Warburton Rail Trail on a cruiser bike?

Warburton Rail Trail on a cruiser bike?

Postby melthekidd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi everyone...

So I feel like a bit of a fraud posting to this forum as i am a total novice. I have been enjoying some very casual riding on mostly flat surfaces lately on my Anaconda Cruiser bike. I also have a mountain bike but I really find my cruiser very comfortable to ride. I'm concerned about inclines but most of what i've read about the Warby trail is that it's very suitable for all levels. I've never ridden it and I just want to know what peoples thoughts are on riding a single gear bike on it. Is it acheivable or will I struggle??...

Thanks!! :D
melthekidd

by BNA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:19 pm

BNA

Re: Warburton Rail Trail on a cruiser bike?

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:19 pm

the only real climb is either side of Mt Evelyn (a gentle couple km's at 2% to 3%), you might find yourself pushing hard into Mt Evelyn heading towards lilydale as that is a bit steeper than heading towards warburton, depends how much you want to work, but yes I do think its achievable

Are you planning to do the full 80km return journey or just a section? I would go with a geared bike if your planning the full 80km but if its just a section then take the cruiser
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
yarravalleyplodder

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

I would happily ride the whole trail on my SS, but it's a nice light road frame. I've done a hilly 190kms on that one. Single speed does not equal slow or hard work automatically, but it does depend on just how heavy and/or sluggish your cruiser is. And how fit and fast you are on it.

Maybe 'suck it and see'..... just try riding to Woori Yallock and back first off, that's only going to be 40kms. Or just ride to the Carriage Cafe in Seville, about 25-30kms return.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby melthekidd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on doing the return trip - but perhaps I should tackle it in sections like you suggest - especially the Mt Evelyn part and see how I go. It's a pretty solid frame - say 12kg.
Then I'll work up to the whole lot.

I'm looking forward to it!
melthekidd

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 pm

If you begin from Wandin North you avoid the main hill. :smile:
clackers

Return to Victoria