Princes Bridge Bike Lane

Princes Bridge Bike Lane

Postby blktreacle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm

What is everyones thoughts on the Princes Bridge bike lane?
i think it is good and necessary, but my gf thinks it is a stupid idea.
blktreacle

by BNA » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm

BNA

Re: Princes Bridge Bike Lane

Postby open roader » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm

It's early days..........lets see if the driver backlash recedes during the 3 month trial period..........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Absolutely brilliant. About time we got more than 6 inches. The cars did look a bit more banked up this morning but I was a bit earlier than usual. They just get stuck later on anyway. Princes Bridge is a conduit to Swanston St, Swanston St is a no car zone, it makes little sense to be funneling thousands of cars to the corner of Flinders and Swanston from where they have nowhere to go. Now for the South bound lane.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:02 pm

will make no difference to traffic flow:
"That valve that allows you into Flinders Street has not altered. It is still letting through 19 to 20 cars on each cycle."

the single lane means longer queues, not longer delays. motorists are an irrational lot - these are the same people who speed up to red lights to save time.
jules21

Postby blktreacle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm

jules21 wrote:will make no difference to traffic flow:
"That valve that allows you into Flinders Street has not altered. It is still letting through 19 to 20 cars on each cycle."

the single lane means longer queues, not longer delays. motorists are an irrational lot - these are the same people who speed up to red lights to save time.

that is exactly what i was trying to tell my gf, but she refused to understand.
i reckon if it means less people are driving into town as well then its a win for cyclists and public transport
blktreacle

Postby LugNut » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am

Sounds like you have the right idea there, tell her to stop getting her information from the Ferald Scum newspaper :lol: Honestly, I'd like to see steps taken towards making Melbourne CBD completely car free. A city should be designed for people, not for cars, and it's good to see that Melbourne council is beginning to prioritising walking, cycling and public transport over roads. It makes for a healthier, safer, quieter and more liveable space for everybody. It's quite amazing to think of the liberties that we forfeit by prioritising car use over other forms of transport. Next time Melbourne CBD has the 'White Night', and the city is closed off to cars, stand in the middle of that intersection with your girlfriend and look around, then ask her again if she dislikes it.
LugNut

Return to Victoria