MAGPIES!!!!

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby clackers » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 am

Mike Ayling wrote:
My wife has the same idea with the mince and so far we have not been attacked


Hand your lunch money over to them, Mike! :)
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

by BNA » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

BNA
 

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby macca33 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

On this morning's ride I was struck for the first time this year - one of our feathered friends snuck up behind me all silent-like. All I heard was the last-minute whoosh and the bang of the beak striking my helmet....little bugger.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

Image
macca33
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby danny the boy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Haven't been done yet this year, but I'm avoiding the places where I know will cop it. Anyone got any theories on different times of the day that they are most likely to have a go at you? Mornings before 9-10 they seem to be more occupied with hunting for food. From memory I think most of the times I have been swooped in the past have been closer to midday or the afternoon.
Image
danny the boy
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 pm

1st week of September and the Magpies are already gone...
Dimis
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Had 5 separate attacks over the weekend that just passed (3 on Sat, 2 on Sun).

One decided it would be a good idea to start its attack just as I was starting a descent down a winding hill.
I tried riding downhill one-handed holding the brakes on to slow my descent, whilst using the other hand to wave it over my helmet to deter the magpie making contact, but I started picking up too much speed and decided it would be safer to get swooped than come off my bike, so I went into full tuck/aero position on the drops and descended as quickly and safely as possible (allowing the magpie make contact on my helmet half a dozen times or so). After a couple of turns in the road I must have reached the end of the birds territory because it simply ended its attack, turned around and flew back to its nest.

One local guy came off his bike on Sunday after trying to evade a swooping bird during a ride and ended up in hospital (thankfully no major damage done).

So please be careful everyone as things can get out of control quickly and accidents can happen.
If you are being swooped, try to stay as calm as possible and move out of the area as quickly and safely as you can and if the situation has you worried for your safety (eg other traffic around etc), it would be wise to dismount your bike and walk out of the area (defending/shielding yourself from any attacks - if need be, hold your bike above your head).

The last thing you want to do is become distracted and come off your bike, putting yourself in danger of being hit by traffic.

And the best prevention is to simply avoid known magpie swooping areas, particularly if the bird is known to be quite aggressive.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby macca33 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 pm

I can beat that Dave!!!

Today's ride consisted of 6 separate attacks.

1. Bloomfield Rd Nilma - a few nasty warning chirps and an out of range fly-by.

2. Bloomfield Rd Nilma North - 2 x birds tag-teamed me for around 12-15 swoops, many within a foot or two as I s l o w l y climbed the 6%'er - didn't want to rush as I wanted Z1/2 HR.....lol

3. Old Sale Rd - 2 x separate warning chirps - nil swoopings.

4. Shady Creek - Darnum Rd - the same bird that got me the other day - swooped strongly, like an Me109 out of the sun, but missed me today!

5. Shady Creek - Danum Rd, near Sthur's - again, chirps and fly-by only

6. Back to attack No. 1 in this list - chirp and fly-by only.

They certainly are determined little buggers! :lol:

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

Image
macca33
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54 am

There's a rather aggressive magpie on Rockbank Blvd Caroline springs just past the big round about
the bugger kept on me for a good 50 meters
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 am

jamesn184 wrote:There's a rather aggressive magpie on Rockbank Blvd Caroline springs just past the big round about
the bugger kept on me for a good 50 meters


Hi James,
Do you mean on Rockbank Middle Rd (heading towards Westwood Dve), opposite where the footy oval is on the corner - or further along Rockbank Middle Rd?

If you can let me know I can add the location to a magpie map I have been putting together on the Melton Cyclng Club website
http://goo.gl/maps/XY6GG

Cheers,
Dave

PS. Macca, that sounds like a fun ride - NOT! I'm over swooping maggies already and the season has only just started.
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 am

Dimis wrote:1st week of September and the Magpies are already gone...


So we should actually wear Port Adelaide scarves? :)
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am

Heading towards Clarke rd/The parkway
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby kb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:45 am

Got a couple of swoops on the way to the dandenongs on sunday, but was more surprised to be swooped by a couple of rosellas around emerald! I didn't think they did that.
Image
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Heading towards Clarke rd/The parkway


Thanks James. I've added it to the map - hopefully I put the marker in the right place.
If not let me know and I can re-position it.

http://goo.gl/maps/skn8I

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:13 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:Heading towards Clarke rd/The parkway


Thanks James. I've added it to the map - hopefully I put the marker in the right place.
If not let me know and I can re-position it.

http://goo.gl/maps/skn8I

Cheers,
Dave


I think its sitting in the trees opp St Georges Ave

I noticed this year on the left side heading towards Deer Park along Ballarat Rd where the bus stop is theres no magpie this year thank god
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

jamesn184 wrote:I think its sitting in the trees opp St Georges Ave


Thanks James. I have moved the marker on the map accordngly :-)

jamesn184 wrote:I noticed this year on the left side heading towards Deer Park along Ballarat Rd where the bus stop is theres no magpie this year thank god


I thought so as well, until last Sunday when I got swooped.
Perhaps it was a one-off on Sunday as I often ride past that way and haven't seen the bird until Sunday.

I might leave it on there for now and see what happens the next few times I pass that way. If the area continues to remain "swoop-free" then I'll remove the marker from the map.

If you happen to come across any others on your travels, feel free to let me know and I can add it to the map.

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:50 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I think its sitting in the trees opp St Georges Ave


Thanks James. I have moved the marker on the map accordngly :-)

jamesn184 wrote:I noticed this year on the left side heading towards Deer Park along Ballarat Rd where the bus stop is theres no magpie this year thank god


I thought so as well, until last Sunday when I got swooped.
Perhaps it was a one-off on Sunday as I often ride past that way and haven't seen the bird until Sunday.

I might leave it on there for now and see what happens the next few times I pass that way. If the area continues to remain "swoop-free" then I'll remove the marker from the map.

If you happen to come across any others on your travels, feel free to let me know and I can add it to the map.

Cheers,
Dave


Well I've gone past there during daylight hours going home to C/S and yet to see it there.. maybe it doesn't like me this year :)
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Dave,

How bad are those magpies near the end of Melton Hwy? and the one on the climb up Gisborne Melton Hwy?
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Dave,

How bad are those magpies near the end of Melton Hwy? and the one on the climb up Gisborne Melton Hwy?


James,
The one's at the end of Melton Hwy, coming into Melton, patrol the trees to the left and right as you come out of the dip and will chase you until you're near the top of the rise (heading towards Melton), but they're aggressiveness is perhaps average.
If you do go that way, be careful when you go through the dip just before that magpie point, as they have been doing roadworks and barriers basically force you to ride in the lane as you go through the dip - which is fine as long as the drivers doing 80+ km/h coming from behind you are attentive and slow down for you.
I haven't been through there in little while so perhaps the barriers are no longer there - but if they are, be careful!

The worst magpie in that area to watch is the one that patrols the roundabout at the end of High St (near the McDonalds).
That one chases you is whichever direction you go through the roundabout and likes to have quite a go at your helmet (at least last time I encountered that bird last season).
I have made sure to stay clear of that roundabout this year.

As for the one on the climb to Gisborne, I haven't personally experienced that bird but another MCC member did 2 weeks ago and didn't appreciate trying to climb whilst evading the bird.

I also found a new one this morning which I will add to the map shortly - down Plumpton Rd, from Melton Hwy heading towards Diggers Rest.
As the road climbs from the roundabout (heading down Plumpton Rd, from Melton Hwy) you will pass the quarry entrance on your left and just up from there the trees on the left hand side begin - and a magpie sits atop the very first tree and has a go at any riders going by.
Its not so bad coming towards Melton Hwy as you're coming downhill and can pass with speed, but going towards Diggers Rest (and against a Northerly wind), the bird has more time to chase you.
It didn't make contact but continually swooped in very close proximity.

Oh the joy....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:Dave,

How bad are those magpies near the end of Melton Hwy? and the one on the climb up Gisborne Melton Hwy?


James,
The one's at the end of Melton Hwy, coming into Melton, patrol the trees to the left and right as you come out of the dip and will chase you until you're near the top of the rise (heading towards Melton), but they're aggressiveness is perhaps average.
If you do go that way, be careful when you go through the dip just before that magpie point, as they have been doing roadworks and barriers basically force you to ride in the lane as you go through the dip - which is fine as long as the drivers doing 80+ km/h coming from behind you are attentive and slow down for you.
I haven't been through there in little while so perhaps the barriers are no longer there - but if they are, be careful!

The worst magpie in that area to watch is the one that patrols the roundabout at the end of High St (near the McDonalds).
That one chases you is whichever direction you go through the roundabout and likes to have quite a go at your helmet (at least last time I encountered that bird last season).
I have made sure to stay clear of that roundabout this year.

As for the one on the climb to Gisborne, I haven't personally experienced that bird but another MCC member did 2 weeks ago and didn't appreciate trying to climb whilst evading the bird.

I also found a new one this morning which I will add to the map shortly - down Plumpton Rd, from Melton Hwy heading towards Diggers Rest.
As the road climbs from the roundabout (heading down Plumpton Rd, from Melton Hwy) you will pass the quarry entrance on your left and just up from there the trees on the left hand side begin - and a magpie sits atop the very first tree and has a go at any riders going by.
Its not so bad coming towards Melton Hwy as you're coming downhill and can pass with speed, but going towards Diggers Rest (and against a Northerly wind), the bird has more time to chase you.
It didn't make contact but continually swooped in very close proximity.

Oh the joy....

Dave


Well I used to ride up Plumpton rd towards Diggers rest but haven't in a while... Ill continue that until summer :)
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:52 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Well I used to ride up Plumpton rd towards Diggers rest but haven't in a while... Ill continue that until summer :)


Little buggers....they're patrolling along all the good routes now.

I don't remember this one being there last season as I often rode up that way, but I'm the same - haven't been that way for a while and will skip going that way for a while longer.

At least the Gourlay Rd - Melton Hwy - Plumpton Rd - Taylors Rd circuit is swoop-free (for the time being).

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby danny the boy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:12 pm

One has set up about 50 metres from my driveway, for some reason he hadn't bothered with me until this weekend. It's now war, we had a mexican stand off today, I was expecting him after yesterday so I approached with caution and then he flew out of the trees and waited for me on top of the powerlines so I just stopped and stared him down. He got sick of waiting and flew off about 100 m away so I thought I'd won for the day. WRONG, I pedal forward no less 20 metres and I can see him coming back low and full tilt straight towards me, so I get my Cavendish on and try to sprint to my door, looking over my shoulder its no use this thing must be doing 60-70km/h and before I know it he zooms past my ear snapping his beak. I stop my bike on full alert in between a couple of parked cars and see he is back on top of the power lines. I unclip and walk the rest of the way home with bike in hand.

Bird 1 Me 0. (actually its probably 2 to the bird after he swooped about 4 times on Saturday)
Image
danny the boy
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 pm

mexicanmagic wrote:Well, it must be an early spring, yesterday I got hammered by a nasty one on the Knox trail. Scared the living daylights out of me. What do others do to avoid being killed by these aggressive buggers? Do the zip ties work? What about the eye stickers?


Rode on Knox Trail this morning, and got swooped twice... On the second one, I lost my balance and went over the bar... Darn bird....
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"
kimmie
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:38 am

It's a pitty its illegal to shoot the damn things... the way I look at it is that its self defense.
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 am

Dave,

Got another one for you on Diggers rest Rd roughly 50 meters before the bridge just before the Toolern general store
This one had a few goes but was a bit sloppy on his swoops.. may have been deterred by me swinging my bidon at it :p
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 pm

A solution ??

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18502
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: MAGPIES!!!!

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:56 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Dave,

Got another one for you on Diggers rest Rd roughly 50 meters before the bridge just before the Toolern general store
This one had a few goes but was a bit sloppy on his swoops.. may have been deterred by me swinging my bidon at it :p


Thanks James, I've added this one to the map.

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit