Hurstbridgish and surrounds

misterhorsey

Hurstbridgish and surrounds

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi there

I'm thinking of taking a group of cyclists for a gentle-ish ride around the Hurstbridge area, designing the ride around the less experienced riders in the group (less happy around traffic, not super climbers).

I've only been up once and loved the Cottles bridge - Strathewen rd, but it doesn't go on for long enough!

Hurstbridge to Kinglake is out, as I'm not sure that there's the appetite for a climb, but I've google mapped the following itinerary and wondering if any locals to the area had any feedback?

https://goo.gl/maps/ZsxB7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The route is meant to double back into Hurstbridge to catch the train back into town but google maps wouldn't let me.

Please feel free to share any strava routes as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/comments/suggestions.

Cheers

Misterhorsey

__PG__

Re: Hurstbridgish and surrounds

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 pm

That's my 'home ground'. So many options. The extension of Bannons Lane North to the Hurstbridge - Arthurs Creek road is lovely (as is the section from Nutfield to Hurstbridge).

The roads that link Hurstbridge to Panton Hill are lovely short climbs (Cherry Tree Rd, Gosfield Rd and Church Rd).

Look for Clintons Rd which links Smiths Gully to Christmas Hills. Alma Rd and Dawson Rd (liking the C728 to the C726 Eltham Rd) are also nice but they have very steep sections in parts.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks _PG_

I might add a few of your suggestions to my route.

Last sunday we rode around ballarat prior to watching the Nationals. It was beautiful. Quiet roads, sleepy farmland. Hoping to revisit some of that vibe but without having to drive so far.

EDIT: Tho contemplating V-lining it out to ballarat to repeat the experience. Really great riding out there.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Ok alrighty, here's an amended version. Nice round 50km ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/wfdN4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I basically got rid of broad gully road and black gully road as they struck me as a bit more suburban/bush, and replaced them with a little climb from hurstbridge to Panton hill and back. Thus also avoiding heidleberg-st andrew's rd.

The priority here is to ride on quieter roads with light traffic, so please feel free to give me your 2 cents worth!

edit: slight mistake in map

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Beautiful riding up there.

Arthur's Creek Road had great views, and relatively lightly trafficed, but was rather straight with a 100kmh speed limit which was slightly unnerving for inexperienced riders, but the rest was splendid.

We caught an 8.18 train, got there at 9, had a coffee, riding from 10am until a 2pm train. Beautiful day of riding.

Here's a turn by turn for printing out and sticking out on the top tube if anyone's interested. I'll do one omitting Arthur's Creek Rd if there is interest.

Hurstbridge Ride
0km - Hurstbridge Station
(Straight) - .4km - Heidelberg-Kinglake Rd
(Right) - 1.1km – Cherry Tree Rd
(Left) - 5.1km - Church Rd
(Left) - 8.km - Heidelberg-Kinglake Rd
(Right) - 8.3km – Cottles Bridge Rd
(U-turn) - 20.5km- Cottles Bridge Rd
(Right) – 28.6km – Greens Rd
(Right) – 29.8km – Arthurs Creek Rd
(U-turn) – 36.1km – Arthurs Creed Rd
(Right) – 38.9km – Cemetry Rd