How many times can u ride Beach road?

Machoman121

How many times can u ride Beach road?

Postby Machoman121 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:23 pm

We're very lucky to have Beach road - coming from Mordialloc - on the left u have the beautiful port philip bay waters and the right u have inspiring million dollar houses. And most of the way it's a double lane so there's enough space for u cyclist. I've ridden it like close to 10 times now but marvel at how much much faster everyone else is when they only look like they are cruising.

Just how often do u ride beach road? Do u get fed-up after awhile or does Beach Road's value lasts a long long time.

Calvin27

Re: How many times can u ride Beach road?

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 pm

The trick to getting a good ride is timing of the lights. I've seen lots of grumpy roadies who are obviously out to PR their segments and outright catch a red light. Some of them run it, others just get grumpy. I like to say hi to them when this happens and I pull up to the lights.

The other thing is to draft the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of everyone. I don't care if it's a 70 year old grandpa or a 3 year old on their trike. You get behind and suck as much aero as you can. Also, never coast along. The rear hub sound gives away your position. The longer they don't know you're there the better. Look for the moment and then accelerate away! 8)
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:09 am

why are you riding? if it's just for the pleasure of cruising around, Beach Rd is fun every now and then. it's flat and the views are good.

if you're training, Beach Rd holds limited value - unless you're trying to hold onto the North Rd or Hell Ride. you can still push yourself, but it's important to seek out some resistance (hills).

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 pm

A lot. If I get sick of it I head the other way to Mt Eliza and find some hills, weekends go further away. Weekend mornings can get stupid sometimes, a lot of different abilities out there. Midweek I still see NRS guys regularly so it can't be too bad and the surface is great compared to other roads around.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Beach Road covers a beautiful part of the city but imho it's incredibly boring for cycling, there's no hills and it's not remotely challenging (unless you like going fast on the flat). I've ridden it twice, and have no great desire to ride it again when there are so many awesome hills out to the east of Melbourne.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I roll Beach Rd - one or another iteration of the NRR when i can hang on - a couple of mornings a week. It can be as hard or easy as you want and most times you will find wind to battle into if you want some resistance teaining.

However, West Gippsland has some fine bike riding roads and is the preferred option...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Although Beach road is pretty much flat but once u get up to speed it can be a hard ride - there are girl riders i can't even draft for long and get dropped after awhile.....Yes - i do need more hill training - my regular rider said i sink quickly on hills.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:05 am

I dunno but I find holding a wheel at 45km/h challenging enough. macca33 has summed it up perfectly, its what you put into it that counts.

diventare

Postby diventare » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:13 am

I've been riding it every Saturday morning for over three years now. Still not sick of it.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks guys - good to hear there's great value in Beach Road - I'm very grateful for having Beach Road - not only is the scenery incredible and world class - it's probably one of the safest roads to ride in Victoria. Due to the sheer numbers of riders every driver is fully aware that there are cyclists on the road. I see drivers tentatively edging onto the junctions watching out for cyclist - occasionally i'll wave or nod an appreciation and they'll acknowledge back. When i ride on Beach Road i know i'll be coming home safe. Wish i can say that of our other routes.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Machoman121 wrote:there are girl riders i can't even draft for long and get dropped after awhile.....
Female riders are terrible for me. I get minimal draft from them, but when they are behind me I'm pretty sure they can't even feel a breeze. Ive learned to go for the big bulky dudes for drafting, females are too small.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

Calvin27 wrote:
Machoman121 wrote:there are girl riders i can't even draft for long and get dropped after awhile.....
Female riders are terrible for me. I get minimal draft from them, but when they are behind me I'm pretty sure they can't even feel a breeze. Ive learned to go for the big bulky dudes for drafting, females are too small.
Ah, so you're that parasite, Calvin! :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:55 am

Calvin27 wrote:
you're not getting close enough Calvin. put your front wheel right up against their rear (read that however you like). don't be put off if they get annoyed - it's just part of the sport..

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 am

jules21 wrote: you're not getting close enough Calvin. put your front wheel right up against their rear (read that however you like). don't be put off if they get annoyed - it's just part of the sport..
Calvin is going to end up on a register courtesy of that advice, Jules! :-D

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I've ride Beach Rd. 1-3 times per week for the past 5 years and find that it feels different almost every day... I know every bump, subsidence and pothole between Elwood and Frankston but it's the weather/environment and the other riders which always make it enjoyable for me!

Some days I enjoy a solo ride taking in the view of a sunrise or storm coming over the bay, another day I'll be smashing myself doing solo efforts or a fast bunch ride and others still I enjoy cruising and chatting away to a friend or even random rider who is pacing at about the same speed as me.

Riding is what you make it and there are plenty of people out there who take it too seriously. As long as you're out there for the right reasons and with the right attitude, I reckon you can ride the same patch of road every day of your life and still enjoy yourself!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

+1 Cerb!