Tacks in the Dandenongs

User avatar
marty_one
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby marty_one » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 am

Not sure if many people have seen this, but Feralsun - Tacks on Mountain Highway some F%$#(AT)%$R has been hard at work in the dandenongs like on the boulie.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6219
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:36 am

Perhaps Duncan Gay was holidaying there driving his truck.

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Tackers are needy attention seekers so don't even talk about it - issue gets too much publicity as it is.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

User avatar
m@
Posts: 5019
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia
Contact:

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby m@ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:03 pm

I dunno - extended periods of ignoring the Boulie tacker(s) early on didn't exactly work miracles... I think the best solution is to catch them and issue a public flogging in the town square (metaphorical, naturally). Unfortunately the authorities haven't shown a whole lot of commitment to making that a reality, so publicity is probably the only way to put some pressure on them.

Otherwise the mentally unwell subject has shown remarkable persistence, and others with an axe to grind could start to think they can get away with it too... wouldn't be a far stretch to imagine this might be a copycat attack from Dandenong locals annoyed about the recent road closures.
ALL THE ABOVEIS TRUE

User avatar
marty_one
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby marty_one » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:58 am

What scares the crap out of me, is that you can come down quiet quickly without pedalling to hard. Should you cop one of these tacks you could easily get badly hurt.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby danny the boy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 pm

2 Sundays in a row, shortly after the The Ascent road closures are announced and this is one of the roads to close a month from now, and you guessed it, on a Sunday. You dont have to be a genius to work out the motivation here.... Its like the Shane Warne/Beach Rd twitter rant fiasco all over again, time to ride somewhere else for a couple of months. Thanks BV, a one off event has now jeopardised the safety of regular users. The first reports of the tacks was at the bus stop corner for those still game to try their luck.

BenGr
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby BenGr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 pm

danny the boy wrote:2 Sundays in a row, shortly after the The Ascent road closures are announced and this is one of the roads to close a month from now, and you guessed it, on a Sunday. You dont have to be a genius to work out the motivation here.... Its like the Shane Warne/Beach Rd twitter rant fiasco all over again, time to ride somewhere else for a couple of months. Thanks BV, a one off event has now jeopardised the safety of regular users. The first reports of the tacks was at the bus stop corner for those still game to try their luck.

Morons have jeopardised peoples safety, not an event organiser. You make it sound like they're justified.

djw47
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:14 pm

F*ck em. Keep on riding up and down there. They'll soon realise it's fruitless to get up early in the morning just to be an anti-social pain in the arse to others, particularly when winter comes. I went down there today and the road was fine, if they're just going to do it one day a week, then keep on riding but exercise caution on that day.

The BN(V) have a lot to answer for if this is happening as a result of their ill-conceived Ascent ride. "Let's encourage cycling by inconveniencing the members of the public who probably see more cyclists on their roads than any other part of Melbourne." Not an excuse for the actions of the idiot(s) doing this, but closing the road is overkill and has resulted in far more negativity towards cyclists in the Nongs than any benefits that the event was intending to bring.
Image

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby danny the boy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:21 pm

BenGr wrote:
danny the boy wrote:2 Sundays in a row, shortly after the The Ascent road closures are announced and this is one of the roads to close a month from now, and you guessed it, on a Sunday. You dont have to be a genius to work out the motivation here.... Its like the Shane Warne/Beach Rd twitter rant fiasco all over again, time to ride somewhere else for a couple of months. Thanks BV, a one off event has now jeopardised the safety of regular users. The first reports of the tacks was at the bus stop corner for those still game to try their luck.

Morons have jeopardised peoples safety, not an event organiser. You make it sound like they're justified.


The whole purpose of the ride was to get more people on bikes, instead they have created a war, its insane. As a cyclist Im happy to accept I am part of a minority, when I ride I mind my own business and aim to make it home safely. Now I have a target on my back due to somebody elses lack of common sense.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6219
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:35 pm

BenGr wrote:
danny the boy wrote:2 Sundays in a row, shortly after the The Ascent road closures are announced and this is one of the roads to close a month from now, and you guessed it, on a Sunday. You dont have to be a genius to work out the motivation here.... Its like the Shane Warne/Beach Rd twitter rant fiasco all over again, time to ride somewhere else for a couple of months. Thanks BV, a one off event has now jeopardised the safety of regular users. The first reports of the tacks was at the bus stop corner for those still game to try their luck.

Morons have jeopardised peoples safety, not an event organiser. You make it sound like they're justified.


Well said. Bogans behaving badly, who would have thought? And it's someone's else fault! You don't see cyclists slashing car tyres when they don't get their way.

BJL
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby BJL » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:46 pm

BenGr wrote:
danny the boy wrote:2 Sundays in a row, shortly after the The Ascent road closures are announced and this is one of the roads to close a month from now, and you guessed it, on a Sunday. You dont have to be a genius to work out the motivation here.... Its like the Shane Warne/Beach Rd twitter rant fiasco all over again, time to ride somewhere else for a couple of months. Thanks BV, a one off event has now jeopardised the safety of regular users. The first reports of the tacks was at the bus stop corner for those still game to try their luck.

Morons have jeopardised peoples safety, not an event organiser. You make it sound like they're justified.


Exactly. The idiot(s) dropping the tacks are the only one(s) to blame here.

By your logic Danny, we all may as well give up cycling altogether lest we upset the poor downtrodden bogan motorists out there.
As for road closures, the tacker may end up with even more of them if we start to hold protest rides through The Dandenongs. And that would only be the beginning. If the tacker(s) think we have no course of action, they're very much mistaken.

I for one will not be bullied off the roads.

chill
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby chill » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:55 pm

How do most people get out to the Dandenongs if you're a bit further out? I'm trying to figure out a way there to do more hills - travelling from close to Hawthorn.

dalai47
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby dalai47 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:47 pm

chill wrote:How do most people get out to the Dandenongs if you're a bit further out? I'm trying to figure out a way there to do more hills - travelling from close to Hawthorn.


Canterbury rd.

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby rodneycc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Or the scenic route, try Gardiners Creek path all the way through to Highbury rd or Burwood hwy, then down Burwood hwy to the East link/Dandy creek path to Colchester Rd continuing to Mountain Hwy to The Basin and then up the 1in20 to Sassafras to Mt Dandy tourist Rd and then take your pick from there.

Or you can just drive the car to The Basin or Montrose (or Upper Ftg) :-)

Edit: But maybe not this Saturday (23rd) they have some event on and Mountain Hwy is closed.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

djw47
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 pm

rodneycc wrote:Edit: But maybe not this Saturday (23rd) they have some event on and Mountain Hwy is closed.


That was last weekend (17/4). I think if they close the road for a second weekend there'd be some locals who'd self-combust.
Image

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

djw47 wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Edit: But maybe not this Saturday (23rd) they have some event on and Mountain Hwy is closed.


That was last weekend (17/4). I think if they close the road for a second weekend there'd be some locals who'd self-combust.


Yeah I must of got the weeks mucked up. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, see this article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/oute ... 387281b0b8
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

chill
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby chill » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 pm

rodneycc wrote:Or the scenic route, try Gardiners Creek path all the way through to Highbury rd or Burwood hwy, then down Burwood hwy to the East link/Dandy creek path to Colchester Rd continuing to Mountain Hwy to The Basin and then up the 1in20 to Sassafras to Mt Dandy tourist Rd and then take your pick from there.

Or you can just drive the car to The Basin or Montrose (or Upper Ftg) :-)

Edit: But maybe not this Saturday (23rd) they have some event on and Mountain Hwy is closed.


Thanks for that mate. I prefer this as it'll be weekdays and I can't be bothered dealing with traffic all the way.

User avatar
marty_one
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby marty_one » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:35 am

rodneycc wrote: Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, see this article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/oute ... 387281b0b8


Reading that article just made me sad that women just can't get out on a bike for a ride without being abused and pretty much told that they have no place doing things like this. I would of loved to have headed up to the 1in20 just to see them all go by (im kinda local to the area). This behavior just ruins it for everyone, not just the event. I do like going up into the dandenongs for a ride. Most of my experiences have actually been pretty good and the car drivers fairly patient (even on the quieter roads).

The best cycling event that I have done in terms of people accepting event in their area is the Cadel Evans Peoples Momentum ride. The number of residents that came out to watch 3500 people ride through was amazing. What was even better is that some of the children/teenagers were shouting encouragement to everyone riding by on the inclines/hills.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).

djw47
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:40 pm

marty_one wrote:
rodneycc wrote: Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, see this article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/oute ... 387281b0b8


Reading that article just made me sad that women just can't get out on a bike for a ride without being abused and pretty much told that they have no place doing things like this. I would of loved to have headed up to the 1in20 just to see them all go by (im kinda local to the area). This behavior just ruins it for everyone, not just the event. I do like going up into the dandenongs for a ride. Most of my experiences have actually been pretty good and the car drivers fairly patient (even on the quieter roads).

The best cycling event that I have done in terms of people accepting event in their area is the Cadel Evans Peoples Momentum ride. The number of residents that came out to watch 3500 people ride through was amazing. What was even better is that some of the children/teenagers were shouting encouragement to everyone riding by on the inclines/hills.


Ignore them, they're a tiny, selfish minority who will always find something to hate. You ban cyclists, they'd want tourists banned next, then something else, then something else.
Image

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6219
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby biker jk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:48 pm

djw47 wrote:
marty_one wrote:
rodneycc wrote: Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, see this article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/oute ... 387281b0b8


Reading that article just made me sad that women just can't get out on a bike for a ride without being abused and pretty much told that they have no place doing things like this. I would of loved to have headed up to the 1in20 just to see them all go by (im kinda local to the area). This behavior just ruins it for everyone, not just the event. I do like going up into the dandenongs for a ride. Most of my experiences have actually been pretty good and the car drivers fairly patient (even on the quieter roads).

The best cycling event that I have done in terms of people accepting event in their area is the Cadel Evans Peoples Momentum ride. The number of residents that came out to watch 3500 people ride through was amazing. What was even better is that some of the children/teenagers were shouting encouragement to everyone riding by on the inclines/hills.


Ignore them, they're a tiny, selfish minority who will always find something to hate. You ban cyclists, they'd want tourists banned next, then something else, then something else.


Yes, just like anywhere else, there is scum living in the Dandenongs. Strange comments from the police in that article.

dej
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby dej » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Lots of folks fixing flats on the 1/20 this morning, more than i'd seen in a single ride in the past from memory
Hopefully it's not a result of tacks

BJL
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby BJL » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:32 pm

The 'Stop the Tacks' Facebook page reports small black tacks were on the 1 in 20 today. Might be time to organize a very slow ride in The Dandenongs on a weekend around midday in the near future. :evil:

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 13219
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah I must of got the weeks mucked up. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, see this article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/oute ... 387281b0b8

The bigotry evident in that officer's comments is quite disturbing. :|

lone rider
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby lone rider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm


djw47
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Tacks in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm



I've cycled up there a couple of times this week and I saw no sign of any tacks, I made a point of looking as I rode up the Crescent yesterday and couldn't see anything untoward. It could be related to the hard rubbish collection that has been going on in the area over recent weeks rather than anything malicious - there has been all sorts of crap lying about at the roadsides all over the Dandenongs.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users