YMT joints. OW!

YMT joints. OW!

Postby MickMelb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:23 pm

At first I thought it was just me being a wimp. But a colleague has complained unprompted (and in too much detail). And then this guy ahead of me today.

Anyone else's behind less than thrilled about the new(ish) joints on the YMT ramps?

Not sure of best way of sorting this out. A Joint complaint to... ?
MickMelb

by BNA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:23 pm

BNA

Re: YMT joints. OW!

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Just bunny hop them or slow down.
Uncle Just

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Speed humps.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 pm

The Main Yarra Trail is like the Citylink for bikes. Now when I see them putting speed humps on Citylink I will agree that these sorts of things might be OK on a major shared path.

Parks Vic trail designers and local council traffic planners have always been bicycle-blind. Been that way for over 30 years.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:55 pm

So long as they're not a pinch flat puncture risk or get slippery when on a corner apex I would not be too concerned.

Just lift the front and back over them and you'll be fine. Better still, bunny hop, learn some skillz.

They look no worse than the tree roots breaking up the hotmix on a few of my local shared paths.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 am

their first attempt - about a year ago - was a steel hump with 45 deg. angles. i first noticed it after i picked myself up off the ground and wondered "what the... was that?!" i know a few other people fell on it as well in the day or two it was left there - so probably heaps more in reality.

when i rang Parks Vic the guy said he had been made aware of it, agreed it was unsuitable and would be replaced, but added that cyclists "go too fast" along there. thanks mate..

those things you've pictured in this thread are pretty benign. as it's a pontoon - expansion joints are necessary and they can't practicably be made perfectly smooth.
jules21

Postby djw47 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 am

Could you not just lift your ass off the saddle for the millisecond it takes to cross the bump? It's not like the bump is inconspicuously coloured!
djw47

Return to Victoria