7 Peaks Series

yarravalleyplodder

7 Peaks Series

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Has anyone heard of this 7 peaks series

http://www.7peaks.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read the climbing cyclist blog and come across this intiative and it sounds great putting the challenge out there to climb the 7 biggest peaks in Victoria from now to the end of March.

Not sure I am up for all 7 this year but if they do it again next year I may give it a go. I am thinking about lake Mountain and Buller before the end of March, I would have to do more that the occasional run up the 1:20 :D for training.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

zakka101

Re: 7 Peaks Series

Postby zakka101 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 am

i have my 7peaks passport and am rearing to go.
will probably join in with the domestique series when i can but really dont think ill get all 7, ill be aiming for 4 at least.
they started with lake mountain on the weekend ( which i sadly missed out on ) and it seemed like a really good day out!
theres a whole more planned, so at least the training will still be motivation enough to get out there and smash it.
might have to do some kinglake repeats sometime soon to freshen up. anyone keen?

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:18 pm

I've requested a passport, hopeful of doing at least 5 climbs, but not overly confident of having enough weekends free to finish all.

I'm using it as training for the 3peaks in March, which will tick the Mt Hotham box. Also planning the Marysville challenge which will take care of Lake Mountain.
The only one of them i've done before is Lake Mountain a few years ago, and couldn't make it up the first steep part there without stopping a couple of times. Relatively new to the sport and lots of work to do, although i have been hitting Kinglake a bit lately.
I'm hopeful of knocking off at least one or two more before xmas. Might have to change out the 11-28 cassette for 12-30 before tackling Baw Baw though!

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 am

i have a 11-26 cassette so i dont think ill be going to a higher toothed one any time soon, can just grind away with the 26. or maybe ill go to baw baw and eat my words haha!

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah, i rarely use the 28, but do take some comfort in knowing it's there if needed! Finally got up KL without using it last weekend, although I did use it on that steep hill before the main climb.
If I do change out for a 30 it will almost specifically be for Baw Baw and for the back of Falls at the end of 3 Peaks. They scare me!
Shopping around I can get a Ultegra 12-30 cassette and the required longer mid cage derailleur for $200. Seems like cheap insurance to me :)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:55 am

OK I have been thinking about it for a week and my mind is made up

By the end of March 2013 I will have completed Donna Buang, Lake Mountain & Mt Buller. I know Donna is not officially part of the 7 peaks but its close to home and I have not done it before.

I dont have the time nor the fitness to target any of the other peaks, mainly because they would involve overnight stays and I dont think I am ready for Baw Baw just yet, maybe next year.

I usually do a few triathlons over summer but the drive is not there this year, this has taken over my thinking and is what will drive me over the summer months. I am sure being a card carry member of the Clydesdale club and a slow climber I am in for some pain, but getting to the top and the prospect of some wicked descents will make it worth while :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:28 pm

YVP get around the clydesdales! yeah mate! ( im 6'2 100kgs, thats clydesdale-esque right? )

your targets seem perfect man, you will dominate those no doubt. you are the one bloke on the victorian forum that has stood out to me, just with your positive attitude and everything else ( ATB training and doing the half marathon as well ) i reckon you are right on track.

happy training mate!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks Zakka

I am 6ft and 110kg so I think we both qualify :wink:
(Gatorade Tri Series say anything above 90kg's, I will go with that)

I must say since I have started getting fit I have achieved most of my goals. The only thing I have missed out on is some times I set myself but I have always completed any event or target, I figure these will be no different.

Do the training, set the mind and above all else just keep pedaling :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Thanks Zakka

Do the training, set the mind and above all else just keep pedaling :D
couldnt have said it better myself mate.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 am

The training started today.

I left home with the plan of doing both the 1:20 & the wall but half way up the 1:20 I realised the wall wasnt going to happen today.

Its been about 4 weeks since I did any serious climbing and it showed so I stuck with the 1:20 and sky high. Just over 45km with 900m of climbing. I will do the same tomorrow, the wall will have to wait.

My plan is between now and christmas is to do a few of double ups, that is a 1:20 & the wall and then I plan to go up the tourist rd from Montrose, down the 1:20 then up devils elbow, back across the top and down into Montrose.

That with a few hill repeat sessions closer to home should see me tackle Donna Buang around the new year and that will be 1 out of 3 done :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

asmc

Postby asmc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Just did Mt Buller last monday, good weather, but please note that there's some oil on the road towards the top of the mountain from the weekend targa, as a result, I came off one of corners coming down and the bike come out from under me at about 60km/h, I've lost some of my right buttock :cry:
Cervélo Soloist Carbon SRAM Red

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:17 am

asmc wrote:Just did Mt Buller last monday, good weather, but please note that there's some oil on the road towards the top of the mountain from the weekend targa, as a result, I came off one of corners coming down and the bike come out from under me at about 60km/h, I've lost some of my right buttock :cry:
Ouch :( . Hope it heals cleanly. Have you notified the local council and/or VicRoads about this? By the way, what's the "weekend targa"?

Also, can you recall exactly which corner it was? A friend wishes to know :) .

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am

A mate from Sydney is picking me up from Canberra and we are coming down to do some of these cllimbs in late December.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Has anyone heard of this 7 peaks series

It's been running for at least 3 years, maybe 4. Nice example of country tourism promotion. And Hells 500/The Climbing Cyclist are doing rides on all the climbs over summer, offering to support people wanting to have a go or just have some company for the climb. :)

asmc

Postby asmc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

VRE wrote: Ouch :( . Hope it heals cleanly. Have you notified the local council and/or VicRoads about this? By the way, what's the "weekend targa"?

Also, can you recall exactly which corner it was? A friend wishes to know :) .
It was this event: http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Summer/Event ... gh-Country,

Lots of race cars, it was right at the top where the road is quite steep, I did call the Mt Buller visitor centre so they know.

Basically, don't go full on on the descent -.-

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm

grasshopper wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:Has anyone heard of this 7 peaks series

It's been running for at least 3 years, maybe 4. Nice example of country tourism promotion. And Hells 500/The Climbing Cyclist are doing rides on all the climbs over summer, offering to support people wanting to have a go or just have some company for the climb. :)
ahh didnt realise it was that old. I actually found it ready the climbing cyclist blog about their lake mountain ride

I am keen to join them when they do lake mountain in January, the other dates they have set for buller doesnt suit and I dont think I am up for baw baw just yet. It doesnt suit to do anything around falls and hotham, a leave pass and cash is lacking, now that I know about it I can plan better and submit an early leave pass request and save up :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 pm

asmc wrote:Just did Mt Buller last monday, good weather, but please note that there's some oil on the road towards the top of the mountain from the weekend targa, as a result, I came off one of corners coming down and the bike come out from under me at about 60km/h, I've lost some of my right buttock :cry:
thats defiantly not cool, especially when one of the rewards of a big climb is getting to fly down
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm

another weekend and more training

yesterday did what is fast becoming the usual saturday ride. Leave home and head for the basin, up the 1:20 then up to sky high. Descend into Montrose, tunr right at the roundabout and head home. Its just over 49km and has 800m of climbing. I really went for it on the 1:20 and managed to drop just under a minute off my time to 24:13, I was very happy with that :D

I did the eastlink 35km with my dad today. It was fun to get out there with him but apart from the ride to an from the event I didnt get the heart rate up and it was a very leisurely ride. I did leave him to smash the tunnels and I have improved since last year.

The best bit is my gps & strava has conspired to give me a kom on a segment thats above ground based on y sprint into the tunnel. I have smashed the previous kom and obliterated my previous time on that segment :D Its undeserved but I am not sure there is much I can do about it so I will take the only kom I will ever own, dubious that it is :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

I did Icy Creek to Mt Baw Baw summit and return on Sunday, and Matt & Andy & their assistants did a great job of organising another mass-participation ride in the 7 Peaks Domestique Series :) . I think at least 80 cyclists did this one, leaving from Noojee, Icy Creek or Tanjil Bren, then riding up that ridiculously steep mountain road and returning. That's a very tough mountain to cycle up, though - my legs were feeling it for the next few days.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Great work VRE, you must be stoked about completing baw baw

I just read the climbing cyclist's write up, I was very jealous :mrgreen: that I couldnt get a leave pass. Mind you I dont think I am up for baw baw just yet. I am aiming to join Matt & Andy the next time they do lake Mountain, my training is going well hitting Mt Dandy every weekend. This sunday I have a bit more time and plan to do the 1:20 & the wall as well as a trip up to skyhigh. Its amazing how good your cycling gets with the more hill work you do
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 am

yeah, i'll definitely be there for the next lake mountain day. but the rest i just dont know yet, havent been to the 1:20 before though. might have to hit it up soon.

good work on the weekend VRE! tough climb from what i have heard and read. :D

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:58 pm

zakka with what I have heard about kinglake you wont have any dramas with the 1:20. Its a consistent grade nearly all the way up with a 2km false flat that you can really smash if your keen on a good time, but the 2nd last km hurts if you have used too much juice on the false flat, I have totally blown a few pb's in that 2nd last km :cry:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

asmc

Postby asmc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Did Mt Hotham yesterday...

hot damn the last 10kms were a killer, slowed down to a crawl, and the hills just seemed to never end!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Great Job asmc, my mate tells me every time he does hotham that about 2/3 up he selling the bike & taking up fishing :lol: He still has his willier

Fantastic photo also

I had a good training weekend 143km and 2500m of climbing for saturday & sunday. Starting to think I might make it up lake mountain and buller soon
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 am

far out plodder unreal work! good stuff! dominating!