Alpine Classic 2014

singlespeedscott

Re: Alpine Classic 2014

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 am

madmarsupial wrote:It was a mixed ride for me this year.

I completed the 250 in 2012 and did the nasty 3 x MtBuffalo ride last year.

Work was a problem in October and November, so my preparation was less than ideal. However, I was hoping to at least equal my 2012 moving time and pick up overall with quicker stops.

On track to Harrietville and only 3 mins behind at The Meg. About 15 mins behind 2012 at Dargo Road. Then I was about 1.5km from the top of the climb when my adductor muscles went all spasmo on me and I had to walk for a bit. Result was 30 mins down at Dinner Plain.

Managed to sneak 5 mins back by Omeo and another 5 mins by Angler's Rest, so I was thinking I might be ok.

Up the back of Falls Creek is the nasty spot and after successfully riding out of the 'OMGosh' or 'WT?' corner I thought I was hanging on ok.

However, a couple of clicks past the Shannonvale water stop it hit me. I was alone (riders a few mins ahead and behind) and I started to struggle. I calculated that I had 10-12km to ride of this 9-12% road and that I'd be about another 1.75 hours before getting to Raspberry Hill. This was not a fun calculation and I ended up in the back of a ute and then the Broom Van.

In hindsight I should have been able to do it - but I think that being alone at the worst point of the course was critical. That and being 5kg too heavy and probably 5% under prepared.

*sigh*

Maybe next year...

On a positive note: Volunteering for a few hours on Saturday was fun.
Why did did you get in the van? Was it a time thing in regard to finishing within the maximum time limit or because you wouldn't beat last years time?

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 am

I had a flat just before harrietville so was a bit behind . I think I saw you walking up my hotham. I thought that can't be good this early in the day.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 am

I did the 200 and had a great ride. I've been trying to crack 8 hrs for a couple of years and completed in 7.35 this year so very happy with that. 8) All those winter repeats up Mt Lofty paid off.

Does anyone know what numbers were like this year? It seemed to me that they were well down on previous. As usual the event was brilliantly run. A huge thanks to the organisers and volunteers for their efforts.
Certified Brand Snob

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

The clash with TDU wouldn't have helped numbers wise. I know quite a few cyclists who were over there watching it. I don't know if it always clashes?

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am

warthog1 wrote:The clash with TDU wouldn't have helped numbers wise. I know quite a few cyclists who were over there watching it. I don't know if it always clashes?
yep, it seems to. the numbers did seem a bit down. maybe people are shifting to 3 peaks? i don't know why, i'd much rather ride in summer than march up there.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Why did did you get in the van? Was it a time thing in regard to finishing within the maximum time limit or because you wouldn't beat last years time?
Just a mental failure I think. I couldn't face doing nearly another two hours at the pace I was going on that hill. When I was sitting at Raspberry Hill (after ride in ute, but waiting for bus) I knew I could finish from there - but once you've accepted a lift you have to withdraw. I would have probably finished in an overall time similar to 2012 if I had completed.

In hindsight I should have sat in the shade on the right of the road for 10+ mins until the next rider came along and then worked together.

Never underestimate the mental 'yips' after 8 hours on a bike...

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: Does anyone know what numbers were like this year? It seemed to me that they were well down on previous. As usual the event was brilliantly run. A huge thanks to the organisers and volunteers for their efforts.
Other riders had the same observation, although they though the 4 am Buffalo 200 event spread the field out a bit. I must admit I didn't have any trouble getting an early dinner with the kids in Bright on the Saturday night, which is not what I expected at all.

Maybe the bushfires from last year turned people off? I honestly would prefer to ride the Alps in March or November. I'd rather take the increased risk of cold weather over extreme heat/fires.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 pm

I was told by a couple of volunteers that there were 300 less entries this year. On the road it would have looked like more because of the additional departure times and routes.
Maybe next year I will try the 200 again. Leaving at 4 am to do the traditional 200 route in reverse kinda interests me, as it does other long term AAC riders.

madmarsupial

Postby madmarsupial » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

jimsheedy wrote:I had a flat just before harrietville so was a bit behind . I think I saw you walking up my hotham. I thought that can't be good this early in the day.
I was walking just before the photographer, but only for a short bit.

Steel bike, half green and half bare (stainless). Hi-viz wind vest (i.e. proper one, not the handed out job).

gavin_rider

Postby gavin_rider » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

jules21 wrote:The numbers did seem a bit down. Maybe people are shifting to 3 peaks?
Three peaks 2014 sold out last week. Bicycle Network have said they aren't taking any more registrations. Its been capped at 1,700 riders (or thereabouts).