Around the Bay 2013

jamesn184

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby jamesn184 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:44 pm

The Wiggle rides are max $80 and route can be up to 155km and stocked with High5 products and real food to

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:41 pm

skull wrote:I come from a different region
so in ACT - Fitz's, the big Canberra bike ride and the ACT version of the 5 peaks.
in Tas - the opperman gran fondo and a few others.
Okay.

Let's be aware that you're thinking in terms of an event with 5000 metres of climbing.

Instead, you're getting around a bay.

The water or snack stops for Fitz's and ATB are below:

https://sitedesq.imgstg.com/custompage/ ... 6201137249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media ... 0KM_02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone of your ability will not be stopping at all or even most of these points (they're for the benefit of a ten hour kind of guy like me).

There are towns and cities all around the course that will be happy to do you a good cappuccino or quiche. I once saw the guys on a tandem pull into a KFC. Bet that didn't happen at Honeysuckle Creek!

You can supplement lunch at Sorrento with a $20 valet drop off of whatever you want in clothing or your own specialized food or parts or whatever.

Have fun though. It's a mass participation event, one of the world's biggest; there could be 17,000 riders annoying the cr@p out of motorists that day.

This includes a mass of very casual cyclists who will display very ordinary road etiquette and skills, but there will also be a lot of smiles and camaraderie. :)

skull

Postby skull » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks clackers.

Still pretty excited to get down and ride it still.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:04 pm

the food issue doesnt bother me.

I will carry what I did last year stuffed into the jersey pockets
8 x Gels
6 x winners museli bars
4 vegemite sandwiches (crusts cut of so they squish & fold up)
1 tube of Gu Bru. Just drop a tab into the bottle every time I fill up
some cash for some coke, I got it at frankston last year

Now I didnt eat all that stuff last year but as a former boy scout I was prepared and it wasnt too much to carry as I still had a pump and a rain jacket in the pockets also.

The other organised rides I have done have had some gels and protein bars but not a lunch.

If your picking a ride based on the food supplied there wont be many options out there. The only thing that puts me off the ABD is the wait for the ferry and if my experience of last year is repeated I doubt I would sign up for 2014
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:the food issue doesnt bother me.

8 x Gels
6 x winners museli bars

Now I didnt eat all that stuff last year but as a former boy scout I was prepared and it wasnt too much to carry as I still had a pump and a rain jacket in the pockets also.

The other organised rides I have done have had some gels and protein bars but not a lunch.

If your picking a ride based on the food supplied there wont be many options out there. The only thing that puts me off the ABD is the wait for the ferry and if my experience of last year is repeated I doubt I would sign up for 2014
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

VRE

Postby VRE » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:54 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
djw47 wrote:
VRE wrote:and the casual weekend rides are even cheaper and better stocked :wink: . In Feb 2010, I rode around the Bay on a Saturday, with my bike the only one on the ferry, and it was very enjoyable. Then in Oct I did the official mass ride, and enjoyed it less than the Feb ride. I thought I should enter ATBIAD once just to see what the fuss is about, but I feel no great desire to repeat that.
What route do you take to get to Geelong when doing it on your own? I assume it's not the west gate or freeway?
At a guess - federation trail to Werribee then onto the highway. IIRC its illegal to cycle on the FWY between Werribee & City, definately is on the bridge.
No, from Werribee it was the back roads north and west of the freeway, with a short side trip to the You Yangs. I've only done this once, by the way. The part of my route between Docklands and Geelong was something like: Footscray Rd, Whitehall St, Hyde St, Douglas Pde, The Strand, Ferguson St, Kororoit Creek Rd, Millers Rd, Queen St, Central Ave, Point Cook Rd, Sneydes Rd, a short bit of Princes Hwy, Bulban Rd, Edgars Rd, You Yangs Rd, Farrars Rd, Branch Rd, Forest Rd (North + South).

snark

Postby snark » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Regarding food, does anyone know what the "lunch" was in previous years? I'm wondering on whether to count on that, or just rely on my own food.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:55 am

Based on my (poor) memory sandwich, piece of fruit, a sports drink and something else I cant remember, maybe a gel?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 am

im_no_pro wrote:Based on my (poor) memory sandwich, piece of fruit, a sports drink and something else I cant remember, maybe a gel?
Sounds about right. I seem to remember something sweetish too. Fruit cake or muffin. Everybody needs different amounts but I don't remember needing much anything extra apart from a coffee :-). At the finish they were giving away bean and tuna cans which were welcome by lunch..

migz05

Postby migz05 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:27 am

kb wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Based on my (poor) memory sandwich, piece of fruit, a sports drink and something else I cant remember, maybe a gel?
Sounds about right. I seem to remember something sweetish too. Fruit cake or muffin. Everybody needs different amounts but I don't remember needing much anything extra apart from a coffee :-). At the finish they were giving away bean and tuna cans which were welcome by lunch..
from what i remember there were no shortages of bananas.. i remember getting a few before getting on board the ferry.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 2011
Malvern Star Switch 29-3

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:46 pm

joshnh wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:the food issue doesnt bother me.

8 x Gels
6 x winners museli bars

lol
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Has anyone not received their rider pack yet?
I still haven't got mine -_- and that doesn't give me enough time to complain about the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! scody jersey lol

neild

Postby neild » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Did you tick the box and pay the extra $12 or so to have it delivered? I think you had to do that. Otherwise pick it up the week before the ride. All the other people I know who paid to have it delivered have theirs already.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 pm

neild wrote:Did you tick the box and pay the extra $12 or so to have it delivered? I think you had to do that. Otherwise pick it up the week before the ride. All the other people I know who paid to have it delivered have theirs already.
+1, everyone I know that went with the post option has theirs.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 pm

jamesn184 wrote:The Wiggle rides are max $80 and route can be up to 155km and stocked with High5 products and real food to
Try the challenge rides run by Cycling Victoria. Mechanical support, sag wagon, well stocked stops with fruit, cakes, lollies PowerBar gels, bars and drinks, nice quiet country roads. I've done rides organised by Rotary clubs that were $50 for 100+k's which have had proper stocked rest stops and a free BBQ afterwards. And none of them charge people postage just to have the ride pack posted to them. This thread confirms everything I've ever been told about ATB, avoid like the plague.

PBF

Postby PBF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 am

danny the boy wrote:
Try the challenge rides run by Cycling Victoria. Mechanical support, sag wagon, well stocked stops with fruit, cakes, lollies PowerBar gels, bars and drinks, nice quiet country roads. I've done rides organised by Rotary clubs that were $50 for 100+k's which have had proper stocked rest stops and a free BBQ afterwards. And none of them charge people postage just to have the ride pack posted to them. This thread confirms everything I've ever been told about ATB, avoid like the plague.
Do these sorts of rides require a membership to participate? Also, are they races, or more of a go your own pace like ATB?

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 am

PBF wrote:Do these sorts of rides require a membership to participate? Also, are they races, or more of a go your own pace like ATB?
No membership required. 100% recreational, just like the ATB.

Also, refer to this comment I posted on this thread earlier:
joshnh wrote:The Challenge series rides are very well organised and only cost $200 for four events (120–160 km each) plus a series jersey if you sign up for all of them at once.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:49 am

danny the boy wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:The Wiggle rides are max $80 and route can be up to 155km and stocked with High5 products and real food to
My highlight. This is the big difference between many of the rides mentioned and ATB. The cost of traffic control for ATB would astronomically outweigh the traffic control cost for most of the alternatives being suggested here.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 am

PBF wrote:
danny the boy wrote:
Do these sorts of rides require a membership to participate? Also, are they races, or more of a go your own pace like ATB?
The Cycling Vic rides require silver membership which is part of the entry cost, If you already have it then the rides are cheaper (about $50). Its well worth it as the membership includes an insurance that covers you for any time you are riding your bike and the membership lasts for a year. Not races, recreational rides.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 am

im_no_pro wrote:
danny the boy wrote:
My highlight. This is the big difference between many of the rides mentioned and ATB. The cost of traffic control for ATB would astronomically outweigh the traffic control cost for most of the alternatives being suggested here.
Apart from the bridge what traffic control do they do? Every ride I've done has had people marshalling at every turn off, quite a few have had people with lollipop signs stopping traffic at roundabouts.

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 pm

DoogleDave wrote:It could be alot cheaper if they didnt impose the mandatory jersey purchase (and wearing of on the day)....but I can appreciate all the organisation etc that goes on behind the scenes. It is expensive but considering most of the sportif events could be ridden on any other weekend for free, you could argue the same for many.

I agree...it either appeals to you or it doesnt.

Dave
Agreed. I mean, what's the stop someone from riding M>S>M on the day? It's not like the roads are closed to the public or anything.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:44 pm

jimmyjames wrote:
DoogleDave wrote:It could be alot cheaper if they didnt impose the mandatory jersey purchase (and wearing of on the day)....but I can appreciate all the organisation etc that goes on behind the scenes. It is expensive but considering most of the sportif events could be ridden on any other weekend for free, you could argue the same for many.

I agree...it either appeals to you or it doesnt.

Dave
Agreed. I mean, what's the stop someone from riding M>S>M on the day? It's not like the roads are closed to the public or anything.
What's to stop someone riding M>S>M on any other day? I've done M>S>M numerous times, and I can guarantee you it would be better on any other day than ATBIAD day. You can stop in Sorrento, have lunch at a cafe, then ride back. I found them very relaxing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to do ATBIAD, by the way, just pointing out that if you want to do a similar ride, and don't wish to buy a jersey, etc., then just do it on any other weekend.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 pm

VRE wrote: What's to stop someone riding M>S>M on any other day? I've done M>S>M numerous times, and I can guarantee you it would be better on any other day than ATBIAD day. You can stop in Sorrento, have lunch at a cafe, then ride back. I found them very relaxing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to do ATBIAD, by the way, just pointing out that if you want to do a similar ride, and don't wish to buy a jersey, etc., then just do it on any other weekend.
Exactly. In fact a few of my friends who are doing the 250 this year rode from Pt Melb to Dromana and back last Sunday (round trip of 150km's)
Had they have continued on to Sorrento and back they wold have completed the same journey for no entry fee (and admittedly no external support).

The added advantage is that they missed out dodging the tacks that the locals like to scatter on the roads for the lovely ATBer's to puncture on.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Last year I got a jersey size M and it fits pretty well. This year it seems I will have to change my jersey for an S as the M is to big. Anybody else have a similar experience?

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes, very looong jerseys. Just assumed it was 'Australian' sizing to accommodate our increase in affluenza..
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red