Re: Yarra Boulevard - tacks - 6.3.14

Postby human909 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Reposting from what I saw on the BV forums:

Protest ride on Sunday 3rd May:
http://noboullietacks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Has there actually been a documented crash caused by tacks? I've read a lot of hearsay, but not seen a first person account yet?

kb

Postby kb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:38 pm

I'd assume there would have been at least a couple. A quick search shows
viewtopic.php?t=73354#p1119584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 pm

As an observer of this thread and similar ones on other forums, I can't believe this is still going on. The cost to the cycling community in inner tubes and lost time must be incredible.

Has anyone gone around hardware shops to see if anyone is buying tacks in bulk?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 pm

kb wrote:I'd assume there would have been at least a couple. A quick search shows
viewtopic.php?t=73354#p1119584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks KB, missed that :)

What's up with the people organising the protest ride? Are they a little stupid or what? The press release:
This letter was dispatched to The Age, Herald Sun, ABC Melbourne, Premier Daniel Andrews, Local member for Kew Tim Smith, Boroondara Council and Boroondara Police:

Media Release 19-Apr-15

Kew Boulevard Protest Ride – May 3, 2015

In February of 2014, someone started dropping tacks onto the road surface of the Kew Boulevard.

The tacks have one purpose and that is to cause punctures to cyclists who choose to ride along the Boulevard.

Punctures caused by tacks often result in explosive decompression, particular on ‘road’ bicycles that have their tyres routinely inflated to over 100 PSI.

Aside from the inconvenience of having to stop to repair a puncture, such punctures can cause cyclists to crash. Explosive decompression of a tyre, particularly a front tyre, can result in loss of control of the bicycle.

In places, it is not uncommon for cyclists cycling along the Boulevard to be travelling over 50KMH.

[/size]
Explosive decompression of a front tyre of a cyclist travelling at speed can send a cyclist sliding across the road putting both motorist and cyclist at risk.

Moreover, the Boulevard is used by many ‘bunch’ rides. A single cyclist puncturing in a bunch can bring down multiple riders.

But back to the story.

Tacks have continued to be dumped on the Kew Boulevard since February 2014 with the latest “instalment” being last week.

Some cyclists (like myself) now choose to ride on the main road surface instead of the shoulder to avoid the tacks. This not only irritates motorists (who don’t understand why) but further increases the risk of an accident.

Both the Boroondara Council and Boroondara Police have been contacted, repeatedly. They are involved and have been assisting.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of urgency and a lack of co-operation between the relevant authorities:

Inspector Frost told CyclingTips that while cyclists may be frustrated, they need to be aware that this case is just one of many requiring his team’s attention.

“Police have got a number of competing priorities,“ Inspector Frost said. “I’ve had members down there working [at Yarra Boulevard] and trying to … elicit some information about who might be depositing these tacks, when realistically [the officers] might have been deployed in some other area.”

“There are a multitude of other things police could be doing than looking for some fool depositing tacks on the road.”

–Source: http://www.cyclingtips.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. March 26, 2015.

and this..

Responsibility for the management and upkeep of Yarra Boulevard falls with the local roads authority, VicRoads. VicRoads would normally sweep Yarra Boulevard once every three months and inspect the path weekly. But VicRoads’ metro south east regional director, Aidan McGann, told CyclingTips that VicRoads is “currently sweeping three to six times a month” as a result of the Boulie tacks.

These extra visits come at a significant cost. VicRoads’ metro south east clean-up team is based in Dandenong and getting the team out to Kew to use the streetsweeper with its magnetised attachments (to pick up the tacks) costs anywhere between $1,000 and $2,500, depending on the length of road swept.

Yarra Boulevard sits within the City of Boroondara and the organisation’s sustainable transport officer, Chris Hui, told CyclingTips that the local council has been looking into a cost-sharing arrangement with VicRoads to reduce the burden on the roads authority. But reaching an agreement has proven difficult.

“Being quite a new issue and a different issue, nobody’s really been able to break any ground on that,” Hui said. “But that would certainly help … if that could be arranged.”

–Source: http://www.cyclingtips.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. March 26, 2015.

But worst of all, victim blaming:

Guy Underwood, director of the risk management group RISQ which has been collaborating with Cycling Victoria (says) on the issue, it’s all about putting yourself in other people’s shoes.

“Imagine if you were a home-owner and bought a house in what was a really nice, quiet, leafy suburb and every morning at 5.30 a heap of blokes in lycra were chatting about their new SRAM Red or their PB on the weekend,” Underwood, a keen cyclist himself, told CyclingTips.

“We’ve got to accept some responsibility for our actions.

The police have acknowledged that the majority of cyclists (including the early morning groups) are not breaking any laws or behaving inappropriately and the use of terminology like “blokes in lycra” gives some insight into the attitude of some towards the cycling community.

The bottom line is that 14 months has transpired and tacks are still appearing.

Unfortunately there is no data on how many punctures have been caused, how many crashes have occurred, how much damage there has been to bicycles or how many cyclists have been injured.

Fortunately, no one has been killed, yet.

The tacks however remain a threat to the safety of cyclists.

I acknowledge the efforts of the council and the police to date, however, the cyclists I am speaking on behalf of are tired of waiting for the tacks to stop.

We want action before someone is seriously injured or killed.

Minimum specific measures we are seeking are as follows:

Daily sweeping of the Boulevard until the tacks stop and/or the perpetrator is apprehended.
The installation of surveillance cameras with appropriate monitoring and recording capable of identifying persons at night as well as day.

On May 3, 2015, I have organized a protest ride along the Kew Boulevard, commencing at 9:00AM from the Walmer Street end. We will be riding a single lap of the Boulevard.

A Sunday has been chosen to minimize the disruption to motorists.

George Mihailides
Street view of posted speed limit

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-37.788 ... zJkmpA!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sheesh.....talk about shooting yourself in the foot! And if you're going to say "Oh....but I'm talking about the crit's", then make that clear!

But good luck with it. :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Hope Plod have air cover over the place the night before that ride...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:31 pm

The actions of this loony d!ckhead are having some effects, sadly.
Blackburn Cycling Club wrote:UPDATE ON KEW BOULEVARD ITT

The club has decided not to run any ITT's at Yarra Boulevard Kew this year due to the issues with tacks.

Riders safety is paramount & the club felt that it was too dangerous to run ITT's there whilst there are still reports that tacks are still being dropped on Yarra Boulevard.

Blackburn is still looking at running ITT's, but at different venues. Keep an eye out on Blackburn's website for more information.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:54 pm

il padrone wrote:The actions of this loony d!ckhead are having some effects, sadly.
Blackburn Cycling Club wrote:UPDATE ON KEW BOULEVARD ITT

The club has decided not to run any ITT's at Yarra Boulevard Kew this year due to the issues with tacks.

Riders safety is paramount & the club felt that it was too dangerous to run ITT's there whilst there are still reports that tacks are still being dropped on Yarra Boulevard.

Blackburn is still looking at running ITT's, but at different venues. Keep an eye out on Blackburn's website for more information.
Sounds like it's time for a regular Critical Mass ride down the middle of Yarra Boulevard.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:10 pm

there's a protest ride organised for 8.30am, Sunday May 3 - http://noboullietacks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm

jules21 wrote:there's a protest ride organised for 8.30am, Sunday May 3 - http://noboullietacks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petition signed. Would love to ride but still off the bike due to injury.
This is an ongoing crime that needs stopping.
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 pm

You can imagine the carry-on there'd be from police, the ongoing regular patrols, the installation of multiple CCTV monitoring, the rewards for info, if it was a nutter dropping random, regular caltrops on a freeway or main road to cause damage to car tyres :|

Why the fruit-cake has this not been resolved and the nutter put in the cells or a loony-bin ??
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:24 am

il padrone wrote:You can imagine the carry-on there'd be from police, the ongoing regular patrols, the installation of multiple CCTV monitoring, the rewards for info, if it was a nutter dropping random, regular caltrops on a freeway or main road to cause damage to car tyres :|
Or even a park.

It is because this is happening to cyclists that the concern is minimal. No other reason.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

cyclingtips have an article on this Sunday's protest ride.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/04/rider ... s-protest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are the best people :wink:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun May 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Protest ride made the ABC and Fairfax news today. A few people got tacked during the ride. The council did a sweep at 11 pm the night before so the tacks were dumped early this morning.

This would suggest that the best way to catch the perpetrator would be to hold another ride, and have riders camping out over night throughout the route with video cameras waiting for them to show up.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 03, 2015 1:49 pm

__PG__ wrote:Protest ride made the ABC and Fairfax news today. A few people got tacked during the ride. The council did a sweep at 11 pm the night before so the tacks were dumped early this morning.

This would suggest that the best way to catch the perpetrator would be to hold another ride, and have riders camping out over night throughout the route with video cameras waiting for them to show up.
I'm surprised no one thought of overnight surveillance in the first place. Anyway, good to see the protest and media coverage.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Audio report from the ride today.

Petition up for change.
Mandatory helmet law?

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Sun May 03, 2015 7:41 pm

Made the front page of the age as well as the victorian section.

I think that given the circumstances of the cleanup last night and the fresh drop this morning, that this is pumping this nut job up. I just hope that people who worked with this numnut tip the police off. I doubt that anyone official is going to step up and setup cameras to try and catch this person, or setup some other kind of operation to try and identify this person.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Victoria Police is investigating the matter
Spokespeople for Parks Victoria and Boroondara Council said separately that large roads were VicRoads' jurisdiction.

A VicRoads spokesperson was not available for comment
A Parks Victoria manager Philip Ross said it did not manage the Yarra Boulevard

I can see how everyone is coming together eagerly in a co-operative manner to catch this nutter and resolve the problem :roll: :x
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

it's a VicRoads road. full stop. there was a VicRoads spokesman on the telly too.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 03, 2015 9:12 pm

jules21 wrote:it's a VicRoads road. full stop. there was a VicRoads spokesman on the telly too.
Yes, I heard the VicRoads spokesperson too.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Mon May 04, 2015 8:34 am

biker jk wrote: Yes, I heard the VicRoads spokesperson too.

Love it.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 04, 2015 2:40 pm

__PG__ wrote:Protest ride made the ABC and Fairfax news today. A few people got tacked during the ride. The council did a sweep at 11 pm the night before so the tacks were dumped early this morning.

A few people?

I did a pass through from 8.10 till 8.40, and counted 9. You could see one on the overpass over the freeway, from the freeway!

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu May 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Rode a lap today and no tacks but I try to keep outside the white line. A vehicle was idling at the start of the divided path heading north with what seemed to be a tack pickup contraption mounted at the rear. Saw a few other riders mostly riding outside the white line. :wink:

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu May 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Apparently the hoses on the pumps placed by Boroondara Council and Cycles Galleria have been cut. :(
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

zill

Postby zill » Fri May 08, 2015 12:10 am

nezumi wrote:Apparently the hoses on the pumps placed by Boroondara Council and Cycles Galleria have been cut. :(
These people are pretty vicious. This is organised crime I think.