Ideas wanted for family cycling weekends in Regional Vic?

Ideas wanted for family cycling weekends in Regional Vic?

Postby GrumpyJohn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Now that our family (wife and billy lid) are semi regular riders we wanting to spend some time and $$$ in some of our wonderful regional country towns. Our idea was to pick a location, book a motel/cabin - nothing too flash, just somewhere to stay the night, drive there on a Friday and spend the weekend exploring the town and environs on the saddle during the days, then kick back for a dinner and wine in the evening. :D

I'd love to hear from any other members who has done this and your suggestions on some locations, particular towns that are bike friendly, a good system of bike paths is desirable but not necessary. Although we've visited many parts of Victoria over the years, we've never had the opportunity to ride around them.

My short list is:

Bendigo, Castlemaine, Maldon
Bright
Echuca
Ballarat
Healesville
Western Districts - Grampians/Halls Gap?

Cheers,
Grumpy john
Returning to the bike after 20 years. Slow and steady... GT Aggressor 1.0
GrumpyJohn

by BNA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm

BNA

Re: Ideas wanted for family cycling weekends in Regional Vic

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm

I would add Beechworth to your list - I spent a very enjoyable 3 days there with wife & little un. Simple cabin in the caravan park by the lake, plenty of fabulous rides through the rail trails & the Blynzz Coffee Roasters and Café makes the best coffee I have had, anywhere, anytime.
find_bruce

Postby GrumpyJohn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:I would add Beechworth to your list - I spent a very enjoyable 3 days there with wife & little un. Simple cabin in the caravan park by the lake, plenty of fabulous rides through the rail trails & the Blynzz Coffee Roasters and Café makes the best coffee I have had, anywhere, anytime.

Brilliant find_bruce. That's exactly what we are looking for! I briefly checked the Beechy website a few months ago and notice they promote themselves as a 'cycling friendly' town. Great to get some feedback from someone who has experienced it. The Lake Sambell Caravan Park? those cabins look just the ticket!

Beechworth on the list!
GrumpyJohn

Postby ausrandoman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:27 pm

The region bounded by Bendigo, St. Arnaud, Ararat and Ballarat has hundreds and hundreds of kilometres of quiet bitumen roads on gentle terrain with nice scenery and well-spaced towns. If you factor in a range of accommodation and places to eat in a town small enough that you can be in the countryside in 10 minutes, Maryborough and Castlemaine are excellent choices, with Castlemaine at the top of my list.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.
ausrandoman

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:I would add Beechworth to your list - I spent a very enjoyable 3 days there with wife & little un. Simple cabin in the caravan park by the lake, plenty of fabulous rides through the rail trails & the Blynzz Coffee Roasters and Café makes the best coffee I have had, anywhere, anytime.

That was going to be my suggestion, that or bright...
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

You are more than welcome to join MBTC for a weekend we will be running on the Cup Day weekend in Novemeber. We are staying at Eureka Holiday Park in Balllarat (camping or cabins) for a weekend of rides from this base-camp, and a night or two eating out in town.

Contact me in a week or two for more information (just in the intial planning at present).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby GrumpyJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:31 pm

il padrone wrote:You are more than welcome to join MBTC for a weekend we will be running on the Cup Day weekend in Novemeber. We are staying at Eureka Holiday Park in Balllarat (camping or cabins) for a weekend of rides from this base-camp, and a night or two eating out in town.

Contact me in a week or two for more information (just in the intial planning at present).

Thanks for the offer. The club certainly interest me. Working odd shifts does hamper a lot of weekend activities for me. I'll PM you in the next fortnight for more info. :D
GrumpyJohn

Return to Victoria