Alpine Audax 2013 - so who's in ?

grantw

Re: Alpine Audax 2013 - so who's in ?

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 am

The Organisers posted an update on the AAC website , which sounds optimistic, maybe not so great for the raid and ace riders though.

I rang my motel in Harrietville earlier today and they said it's business as usual, if a little smokey. They mentioned that the CFA pilots and fire management team is staying there and will be busy building containment lines today but are confident the fire will be out in a couple of days given the expected conditions.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Just got a message via my accommodation in harrietville . They have had a town meeting and at this stage are not allowing any visitors in.

Anyone wanna ride baw baw ?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Jim, that's Harrietville. Bright is not impacted in the same way.
A little earlier I was chatting to Phil, the ride organiser who is an old friend - stand by for an update from Audax soon!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:39 pm

250 obviously goign to be cancelled

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Just got an update from our accommodation - from the Alpine Shire. It's in hard copy so I won't transcribe every word-
Fires are impacting Harrietville, Mt Hotham and Falls Creek.
Event organisers in consultation with Vic Police are re-routing the course.
I'll post again when more news comes through,
Andrew

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Jim, that's Harrietville. Bright is not impacted in the same way.
A little earlier I was chatting to Phil, the ride organiser who is an old friend - stand by for an update from Audax soon!

I know that. But my accommodation is in Harrietville. Even if the 250 goes ahead, if ive got nowhere to stay It's going to be pretty difficult to do the ride.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

I'd doubt the ACE 250 or the AAC 210 events will be able to continue if the winds kick up tomorrow (as forecast)and take this fire to the east or SE. It will cut the Great Alpine Road, and the Bogong High Plains Rd would also be very likely to be cut. I'd make plans to do the 130/140 events to Bright and up Mt Buffalo.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm

il padrone wrote:I'd doubt the ACE 250 or the AAC 210 events will be able to continue if the winds kick up tomorrow (as forecast)and take this fire to the east or SE. It will cut the Great Alpine Road, and the Bogong High Plains Rd would also be very likely to be cut. I'd make plans to do the 130/140 events to Bright and up Mt Buffalo.

You mean the raid 250.

There is no 210 event ( unless your mates who did the 130 leave for harrietville before you get back and a flat phone battery means you can't ring them which results in a 20 km ride to Harietville? :( Then that is the 220, )

if the 130 and 140 go ahead im guessing the 200 will as it follows the same route.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

here's hoping the rides all go ahead!
Obviously if the worst thing that eventuates out of a bushfire in the Vic High Country, is that a couple of rides can't go ahead - it would be a good result.

Hoping to see you all on the weekend still - fingers crossed!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

jimsheedy wrote:[quote="!

I know that. But my accommodation is in Harrietville. Even if the 250 goes ahead, if ive got nowhere to stay It's going to be pretty difficult to do the ride.[/quote]
Sorry Jim - didn't mean to be rude!
Harrietville is not taking any new arrivals and a community support centre has been set up here in Bright.
Nothing on the AAC website yet but the 200, the Raid 250 and the 250 Extreme wont be on as the Falls Creek and Mt Hotham parts of the Alpine Park are closed.
We've been seeing and hearing the fire fighting choppers all day... Kinda makes you focus!!

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Thats alright. No need to apologise. I didn't take your comment as rude.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Just got a message via my accommodation in harrietville . They have had a town meeting and at this stage are not allowing any visitors in.

Crikey that gave me a fright - though I just spoke to the Harrietville motel and had a long chat, he assured me it was OK to come along tomorrow (subject of course to whatever does happen tomorrow) but he wasn't aware of any meeting that decided to stop people coming in.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

jimsheedy wrote:
il padrone wrote:I'd doubt the ACE 250 or the AAC 210 events will be able to continue if the winds kick up tomorrow (as forecast)and take this fire to the east or SE. It will cut the Great Alpine Road, and the Bogong High Plains Rd would also be very likely to be cut. I'd make plans to do the 130/140 events to Bright and up Mt Buffalo.

You mean the raid 250.
I'm out of touch with all the routes - not ever been planning to do any the past two years. So they now only do the Raid and not the ACE??

Road closure map - certainly knocks out any riding up Mt Hotham.

View from Hotham - 22/1 from Hotham Village
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Audax FB suggests the 250 rides may be cancelled but does not say that about the 200, and that riders would be able swap to one of the other rides in that situation.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

grantw wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:Just got a message via my accommodation in harrietville . They have had a town meeting and at this stage are not allowing any visitors in.

Crikey that gave me a fright - though I just spoke to the Harrietville motel and had a long chat, he assured me it was OK to come along tomorrow (subject of course to whatever does happen tomorrow) but he wasn't aware of any meeting that decided to stop people coming in.

Maybe they don't like him and he wasn't invited. Small town politics hey? :wink:

That was definitely the message I got via my mate who is organising our accommodation. And Looking at the road closure map I can't see Harrietville being a viable option anyway.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

jimsheedy wrote:
Maybe they don't like him and he wasn't invited. Small town politics hey? :wink:

That was definitely the message I got via my mate who is organising our accommodation. And Looking at the road closure map I can't see Harrietville being a viable option anyway.

:) Noted. Likely be a long day tomorrow, so will just see what transpires. Worst comes to worst I'm back tracking down the valley until I find somewhere to sleep. In other news, if the ACE is cancelled there are plans to replace it with a triathalon style drink - ride - swim event at the Bright Brewery carpark.

Not sure if its actually official but the plan is to drink a lot then ride about 1000 laps of the carpark and then navigate the waterslide without drowning. It ought to sort out those who have neglected the all important liver training workouts in their ACE prep.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

like the way you think grantw.
After trying Harrietville for accom a few weeks ago, I ended up in Myrtleford.
I got a room in the first place I tried. Obviously it will have filled since then, but hit me up if you get stuck.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I like the sound of that too. Long way to drive for a piss up though. If it's cancelled I'll be putting my refund toward the three peaks.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Cheers Oldnewby, will see how we go, but thanks.

and Jimsheedy, I've driven further for one :)

Semar

Postby Semar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm

This is the warning on the cfa site:

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-rest ... 55173.html

Explains why it's laps of Buffalo.

If there is anyone who is unhappy with this decision, could you imagine organizing an evacuation of riders scattered across the length and breadth?

Anyway, I don't want your sweaty licra in my big red truck. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Just put up on the AAC website;

A bushfire is currently burning near Harrietville and the Great Alpine Road is closed between Harrietville and Mt Hotham. We are in constant contact with police and other emergency services about the changing fire situation. Rider, volunteer and public safety is paramount.

We are aware of the financial and training commitment riders invest in the Alpine Classic. Therefore, we have decided to continue with the event at this stage by re-routing all events to Mt Buffalo. Multiple ascents may be required to achieve a rider's preferred distance. An announcement on the details of the altered routes will be made as soon as possible.

The Alpine Raids are cancelled as an equivalent two day ride cannot be offered. Riders wishing to switch to a one-day ride can do so.

Please monitor http://www.alpineclassic.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for updates. For those without internet access please call 0439 584 191 for a recorded message. Please pass this information on to any friends who may be intending to ride this weekend.

Online entries have been closed. It is still possible to enter in person in Bright.

The Bonjour Bright Festival will be a happening thing this weekend - be sure to come along.

For further information on the bushfire situation please refer to http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For information on road closures please refer to http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Phil Bellette
Ride Organiser

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm

il padrone wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:

You mean the raid 250.
I'm out of touch with all the routes - not ever been planning to do any the past two years. So they now only do the Raid and not the ACE??
No actually I meant the ACE250.... still on the program here.

I rode it in 2010 (?) Whenever they first held it, anyway.
Mandatory helmet law?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am

I think he was questioning the "AAC210" as its either the AAC200 or just AAC (it is in fact somewhat less than 200 by my records - 192 I think)
Plus, earlier in the piece Falls Ck was still accessible but not now.
Looks like the Raid is off and the ACE and AAC (200) will be replaced with alternatives
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 am

Bummer. I understand the decision and don't dispute calling off the 250, but repeats of Buffalo with many hundreds of other riders on the mountain seem a poor substitute (which may introduce other risks). I'd personally prefer my money back and to save two days of travel.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 am

Bugger to all those affected by the fire.

We've arrived ok and did Buffalo yesterday (that was a fun descent) and were going to do Hotham today, but due to fire, will do Falls Creek instead.

You can smell the smoke in the air this morning which is not nice

Oh well, it is what it is :D