Metroplitan Ring Road trail closed

Metroplitan Ring Road trail closed

Postby Paul 1965 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 pm

After riding to Williamstown yesterday from Coburg via the Upfield bike path to Royal Park then via the Capital City trail to Footscray Rd then finally via the Williamstown trail to Williamstown and then back home same way, today I decided I would head North. My plan was to ride from Preston to Thomastown via the St Georges Rd trail to Reservoir and then via the Cheddar Rd trail to the ring road trail which would take me over to Fawkner to take the Merri Creek trail back home to Coburg. All did not go to plan, first the bike path seems to disappear around Reservoir Station till you pick it up again over the other side in Cheddar Rd,then its a nightmare up around Wood St Settlement Rd area the path just stops and you have to cross busy roads to reach the Ring Road trail. But on reaching the Ring Road trail I was stopped in my tracks by a fence across the trail saying it was closed till mid 2013. Strange that was about 3 months ago it should have been opened now one would think :roll: .But all was not lost because they had a big map up on the fence with a diversion route BUT it showed how to get to Plenty Rd from area you would have already would have come from if you picked it up at Plenty Rd :!: .There is no diversion route if you are heading west to Fawkner :!: my only choice was to head back the same way I come, but my bad luck hadn't run out yet on arrival at home I found I had flat front wheel, a tack was the cause maybe I should just stayed home today :lol:
Paul 1965

by BNA » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm

BNA

Re: Metroplitan Ring Road trail closed

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I went up Merri Ck and down Plenty on March 1st and that section was still closed then, having also been stymied along there on 30th November last year when I previously ventured north.

I'm frankly amazed if it's still closed. :roll:
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby drcolossus1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I've been waiting for it to open again. I usually jump on it just past reservoir and go to Craigieburn and back. Good ride and haven't had any puncture issues.

Anyone know of a website/contact for who is completing the works? Are they actually works on the bike path or due to road works in the area? (I've noticed they close bike paths sometimes so the crews have somewhere to park!)
drcolossus1

Postby Paul 1965 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I did check the VICROADS website and it has info on there about the trail being closed.
Paul 1965

Return to Victoria