Magpies are Out in Force - Hot Spots

blatant

Re: Magpies are Out in Force - Hot Spots

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

DoogleDave wrote: Avoid their area alltogether.
Dave
according to the swoop map that means avoid pretty much all of victoria :P
Nah I know they're just doing their job but it's still annoying

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Make friends with your local nests, say hi and keep some mince in the fridge at home. I'm sure they use Twitter to tell each other who the good people are...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Make friends with your local nests, say hi and keep some mince in the fridge at home. I'm sure they use Twitter to tell each other who the good people are...
LOL Thats hilarious. Isn't it interesting that there are so many trees around and they end up picking ones right next to the bike track? That right there is prime real estate... A nest with a view and all the unexpecting pedestrians they could ever want.

I wonder if we'd find bits of helmets meshed into their nest construction.

I was thinking of riding in a bird/chicken suit, they wouldn't take one of their own would they?
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 pm

drnick79 wrote:Seven Mile Road ~1km out from Trafalgar, there are a few angry magpies along there. One hit a mate twice on the helmet.

S
Okay, to follow up on this magpie a little more...

He got me a few times this morning... This fubber was full on!!!! He went me for a good 5-600m! I had my pump (yeah the non pro spec one!!!) swinging above my head, but this *&*) of a bird still kept on going me!!!! Managed to make a small hole in my helmet not too far from my ear, but still looks like it will be okay. I was almost hitting him with that said pump, but he kept on having a crack!!!

Corner of Seven Mile Rd and North Canel Rd (on the south side), just near there..

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:14 am

Plenty Road, Mill Park, near the corner of Childs Road, I had two attacking me at the same time while I was trying negotiate my way across a left turn lane to go straight in an 80 zone, was a little scary.
No signature

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm

That bloody magpie at Tunstall Square (Doncaster Rd, Donvale) that started out fairly inoccuously swooping quite high, has now moved on to full body-slams I've been away for 5 weeks and was not riding the bike the last week or so, but on Wednesday it crashed down onto my helmet three times. At first I thought someone had thrown something at me.

:evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:52 pm

drnick79 wrote:This fubber was full on!!!! He went me for a good 5-600m! I had my pump (yeah the non pro spec one!!!) swinging above my head, but this *&*) of a bird still kept on going me!!!! Managed to make a small hole in my helmet not too far from my ear, but still looks like it will be okay. I was almost hitting him with that said pump, but he kept on having a crack!!!
According to wildlife experts this is the worst way to react to them. Aggression only reinforces their need to attack to defend territory and their swooping gets worse :|
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

blatant wrote:aside from cable ties and fake eyes what other effective methods have people used?

Ditch the helmet :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:07 am

il padrone wrote:
blatant wrote:aside from cable ties and fake eyes what other effective methods have people used?
Ditch the helmet :idea:
Did you see the next video in the series were they put a wig over the helmet so the person looked like they had an afro, the magpie didn't attack, they called it the Big Hair approach. We just need to get some wigs.
No signature

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I think the ones still doing it now are just in it for a laugh with their mates.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am

Well its nearly the same time as last years last post and i'm sure they are back in action even more.

I'm pretty tramatised by last summers "events". Its pretty scary especially when you know your having to ride through one of the zones.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any bad spots on the eastlink trail either way? I know that one past the dandenong bridge behind cheltenham road is probably back into the the swing of things.

racka

Postby racka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 am

adrian_d wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any bad spots on the eastlink trail either way? I know that one past the dandenong bridge behind cheltenham road is probably back into the the swing of things.
I rode the Eastlink trail down to Patterson River from Dandenong about two weeks ago and didn't get swooped.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:03 pm

racka wrote:
adrian_d wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any bad spots on the eastlink trail either way? I know that one past the dandenong bridge behind cheltenham road is probably back into the the swing of things.
I rode the Eastlink trail down to Patterson River from Dandenong about two weeks ago and didn't get swooped.
Oh thats alright then. I must admit its a nervous time planning to go for a ride and knowing in the back of my mind that its still a possibility.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

I just posted this in the Sydney thread I stumbled across this yesterday http://www.magpiealert.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't consider magpies swooping to be an issue? I mostly ride out Kinglake, Yarra Valley and Dandenongs and get swooped on a regular basis.

They sometimes give me a fright when I get whacked and don't see them coming. Particularly if i'm daydreaming - sure wakes you up!
But if I know they're coming I just ride along and ignore them. If you've got decent glasses on whats the worst they can do?

I'm absolutely amazed that people would consider changing their rides based on a magpie or two?!?

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:41 pm

I must be lucky, but I ride from Melbourne CBD to Heidelberg on the MYT, and I haven't had any magpie issues - well, apart from one that started to walk across the bike path, saw me and gave an *oh F%$^* look, then jump-flew backwards.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 pm

slipsam wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't consider magpies swooping to be an issue? I mostly ride out Kinglake, Yarra Valley and Dandenongs and get swooped on a regular basis.

They sometimes give me a fright when I get whacked and don't see them coming. Particularly if i'm daydreaming - sure wakes you up!
But if I know they're coming I just ride along and ignore them. If you've got decent glasses on whats the worst they can do?

I'm absolutely amazed that people would consider changing their rides based on a magpie or two?!?
I think its like horror films, some people are scared of them and will never watch them (or avoid it) while others embrace the "fright" haha.

While I will watch any horror film, facing those things in real life always seems so much more real. I'd hate to have my latest helmet pecked or scratched up. I take very good care of my equipment and try to avoid unncessary bird pecks at my gear and face LOL

Its probably not as big as I would imagine an issue, just not a pleasent one unfortunately.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 am

Had 3 at once out of Warrandyte last night. First time I've seen that. One had a huge territory and distracted me so much, it wasn't until he peeled off that I noticed I was on an 8% hill :-)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Two had a go at us (well mainly me being the last rider) from the intersection of Harris Gully Road and about 1/2 km up Warrandyte Road travelling east today. Even waited for us during our call of nature stop at the reserve then resumed hostilities!

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 pm

In warragul we have 3 swoopers within a km of our house.

The wife has just taken up riding and isnt impressed with them. They appear to have a bit more of a go here when a rider is alone.

GT-N7000

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Swooped 4 times in the last 2 weeks. First time it happened the maggie smacked me on the back and didnt see it on a section of exact road I had a really accident several years earlier and I freaked out thinking it was a ghost or something. Was only the next day in the spot when I was swooped again, this time seeing it that I realized what it was...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Fyi magpies were at corner mountain Hwy and burwood hwy wantirna/vermont sth in vic. And boy am i happy they put in traffic lights and an overpass since my accident there!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Got a hit to the head whilst waiting at the lights in Boronia today, sitting next to a truck too. Only just moved to Vic from hobart, these magpies add some entertainment to the ride :)

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:33 pm

drnick79 wrote:Seven Mile Road ~1km out from Trafalgar, there are a few angry magpies along there. One hit a mate twice on the helmet.

S
looks like the traf ones are at it again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcKA1debTQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 am

koshari wrote:

S
looks like the traf ones are at it again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcKA1debTQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, looks like it has moved down the road a little vs last year! It was ~2-300m up on the Traf side of Seven Mile Rd and then ~3-400m around the corner on North Canel Rd towards Moe. I know as I have the GPS data to back it up. LOL.

Looks like I am going out there with a mate this arvo, wish me luck. LOL! ;)

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro