Around the Bay 2013

coffeeandwine

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:16 am

djw47 wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
djw47 wrote:I picked up my kit yesterday, I seem to remember there was a number for pinning onto the jersey last year, but nothing this year, is my memory playing up?

You should have got a # plate for the front of your bike (with the RFID timing chips on the back), nothing for your jersey though.

Yeah, that's what I got, I could have sworn there was a jersey number too last year, maybe not.

last year was just the number on the bike-wierd attachment with poor instructions, but not for the jersey. I reckon last year for jersey numbers was 2011.

yarravalleyplodder wrote:sounds like there will be a head wind for those of us doing-anti clickwise

yeh for the last bit. at least it will blow us down to Geelong and Queenscliff and not the 40kmh head wind from a few years ago whilst trying to make the ferry!

Have a great ride everyone, and stay safe.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Well if it aint done now it aint getting done! Arms and shoulders are still bloody sore from a weights session on Thursday night, that could be interesting.

Im doing the 135, will be in John West corporate team kit on a blue Fuji. Feel free to shout out.

Safe (and enjoyable) riding to all. And bugger off Northerly!!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

AJ.ROK

Postby AJ.ROK » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:08 am

I'm at Safety Beach and winds are quite strong now.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:45 am

Siting waiting for ferry

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Gotta say that was the hardest 100kms I have ever done. Damn you Melbourne Northerlies and hayfever.

Just over 4 hours for me now time for a nap and a beer..............

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:48 pm

That. Wind. Sucked. Sitting on the train to geelong hoping they dont start kicking bikes off.

Edit: theyve stopped letting them on. Fingers crossed, i really dont want to wait another hour.

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm

im_no_pro wrote:That. Wind. Sucked. Sitting on the train to geelong hoping they dont start kicking bikes off.

Edit: theyve stopped letting them on. Fingers crossed, i really dont want to wait another hour.

Second edit: we were one of the lucky ones. Bext train is an hour off and already theres enough bikes to more than fill the spots.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:Gotta say that was the hardest 100kms I have ever done. Damn you Melbourne Northerlies and hayfever.

Just over 4 hours for me now time for a nap and a beer..............

30 degrees, too! Quite a few people recovering at the side of the road from their efforts.

My wife and I did that 100km (first for her, pedal-triggered electric assistance) from Sorrento - just took it easy into the wind, hanging off one group of battlers after another.

Felt today wasn't the day to introduce to her the concept of doing our turn at the front. :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:Gotta say that was the hardest 100kms I have ever done. Damn you Melbourne Northerlies and hayfever.

Ditto ..
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

PBF

Postby PBF » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:31 pm

After deciding fairly late that I would do it, then doing far less training than I had planned, I finished the 210km clockwise. It was the third ride over 50kms I'd done, and I did 3 other rides about the 40km mark.

I knew I was under prepared, but didn't know how under it was.

Congrats to all that rode today. Conditions were a little rough.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Well if it aint done now it aint getting done! Arms and shoulders are still bloody sore from a weights session on Thursday night, that could be interesting.

Im doing the 135, will be in John West corporate team kit on a blue Fuji. Feel free to shout out.

Safe (and enjoyable) riding to all. And bugger off Northerly!!

Reckon I probably saw you but didn't read this until tonight! Hope you had a great ride. Hubby and did the 135 as well - thrilled to finish after my recent illness, even finished about 45 minutes or so ahead of the other half!

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Missed the news after driving to get home, but son says he heard that a woman was clipped by a caravan and died on the ride today. I really hope not, but does anyone know anything?

PBF

Postby PBF » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm

TraceyG wrote:Missed the news after driving to get home, but son says he heard that a woman was clipped by a caravan and died on the ride today. I really hope not, but does anyone know anything?

Went past while ambos were attending. Wasn't much movement, but also wasn't anything to suggest fatal. News report says just injuries. Don't really like speculating on these things though.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 pm

A cyclist participating in the 'Around the Bay in a Day' event has been hit by vehicle on the Princes Freeway near the Lara exit.

Paramedics say the female in her 40s suffered non-life threatening injuries.

She has been taken to the Geelong Hospital with what is believed to be a broken arm.

Strong wind is believed to have caused the woman to be blown into a car towing a caravan at around 1.30pm this afternoon.

The crash has caused significant traffic delays.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 pm

SuperSix wrote:A cyclist participating in the 'Around the Bay in a Day' event has been hit by vehicle on the Princes Freeway near the Lara exit.

Paramedics say the female in her 40s suffered non-life threatening injuries.

She has been taken to the Geelong Hospital with what is believed to be a broken arm.

Strong wind is believed to have caused the woman to be blown into a car towing a caravan at around 1.30pm this afternoon.

The crash has caused significant traffic delays.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that it wasn't any worse, but would have been devastating for all involved.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:30 pm

This year's 210 was harder than last year's 250. Thanks, wind.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:36 pm

well my day started out great but ended early

I smashed it down to queenscliff, rolled up about 9:50 and got waived onto the 10am ferry

got off at sorento and the wind had picked up. I got to frankston feeling it, place my bike on the ground. Another rider tried to hold his bike up by resting the pedal on a bit of concrete, of course it fell over and onto my bike :evil: he promptly picked his bike up, apologised and left

about 5 minutes later I left and as I change up gears I hear and almighty crunch and the rear derailleur managed to shear itself off the hanger, totally sieze up the chain and bent 2 spokes

I walked back to the mechanical support, they had a look and thought the could turn my bike into a single speed but the chain was too far gone :cry:

My day was done 161km in as I was heading for a good a good time.

I am not sure if the guy dropping his bike on mine did the damage, the mechanic doubts this, or it happened on the ferry or the couple of times the chain got locked up as I was going into the big ring, it really doent matter, no chain and no derailleur meant that I walked to frankston station, took the train to richmond and walked to my car feeling pretty dejected and looking at a decent repair bill. I was questioning whether or not if I will do the ABD again and I am leaning towards not, its a long flat slog and I think I prefer to climb some hills and go down em.

On the bright side I am still in one piece and I still managed a truck load of strava pb's on the way to queenscliff
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:13 pm

TraceyG wrote:
Reckon I probably saw you but didn't read this until tonight! Hope you had a great ride. Hubby and did the 135 as well - thrilled to finish after my recent illness, even finished about 45 minutes or so ahead of the other half!

Distinctly possible. 2 of use were a bit stronger than the other 4 which meant we were yoyo-ing groups all day going off on our own then dropping back. Pretty sure there was people I passed 7-8 times lol.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 pm

I hear and almighty crunch and the rear derailleur managed to shear itself off the hanger, totally sieze up the chain and bent 2 spokes

Bad luck. Rotten way to end a ride. I saw a guy walk his bike into the bike cafe at Black Rock about 10:45 with the same issue. His day was over as well I imagine.

snark

Postby snark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Got through the 210 clockwise. For a special bonus, it was a 219km on my Garmin. A free 9km!

Well wasn't that wind from Geelong to about Laverton just the best fun? Talked to a guy at the Werribee rest stop and he said this was the worst of the 5 ATBs he'd done.

Smashed the start to Sorrento, and missed the ferry by 2 minutes :(. Perhaps in hindsight the extra hours rest might not have been a bad thing. Hitched on to a guy on a TT bike from somewhere on the Bellarine all the way to Geelong. At a set of lights I said "I'm just hanging on, hope you don't mind" and he said he said "No worries, I'm having a great time!". And then the wind, oh the wind. A big thanks to three Irish guys down from Brisbane who dragged me along the last 30 or so km without pulling a turn at the front.

Right now, I'm happy to have ticked this off my list and have no plans to ever do it again. We'll see how that theory goes when entries open next year :).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

kman

Postby kman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 pm

did the 250km anticlockwise.. about 50km into the ride was with a pack going at about 40kmh I reckon... I hit a damn metal bar and flew off my bike. Ripped jersey, bleeding legs, sore wrist and shoulder. badly torn saddle and handlebar tape. Fortunately no mechanical damage and managed to finish my ride in agony.

and I Missed the 10am ferry :(

snark

Postby snark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Dimis wrote:Simon, it is a jump of sorts from 140km with hills to 210km without.
The jump is backwards! Infact the 210km may prove underwhelming.
Your legs would have more than enough to get you around.

It's just a matter of whether you can sit comfortably on your bike for 6-7hrs for you to get around.

Just to return to this ... good theory until the wind got me :).
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Love all the stories, guys and gals. Keep 'em coming ...

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 am

snark wrote:
Dimis wrote:Simon, it is a jump of sorts from 140km with hills to 210km without.
The jump is backwards! Infact the 210km may prove underwhelming.
Your legs would have more than enough to get you around.

It's just a matter of whether you can sit comfortably on your bike for 6-7hrs for you to get around.

Just to return to this ... good theory until the wind got me :).

My apologies... I didn't factor such strong winds.
But I was right. No?!
Your legs had more than enough. :)

Well done Snark.
Great effort and 70km more than your longest previous ride is a super achievement.
Congrats

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

kman wrote:did the 250km anticlockwise.. about 50km into the ride was with a pack going at about 40kmh I reckon... I hit a damn metal bar and flew off my bike. Ripped jersey, bleeding legs, sore wrist and shoulder. badly torn saddle and handlebar tape. Fortunately no mechanical damage and managed to finish my ride in agony.

and I Missed the 10am ferry :(

Kman - that's terrible to hear.
Glad to hear you're ok, and it wasn't any worse.

Just a quick question - do you ride a white orbea?