upper Ferntree Gully turn left at the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, and follow this up to Sassafras (route description: Parkdale --> Mt Dandenong --> Parkdale. Note: This route actually followed Springvale Rd, right at Waverley Rd, went through Jells Park, then followed Ferntree Gully Rd, so that's a possible (albeit slightly longer) alternative route for you);
  3. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Heatherton Rd, left at Belgrave-Hallam Rd, right at Wellington Rd, then a few km after Cardinia Reservoir turn right again in Clematis at Belgrave-Gembrook Rd, which you follow to Emerald. At Emerald, turn left at Emerald-Monbulk Rd, and follow this to Monbulk, where you turn right at Olinda-Monbulk Rd, which takes you to Olinda (route description: Parkdale --> Emerald --> Olinda).
Option 1 gives you a fairly steady 4.3% grade climb from The Basin up to Sassafras, plus the climb from Sassafras up to Olinda (should you choose to go further) is also fairly gentle.
Option 2 gives about a 10% grade climb for the first few km from Upper Ferntree Gully, after which it levels out to roughly half that grade.
Option 3 gives about an average 5.5% grade for the climb to Olinda, but contains several sections with about 10% grade, which I guess is why it's nicknamed "The Wall".

Hope you try these rides, and enjoy them! :D I know I did.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 am

jamesn184 wrote:well id take 2 tubes, 2 co2
I would take some of your own food as in gels/bars/cakes etc to consume as you will need a fair bit of carbs/cal's through out the race :)
Thanks for the feedback.

Never used co2 before. Just ordered an inflator from cell bikes. Also got some cartridges - $1.82 each - Bargain! Even overseas weren't that cheap so pretty happy. :D I've never got anything from them before so lets see how it goes.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 pm

drcolossus1 wrote: Secondly, I know there are food breaks along the way but what is usually given out? Would I be better off bringing my own food?
Definitly bring your own, as what is provided in the way of energy bars may not be to your taste. Myself I'm bringing my own, gels, bars and bananas or muesli bars. Hopefully the weather holds out and I can actually finish the 115km this year. Pulled out last year because of the weather.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:22 pm

VRE wrote: Happy to help! :P

I used to ride to the Dandenongs from Parkdale (where I used to live), and took the following route: up Boundary Rd, right at Lower Dandenong Rd, continuing on to Cheltenham Rd. At Dandenong (the suburb, that is), turn right at Foster St, then continue over the Princes Hwy, where Foster St veers left to become Stud Rd heading north. From here you have several options, depending on which side of the Dandenongs you wish to ride up:
  1. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Boronia Rd. You can follow this to The Basin, and commence your ascent up the Dandenongs along the "1-in-20" (i.e. Mountain Hwy between The Basin and Sassafras) (route description: Parkdale --> Mt Dandenong --> Parkdale);
  2. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Ferntree Gully Rd, right again at Burwood Hwy, then once you reach Upper Ferntree Gully turn left at the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, and follow this up to Sassafras (route description: Parkdale --> Mt Dandenong --> Parkdale. Note: This route actually followed Springvale Rd, right at Waverley Rd, went through Jells Park, then followed Ferntree Gully Rd, so that's a possible (albeit slightly longer) alternative route for you);
  3. Continue up Stud Rd, turning right at Heatherton Rd, left at Belgrave-Hallam Rd, right at Wellington Rd, then a few km after Cardinia Reservoir turn right again in Clematis at Belgrave-Gembrook Rd, which you follow to Emerald. At Emerald, turn left at Emerald-Monbulk Rd, and follow this to Monbulk, where you turn right at Olinda-Monbulk Rd, which takes you to Olinda (route description: Parkdale --> Emerald --> Olinda).
Option 1 gives you a fairly steady 4.3% grade climb from The Basin up to Sassafras, plus the climb from Sassafras up to Olinda (should you choose to go further) is also fairly gentle.
Option 2 gives about a 10% grade climb for the first few km from Upper Ferntree Gully, after which it levels out to roughly half that grade.
Option 3 gives about an average 5.5% grade for the climb to Olinda, but contains several sections with about 10% grade, which I guess is why it's nicknamed "The Wall".

Hope you try these rides, and enjoy them! :D I know I did.
Thanks. Bit unsure about using Stud rd but its probably no worse than Springvale Rd or similar. Was considering the Eastlink trail but after looking at it closer on Google earth I fear I may get lost, I thought it would just be a straight path running parallel to the road but it looks to go in all different directions.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Well, did the Will Walker climb for the first time today. Actually, my first climb ever!

About 1 km into it I thought, "damn, this climbing is for mugs! No way I'm doing this again" Then I got into a rhythm and cruised up. I'm not saying that it was easy, far from it, but I was pretty happy with the way I handled it. 8)

I sat on around the 13km/h which I thought was okay, not lighteningly quick but reasonable considering I've only been riding for a few months....... Until about 10 cyclist raced by me in the space of a few minutes. A few of them yelled encouragement which was nice. Couldn't believe how many people were on the climb. I guess everyone is getting prepared for ride or just generally training on one of the closer climbs to the city. Either way it was good to see heaps of riders out and about.

90km total for the day. Broke a spoke after losing concentration and hitting a pothole just off the side of the road :roll: It was a little hairy riding down the hill at diamond creek with my wheel wobbling all over the place. Glad I made it home in one piece. I haven't had a crash yet but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like it! :cry:

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 am

drcolossus1 wrote: Actually, my first climb ever!

About 1 km into it I thought, "damn, this climbing is for mugs! No way I'm doing this again" Then I got into a rhythm and cruised up. I'm not saying that it was easy, far from it, but I was pretty happy with the way I handled it. 8)
Congratulations, DC. It's hard to explain to non-cyclists the joy of getting from down there to up there without a car, but now you know the feeling too! :smile:

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm

i went from riding kinglake 3 times in a row ( each satday morning ) to not riding it for the last 3 weeks! eek.
need to get my bike back ( is in for warranty claim atm ) and then go and smash the effing crap out of it.
anyone want to organise a ride with me? i usually climb it myself in about 27 mins, looking for someone who wants to ride with me! do a round trip through kinglake west and back through whittlesea. ( its pretty much the 70k loop of the kinglake ride )
any takers?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Was about to sign up when I realised they have changed jersey brands.

How's a 2xu fit compared to normal clothes ? I'd normally get a medium 95cm in most stuff. I've previously gone a 4 in Nalini.

Are the 2xu jersey's sized up like Italian brands and assume a skin tight race fit so you'd size up ?

thanks