Yarra Boulevard - tacks - 6.3.14

misterhorsey

Yarra Boulevard - tacks - 6.3.14

Postby misterhorsey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:15 pm

not sure if its been mentioned on this forum yet, but some uncool person has placed tacks on the yarra boulevard from last weekend, so be warned.

went there late morning today, about 7 riders with punctures.

Been covered over here in a little more detail.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... f9c91d827f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coldhands

Re: Yarra Boulevard - tacks - 6.3.14

Postby Coldhands » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 am

I picked up a tack on the 28/2 and just picked up another one this morning, rode past a number of other riders changing flats, the ones I asked all had tacks as well.

I read through the link you posted and it seems VicRoads have been out with the magnet trying to pick them up, so they're either not doing a very good job or whoever is doing it is coming back to throw down some more. Pretty annoying, I think I'll be avoiding the boulevard for a while now though.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 pm

I had a tack 2 weeks ago and was told by another rider that he knew of several that have been the victims of tacks, this has been going on for some time. I won't be going back to the boullie for the forseeable future if this is the case. The stupid thing is that people who hate cyclists being on the road would be doing this, all it means is the riders will ride elsewhere and at locations were they would get "in the motorists way" as they think. I hope the people getting the punctures are throwing the tack long and far away from the road.
No signature

riddy

Postby riddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm

I reported a fault with the Boroondara council. Sounds like it's VicRoads problem. I'd suggest everyone lodge a complaint with VicRoads. Aint nothing going to be done about it unless the proper people know about it.

FROM Boroondara Council

Dear diddy,

Thank you for your email, dated 24 February 2014, regarding the thumb tacks on Yarra Boulevard Kew.

A report, from our Customer Services team, was sent through to us on Thursday 20 February. Based on the information given Council’s Rapid Response team went out immediately to remove the tacks.

It was reported back to me that no tacks could be found.

Another report, from our Customer Service team, was sent through to us on Friday. I followed this up with the previous report & it appears that incorrect information was given in the first instance.

This was referred to VicRoads on Friday & again on Monday as Yarra Boulevard is not a Council maintained road.

The VicRoads reference numbers are 500668573 & 500669834. They can be contacted on 13 11 70.

I also understand that VicRoads were at the site yesterday removing the tacks.

Kind regards,

TJS

Postby TJS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 pm

I'v ridden the Yarra Boulevard a few times this week. Saw a lot of people changing tyres. Noticed my rear was flat a couple of hours after I got home, obviously a slow leak as it wasn't noticeable at the time. No trace of what caused it.

There was a cop parked out there this morning just past the roundabout going north. He was still there later when I rode back so it may be related.

He was also telling passing cyclists to use the right hand cycle land "it's there for you". I just ignored him and kept going as I didn't much see the point of crossing the road to use a lane on the wrong side, only to have to cross back a couple of hundred metres later when the lane ends.

PYLee

Postby PYLee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Had a flat riding up the climb right before the eastern freeway bridge, it was a nail from a tack/pin , thank goodness i brought the gears along.

Thumbs up for some of the cyclist that slowed down and ask if everythings alright :)

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

still on going - picked a 6mm black carpet tack out of mrs antigee's puncture picked up on the Boulevard near junction with Molesworth she'd seen other riders with punctures today

emailed vicroads saying appreciated efforts but still a problem and hoping they were liaising with police still :cry:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Police are still looking...

http://www.theweeklyreviewboroondara.co ... oad-tacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

Myself and four mates rode through Yarra Boulevard on Friday afternoon 21/03/14. None of us got punctures and didn't see anyone doing repairs, not that there were many out.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:59 pm

I'll be riding a few laps tonight, will definitely keep an eye out.

Coldhands

Postby Coldhands » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Looks like the tacks have been back for the last couple of days…

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/176/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did manage to get a ride in on 28/3 which was puncture free but would probably start avoiding it again.

ottadini

Postby ottadini » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Thousands, maybe millions of flat tyres this morning on the Yarra Boulevard. Looks like a fresh bunch were scattered out last night. Seemed to be mostly on the northbound side of the road.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:39 am

Coldhands wrote:Looks like the tacks have been back for the last couple of days…

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/176/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did manage to get a ride in on 28/3 which was puncture free but would probably start avoiding it again.
I like what they said on that bicycle network link; "And keep riding the Boulie: we must never signal that these behaviours can succeed in deterring people from riding."

Swamp the place with bikes, to achieve the exact opposite of what those who spread the tacks are attempting. :twisted:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DerekEnderby

Postby DerekEnderby » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 pm

It is April 13th and I picked up a tack while riding on the Boulevard this afternoon. I noticed a couple people on strava complaining about the same problem. The bad news is the tack looked plastic, the only way I can see it being sorted is to use a street sweeper.

cpical

Postby cpical » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:33 pm

And 2 for me just now.
Turned back.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 pm

I think this should be reported to the local police. According to media reports they are "investigating" so if more reports are made they may get a better idea of the scale of this attack.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm

back earlier in month I used the Vicroads "report a problem" and thanked them for clean up efforts and said as still seemed to be an ongoing issue that they keep the police updated

article in this weeks Kew etc ProgressLeader appeared with the junk mail today
front page and then 2nd page

http://leader.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

is electronic version you don't need to register to read page 2

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Went around the bouly today and saw 3 people changing flats - so i assume the tacks were back out in the last few days.

Sigh.

Mighty_2

Postby Mighty_2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Yep, they're still there. Picked up one in front tyre on Sunday and crashed as I attempted to turn left onto Chandler Highway (tyre pressure down and front wheel washed out). Bruised and paint off but OK. Three mates picked up more on Tuesday. Seriously, whoever knows the person who is doing this needs to give them up before someone is seriously hurt.

rubiksquare

Postby rubiksquare » Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 am

Got a tack in my back wheel last Friday (Anzac day)
Whilst changing my tire a lady rode past and yelled out she also had a flat from a tack.

This was about 5pm in the evening.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 01, 2014 10:05 am

Mighty_2 wrote:Yep, they're still there. Picked up one in front tyre on Sunday and crashed as I attempted to turn left onto Chandler Highway (tyre pressure down and front wheel washed out). Bruised and paint off but OK. Three mates picked up more on Tuesday. Seriously, whoever knows the person who is doing this needs to give them up before someone is seriously hurt.
Have you contacted the investigating police about your crash? If not, please do so as the fact that people have actually been harmed by these tacks makes it more serious than people just picking up tacks in their tyres.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 am

Summernight wrote:
Mighty_2 wrote:Yep, they're still there. Picked up one in front tyre on Sunday and crashed as I attempted to turn left onto Chandler Highway (tyre pressure down and front wheel washed out). Bruised and paint off but OK. Three mates picked up more on Tuesday. Seriously, whoever knows the person who is doing this needs to give them up before someone is seriously hurt.
Have you contacted the investigating police about your crash? If not, please do so as the fact that people have actually been harmed by these tacks makes it more serious than people just picking up tacks in their tyres.
+1
Please report it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:01 am

Hello Victorians...not often I visit here, but noticed this earlier today. As loathe as I am to give this talkback tool more exposure:

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/neil-mitche ... 37iq2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First comment is pure gold.

Jim

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri May 02, 2014 6:55 pm

familyguy wrote:
First comment is pure gold.

Jim
Talkback radio isn't noted as being a friend of the cyclist, Jim.

Still not sure it wasn't the 3AW van doing it, Neil and Derryn throwing them out the back. :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

I suggest riding on the road until the culprit is caught.