Route Advice: Melbourne to Beechworth

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 am

Looking to ride to Beechworth from Melbourne, has anyone done it? Any advice on routes?

clackers

Re: Route Advice: Melbourne to Beechworth

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

Why not ride to Yea, then eventually up the King Valley to the Murray-Mountains Rail Trail?

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 am

That's the main route I was considering, what's the ride to Yea like? Fairly busy road, or a bit quiet?

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 am

It's how many Melbourners like me drive to Lake Eildon. It's a very pretty route, up and down. Either you're up to riding on main roads or you're not - where else have you ridden?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 am

Lilydale>Warburton>WoodsPoint>Jamieson>Mansfield>Whitfield>Beechworth.

Planning some of this for Nov/Dec sometime. I've done most of it, in reverse, light touring.

....or (slightly easier!) - ...Warby>Marysville>Alexandra>Mansfield >...

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

^^ This is a great ride.

A much more challenging route, with the climb of the Reefton Spur, followed by the Woods Point Rd along the crest of the divide, then also the Jamieson Rd with the climb of Frenchmans Gap. Allow 5-6 days to get to Beechworth on this route, and plan to carry a fair bit of food supplies with you.

The other easier way to do it would be to take the train to Tallarook, then ride the new Great Victorian Rail-trail* to Yea and Mansfield, then the Tolmie Rd through to Whitfield and the King Valley - about 4 days ride to Beechworth.

* This rail-trail is generally good but has a few slow sections with some problems with water ruts.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 am

I was planning on a more direct route (300-320km) and knocking it off in 12-14 hours... Not sure if that's too ambitious. Road bike with a backpack at most, have friends in Beechworth and a lift home. It's a one day window of opportunity, so if it's not possible I'll can it and maybe plan something more substantial for summer, incorporating some climbing/fire trails.

I had a second look, and the more direct route is north parallel to the Hume, going through Seymour rather than Yea. Then following the Hume to the Wang before turning to Beechworth. By the looks of it, the section from Seymour to Glenrowan is the rail trail?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:23 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:I was planning on a more direct route (300-320km) and knocking it off in 12-14 hours...
:shock:

You ride Audax ??

This one might be a help:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Getting into Audax.

Might just stick with the road bike, I'm not willing to shave my head for the extra aero ;)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:55 pm

I've done a major part of it both ways on several tours using the rail trail to /from Beechy then the Whitfield road and up the climb overlooking the King valley to Mansfield. We followed the highway which now has the alternative rail trail to Alexandra and down the Maroondah hwy over the Black Spur to Lilydale. Have done as I wrote these parts in reverse quite a few times.
For you if you left early enough this is the way I'd go but you might need lights and be extra careful through the Black Spur. However I haven't ridden the BS since 97 and many cyclists now avoid it because there is no shoulder, bad sight lines and it can carry heavy traffic including many boy racers scraping the pegs. So avoid weekends if attempting this way. Otherwise you could go up the back way through Hurstbridge Kinglake, Flowerdale to Yea. Then onto the highway but choose your times. The narrow road section approaching Bonnie Doon needs care too and the road into Mansfield if not riding the trail. The road from Mansfield to Whitfield is a delight but there is a longish climb to Tolmie.

If you're very fit it's doable but riding the rougher unmade trails will slow you somewhat if using lighter narrower tyres. Keep an eye on the weather and wind too.

Good luck.

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks Uncle Just, I rode the climb from Mansfield to Whitfield and into Tolmie a few months ago, was a great climb, but would definitely be a challenge on tired legs.

Looking like my window of opportunity has closed, so I think I'll do some planning and have a good crack at it. Sounds like there's definitely some sections of road not worth riding, which would make for a longer route and a big day in the saddle.