Around the Bay 2013

Ropecharmer

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Ropecharmer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm

racka wrote:The only "fundraising" that's part of the entry fee is for Bicycle Network. The Smith Family money relies on the fundraising efforts of individual cyclists.
Really? I thought most (if not all) of the entry fees went to the Smith Family charity?

If that's not the case it's waaayyy too expensive and I think it's dishonest to not reveal where the money goes.
The bicycle is the solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 pm

^ I can't believe so many people still don't understand this. You only have to read the info provided. And have a little think about it.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:58 pm

And something like 84cents from every dollar goes to charity (Smaith Family) and that's a good percentage too.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Ropecharmer wrote:
racka wrote:The only "fundraising" that's part of the entry fee is for Bicycle Network. The Smith Family money relies on the fundraising efforts of individual cyclists.
Really? I thought most (if not all) of the entry fees went to the Smith Family charity?

If that's not the case it's waaayyy too expensive and I think it's dishonest to not reveal where the money goes.
They do reveal it....

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

racka

Postby racka » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:36 am

Ropecharmer wrote: I think it's dishonest to not reveal where the money goes.
They do though. They explicitly state on the FAQs page:

Is there a portion of the entry fee that goes to The Smith Family?
No, your entry fee supports Bicycle Network in improving the conditions for all bike riders. To support The Smith Family help disadvantaged Australian children to realise their potential through education you need to fundraise.

Pretty sure it got mentioned elsewhere in the signup pages too.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 am

And during the presentations at the finish it was restated, with the not so subtle message that only 15% of riders actually fundraise for The Smith Family.

The Smith Family have simply piggy-backed their fundraising onto an enormously successful event (in terms of numbers of participants).

It's up to each rider to decide whether they want to send out emails, post of Facebook etc and ask their family/friends to donate to The Smith Family. I didn't, my husband did. We rode the same event on Sunday, got the same jersey, same support, same lunch etc.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 am

It was interesting to hear the response that I got from fundraising on some non cycling forums with regards to asking for donations. The basic messages were along the lines of "now i can't even go on a forum without being asked for fundraising money".

Finding people outside of Facebook/family friends to donate can be very difficult without going door to door.

I was extremely disapointed to see that Connecteast was cancelled due to not seeing enough fundraising. That was the only very large scale event that was on a closed off where new riders could feel totally comfortable without having to worry about cars swerving into them.

I saw one car last year at Bupa try and run into a few cyclists because they were taking up 1 out of 3 lanes near station pier Pretty aweful.

I don't like to race because of the close proximity of the cyclists during a crit, so I do rely on these bigger events to work towards. Having to wait 11 months for the next one (and the only major one now) isn't all that appealing as it once was.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 am

Personally? I participate and enjoy the day more because of the (minor) fundraising I do for the Smith Family, which I reckon is a very worthy charity. It's also a great motivator when you're pushing into the northerly up Beach Rd to think that it's not just about you and your own personal 'achievement' goals. It certainly keeps things in perspective, knowing that you can make some small contribution through your cycling hobby to help others less fortunate.

I have plenty of other opportunities to meet my own personal cycling and fitness goals. Therefore I regard the ATB rides (and I've only ever done the 50/100k options) as a small opportunity to give a little back to cycling in general (through participating) and to contribute to the charity (through some fundraising).

Of that 15% who fundraise the vast majority (like me) only raise a few hundred dollars. But you'll feel better about the entry fee if you can at least match it with some sponsorship for the charity. I only put the bite on close friends and family (who think I'm nuts anyway !!) so there's no big drama.

Collectively it adds up to around $1m to Smith Family and I reckon that's something worth being part of.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 am

adrian_d wrote:It was interesting to hear the response that I got from fundraising on some non cycling forums with regards to asking for donations. The basic messages were along the lines of "now i can't even go on a forum without being asked for fundraising money".

Finding people outside of Facebook/family friends to donate can be very difficult without going door to door.
And probably a reasonable concern on their part. There's a lot of things you cant do these days without being asked to donate to charity, walk through a shopping centre, answer the phone, answer the front door, read a paper/website, browse social media etc. I made a conscious decision not to seek donations from people that I dont personally know.

For these reasons I was quite careful about how I approached fundraising because I know I get annoyed by the huge number of requests at times. I shared the link to my fundraising page on facebook a number of times in the leadup to the event, but was concious not to do it too often (did it 2-3 times total in the months leading up to the event and another 3-4 times in the 10 days prior). I also sent a single email to a select group of work colleagues (About a dozen people. I get emails requesting donations regularly from people that I wouldnt know from a bar of soap, they just send it to everyone and sundry in the office, which is hundreds of people). The email was personally written by me (not copied & pasted from the generic ones we got sent) and I endeavoured to make it as light hearted as possible thanks to stitching up a good natured colleague who likes to give me light hearted jabs about cyclists taking over the roads :lol:

This approach for me found a balance of a) not annoying people too much (at least not that I know of) and b) still managing to raise just over $600.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:09 pm

TraceyG wrote:And during the presentations at the finish it was restated, with the not so subtle message that only 15% of riders actually fundraise for The Smith Family.

The Smith Family have simply piggy-backed their fundraising onto an enormously successful event (in terms of numbers of participants).

It's up to each rider to decide whether they want to send out emails, post of Facebook etc and ask their family/friends to donate to The Smith Family. I didn't, my husband did. We rode the same event on Sunday, got the same jersey, same support, same lunch etc.
I have no issue with the money not going to charity - it's pretty clear that it's not a charity ride and frankly why everything has to be for charity these days is beyond me - sure if people want to raise money as a consequence of doing it fine, but I don't want to go harassing my friends and colleagues and make them feel obliged to contribute to something they may not want to. I take part in these mas participation events because of the challenge of completing them, I couldn't care less who benefits from the entry fee.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm

adrian_d wrote:It was interesting to hear the response that I got from fundraising on some non cycling forums with regards to asking for donations. The basic messages were along the lines of "now i can't even go on a forum without being asked for fundraising money".

I was extremely disapointed to see that Connecteast was cancelled due to not seeing enough fundraising. That was the only very large scale event that was on a closed off where new riders could feel totally comfortable without having to worry about cars swerving into them.

I saw one car last year at Bupa try and run into a few cyclists because they were taking up 1 out of 3 lanes near station pier Pretty aweful.

I don't like to race because of the close proximity of the cyclists during a crit, so I do rely on these bigger events to work towards. Having to wait 11 months for the next one (and the only major one now) isn't all that appealing as it once was.
There are loads of mass participation cycling events on all year round, particularly at this time of year. The Slog is in a couple of weeks, the Kinglake ride a couple after that, not to mention group events organised by clubs.

I hope you reported the car driver who tried to hit the cyclists.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

djw47 wrote:

There are loads of mass participation cycling events on all year round, particularly at this time of year. The Slog is in a couple of weeks, the Kinglake ride a couple after that, not to mention group events organised by clubs.

I've been living under a rock then lol Thanks heaps there are more than I thought. I know i'm going to come last no matter what I do (I like going at my own pace hehe), but it would be great to know there wasn't any pressure, just that I could go at my own pace.

I couldn't catch up to get any details of the vehicle as I could only see a glimpse of it (would have been 100-150 metres away). We all ask for a bit of extra space on that road for 1 day, and theres always someone there to wreck it for us :(
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm

adrian_d wrote:
djw47 wrote:

I've been living under a rock then lol Thanks heaps there are more than I thought. I know i'm going to come last no matter what I do (I like going at my own pace hehe), but it would be great to know there wasn't any pressure, just that I could go at my own pace.

I couldn't catch up to get any details of the vehicle as I could only see a glimpse of it (would have been 100-150 metres away). We all ask for a bit of extra space on that road for 1 day, and theres always someone there to wreck it for us :(

You'll get faster the more you ride, get out there and enjoy it, you might surprise yourself.

teK--

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Regarding the matter of fundraising I think BNA do a pretty good job of promoting Smith Family and encouraging donations without making it overbearing.

In the end it is the initiative of participants as to whether they wish to fund raise or not. If they don't then I would suppose the event itself and the general getting together of people in the name of the same cause would encourage charitable work in the community as a whole. This, is what we really need more of nowadays.

Just to give an example of the alternative. I have done the Oxfam Trailwalker event a couple of times now and it is a requisite of entry that each team of 4 people raise minimum $1,000 in donations before the day of the event otherwise they cannot participate unless given special exemption. This can be quite a stressful experience in itself particularly because the 4 members may have the same circle of friends and family which makes it hard not to feel like you are forcing or guilting people into donating when they have already donated to another team.

Perhaps what BNA could do is apply a default levy to every entrant's fee which would be a donation to Smith Family. This option can be unticked by choice. Even $5.00 in the whole scheme of things would be quite small but still raise $70,000 before any additional fund raising efforts.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:24 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Here is the vid and my pics from the day. Every time I watch, that wind keeps making me shudder!
Great video, even with my sound muted - love the captions. :)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm

teK-- wrote:Regarding the matter of fundraising I think BNA do a pretty good job of promoting Smith Family and encouraging donations without making it overbearing.

In the end it is the initiative of participants as to whether they wish to fund raise or not. If they don't then I would suppose the event itself and the general getting together of people in the name of the same cause would encourage charitable work in the community as a whole. This, is what we really need more of nowadays.

Just to give an example of the alternative. I have done the Oxfam Trailwalker event a couple of times now and it is a requisite of entry that each team of 4 people raise minimum $1,000 in donations before the day of the event otherwise they cannot participate unless given special exemption. This can be quite a stressful experience in itself particularly because the 4 members may have the same circle of friends and family which makes it hard not to feel like you are forcing or guilting people into donating when they have already donated to another team.

Perhaps what BNA could do is apply a default levy to every entrant's fee which would be a donation to Smith Family. This option can be unticked by choice. Even $5.00 in the whole scheme of things would be quite small but still raise $70,000 before any additional fund raising efforts.
In the interest of avoiding confusion, BNA, or Bicycles Network Australia (which this forum is a part of) has nothing to do with around the bay, which is run by Bicycle network (previously known as bicycle victoria, aka BV). Confused? Good, that makes two of us :lol:

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
teK-- wrote:site is part of) has nothing to do with around the bay, which is run by Bicycle network (previously known as bicycle victoria, aka BV). Confused? Good, that makes two of us :lol:

Just wondering, what does Bicycle Network / Victoria do with the proceeds of ATB every year?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm

defy1 wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
teK-- wrote:site is part of) has nothing to do with around the bay, which is run by Bicycle network (previously known as bicycle victoria, aka BV). Confused? Good, that makes two of us :lol:

Just wondering, what does Bicycle Network / Victoria do with the proceeds of ATB every year?
Thats a whole different discussion/can of worms. Short answer? Various activities that fall under their motto of more people cycling more often. They like to call it advocacy. Others see it differently. Im going to shutup now, have already said too much :twisted:

teK--

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 am

received an email from marathon photos I'd been waiting all week. no photos of me :( . I didn't think I saw any pro photographers compared to last year when we went clockwise and there were a few near frankston and seaford.. I wonder if they don't position any on the geelong side and by the arvo the frankston ones have packed up?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:13 am

I also got the email. I'd like to see more than just the ones they've tagged with my number - I had a pretty distinctive hot pink gillet on so would be able to pick myself out of a bunch, even if they can't.

I've also got two photos tagged as me at the finish line which have no riders in them - just the inflatable finish arc. Didn't think I put my invisibility cloak on.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

Mine seemed to be mainly different views near the finish line. I took the sunnies off in that final stretch, pro that I am. :D

Would have also put the sponsor's cap on if I had a sponsor.
Last edited by clackers on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:51 am

clackers wrote:Mine seemed to be mainly different views near the finish line.
Same here, apart from two where I saw the photographer coming up on the Altona foreshore and gave a thumbs up sign. :P

snark

Postby snark » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 am

I had a couple of photos in a group somewhere towards Sorrento and another two on the hill just outside Point Lonsdale.

For the finish line photos, there's a bunch of people that look like they're all wearing the same jersey. One of the people in any of those photos might be me...

I remember seeing a photographer on the sharp pinch (Oliver's Hill?) but there's no photos of that.

SWMBO and I have decided we don't need to spend any money on photos.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

andyg5

Postby andyg5 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 am

With the photos last year, I had 14 clear photos where I was identified from my rider number. This year I have 3 shots from a distance of me on the finish line, and they are asking $29.90 for the original image. Good luck.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 am

Seems as though they have had trouble ID'ing some people. I have a photo of me and a mate in front of the bathing huts at Rye or wherever it was. We are both clearly in the photo, yet it isnt in his link. I scored 7 in total, 3-4 of which were at the finish line. I also scored a finish line video. He got 3 finish line pics and no video (we only finished with our group of 6, well spread out and we were in corporate team kit rather than the event jersey). The 2 of us rode together the entire day, only difference we can make out is my ID thingo was fairly flat & straight, his was curved.