Anyone not riding lately due to the cold?

DavidS

Re: Anyone not riding lately due to the cold?

Postby DavidS » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:41 am

Hmm, rode in this morning with the sleeveless vest but I think it is time to crack out the full jacket now, just for the really cold days though. I am feeling the cold a bit as I've just returned from a holiday in the USA, where it is summer!

Still, it isn't too cold, the wind is freezing but I'm sure the Canberra folk wouldn't find it too cold here, their minimums of late have been truly cold, would have to think about long pants in that climate.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Went out on the road bike for a short one from Mentone to Frankston return Sunday morning. It was so so still and not to cold and rode like a bullet till i hit Frankston, then the strong wind blew in over the bay and had to fight a head wind and its chill all way home. Have to say one thing i hate is a heavy head wind but it is bearable if the chill isn't so dam icy that it cuts through (THREE ) layers of cloths. I have noticed even ducking down the street to the shops on the MTB or Hybrid it just cuts right through you. I'm pretty hard as I'm up at 4.30 am 7 mornings a week with part time work and attend a gym most days and train as a boxer but must say this season has been a hard one.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes. Really finding it hard the last few weeks in Melbourne. Rain + Wind + no sun, resulting in chill factor < 5 degrees, grey and miserable.
Its just not fun.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Yep been a colder winter this year. Normally doesn't bother me, you just rug up and ride for the conditions, in fact I like the elemental side to riding in harsher, colder conditions. Racing/training in winter is what I remember and know from my formative years. So I'll fit guards, wear a rain jacket, waterproof gloves and booties if pissing down, but this year I'm struggling a little. Not much riding as I've aggravated an old injury. :(

Hendo55

Postby Hendo55 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Still riding at least 5 days per week even on a few days (AT) -3.6 5:30 in the morning. Just need to wear the correct gear and plenty of layers. Other thing is to watch for black ice seen a bit so far this year.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:02 pm

It was below 10c in Brisbane this morning but I still braved it
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:05 pm

I can't stand it anymore!!

"Machoman" complaining about the cold? I've let it go for weeks, but this thread just stays here, so....

Come on.......... :lol: :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

[emoji38]
I might have to change my username to Wimphog.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:38 am

This winter has been killing me. I'm 20kg down from last year, much lower BF%, and I'm cold all of the time. So very, very cold. Still riding most of the time, but I have to admit to having some days when I've just rugged up to stupid degree and done the public transport or walking thing. When I've gone to other campuses, I've tended to catch public transport because I just can't easily carry enough stuff to change into at my destination. My normal office has lots and lots of beanies, scarves, gloves etc.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 am

At least where I live, this winter has been the coldest for over a decade. We have never had so many frosts and days where it struggles to get above single digits. It started early and was severe from the get go. The really weird thing is that we are getting early signs of spring too. I'm hoping that means it will start to warm up. Unfortunately there have been reports of magpie hatchlings, so that is about to start again soon.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm

I got wacked by a magpie just last week. I do an indoor ride Tuesdays, 1-2 hours Thursday or Friday and a long ride Sunday, prefer winter because I don't have to bother with sunscreen. Went out for 75 minutes in the rain on Thursday, with just a gillie, short thermal base layer, jersey, arm and knee warmers, I was fine, front torso was still dry, feet were wet but that doesn't bother me, years of MTB riding in winter has made my feet immune to the cold. I've worn a long sleeve thermal base layer top twice this year (overheated once) and jacket once. An extended wet ride may make me bring out a coat, very rare. A lot of the time you just need to go faster so you can get hotter. I generally avoid MTB'ing on very wet trails because of bike and trail damage
No signature

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm

I should point out mudguards are an essential part of riding in the rain, I bought some last year when I found myself in a position to commute to work for the first time, it keeps you dry and saves wear on the bike. When I hit May this year I took the knobs of the CX bike and put the guards and slicks on. From now on I think I'll go knobs on the CX for daylight savings and mudguards and lights on all other times.
No signature

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:21 pm

bigfriendlyvegan, I know where you are coming from. I must have dropped around 20Kg and I am feeling the cold a lot more. Add to that the fact I was in the other hemisphere until a couple of weeks ago and it sure feels cold to me. I am so used to not feeling the cold I am not rugging up much but I am starting to change a bit with this weather and less insulation.

Not stopping me riding though.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)