Great Dividing Trail...

VeloGiro

Great Dividing Trail...

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Has anyone any experience of the Great Dividing Trail? Looks like a ripper! A bunch of folks from work are planning a spring ride....could be this. :D

http://www.goldfieldstrack.com.au/

il padrone

Re: Great Dividing Trail...

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Yes. Done that, though it has been a few years since I last rode it. Great single-track and remote-feeling bush tracks. But not really touring bike riding. Take a MTB and you'll feel a lot more comfortable and confident. Do not ride it with panniers - it will be to your cost and embarrassment.

A very good way to do it is to ride it in segments, carrying minimum gear in handlebar bag and seatpack or saddlebag, and stay in accommodation in towns en-route eg. Ballarat to Daylesford (accom. in caravan park cabins or Boomerang Holiday Ranch), Daylesford to Castlemaine (caravan park cabins), then Castlemaine to Bendigo. The section around Daylesford past The Blowhole to Hepburn Springs is signed 'no bikes' - very simple to avoid this, riding down the main road and join the track at Golden Spring.

The section from Daylesford to O'Briens Crossing is a good deal more extreme, but a lot of fun, especially Byer's Backtrack at Blackwood. From O'Brien's Crossing to Bacchus Marsh the track passes through the Lerderderg Gorge and is definitely walking track - no bikes. Rock-hopping, river fording, narrow ledges, and steps.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Espresso_

Great Dividing Trail...

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 pm

il padrone wrote:Yes. Done that, though it has been a few years since I last rode it. Great single-track and remote-feeling bush tracks. But not really touring bike riding. Take a MTB and you'll feel a lot more comfortable and confident. Do not ride it with panniers - it will be to your cost and embarrassment.

Yeah I agree 100% - this is firmly XC mountain bike country, at least on the Daylesford to Castlemaine stretch which is the only section I've ridden.

Good ride though - some good flowing single track and nice scenery. I found it a little tougher than I expected, but mountain biking is not my forte.

E

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Typical trail conditions. Even tighter through the trees in some sections (around Creswick, Mt Franklin area, the Poverty Gully water-race near Castlemaine)

Mandatory helmet law?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 am

VeloGiro wrote:Has anyone any experience of the Great Dividing Trail? Looks like a ripper! A bunch of folks from work are planning a spring ride....could be this. :D

http://www.goldfieldstrack.com.au/

I bought the maps in preparation and was planning to ride this before I rode the Mawson trail... Didn't get out there before heading to SA unfortunately, so am planning on bikepacking it this Spring too; riding Ballarat to Bendigo.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:06 pm

il padrone wrote:Yes. Done that, though it has been a few years since I last rode it. Great single-track and remote-feeling bush tracks. But not really touring bike riding. Take a MTB and you'll feel a lot more comfortable and confident. Do not ride it with panniers - it will be to your cost and embarrassment.

A very good way to do it is to ride it in segments, carrying minimum gear in handlebar bag and seatpack or saddlebag, and stay in accommodation in towns en-route eg. Ballarat to Daylesford (accom. in caravan park cabins or Boomerang Holiday Ranch), Daylesford to Castlemaine (caravan park cabins), then Castlemaine to Bendigo. The section around Daylesford past The Blowhole to Hepburn Springs is signed 'no bikes' - very simple to avoid this, riding down the main road and join the track at Golden Spring.

The section from Daylesford to O'Briens Crossing is a good deal more extreme, but a lot of fun, especially Byer's Backtrack at Blackwood. From O'Brien's Crossing to Bacchus Marsh the track passes through the Lerderderg Gorge and is definitely walking track - no bikes. Rock-hopping, river fording, narrow ledges, and steps.

Thanks so much IP - I reckon there may have been 6 - 8 people cursing me if we actually perused this route! Glad i asked...even glader you responded!!

We are still keen to do a ride from Vline to Vline station in and around the goldfields - any other suggested trails or routes?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:59 pm

We did this over Easter (4 days) Goulburn Valley and the Strathbogies - http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/1001654 ... gies-tour/

This is a route that we rode around the goldfields one Easter, which took off on a few back-track routes. Mostly sealed backroads though - http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3167329 ... -explorer/ .

This is a great Grampians tour - http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2792012 ... ria-range/ (but it will be rough over the Victoria Range).
Mandatory helmet law?