Riding in Cape Otway

Riding in Cape Otway

Postby Bentnose » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:17 pm

The wife is talking about camping at Cape Otway next month. Does anyone know if there is any good riding around there apart from the obvious Great Ocean Road and Forrest ( which I won't be able to get to). Looking at a sattelite map on Strava there seems to be a lot of tracks, whether they are private property or not I don't know.
Bentnose

by BNA » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:19 pm

BNA

Re: Riding in Cape Otway

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Down near the cape itself, around Bimbi Park, many of the tracks are private and closed off, especially from there to the mouth of the Aire River. But there used to be tracks that you could ride from Bimbi Park to the lighthouse and there are good (if sandy) tracks to ride out to the east, to Parker River, Blanket Bay and along the Parker Ridge Track. Otherwise north of the Great Ocean Road there is a network of forest tracks that could be explored. All of these are MTB riding though. If it's a road bike you're taking you're stuck with the Cape Otway Road; the Great Ocean Road; and the loop tour through Lavers Hill, Beech Forest, Skenes Ck, and Apollo Bay - a really great challenge ride of about 130kms. There are also the roads into the Aire River east (part-sealed), and the Johanna Road (Red Johanna Rd - I think Blue Johanna Rd is still gravel).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Re: Riding in Cape Otway

Postby Bentnose » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks il padrone, Iooking at the satellite map I was thinking the east side was the way to go. I'll just take the MTB and explore some of the tracks to the east. Can't do anything too serious as the wife keeps telling me this is meant to be a family holiday :roll:
Bentnose

Return to Victoria