Rosebud to Sorrento. How painful?

kimmie

Rosebud to Sorrento. How painful?

Postby kimmie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello all. I will have an overnight meeting in Rosebud this weekend and will have two hours down time on Saturday morning (5.00am to 7.00am). Thinking to bring my road bike and ride along Nepean Highway to Sorrento.

1. How safe is to ride on the road at those hours on Saturday morning? Car/traffic wise.
2. Is there any hideous climb between Rosebud to Sorrento? :-)
3. If riding on Nepean Highway is not recommended, I understand there is a Bay Trail that goes from Rosebud to Sorrento. For that section, is the trail mainly sealed or there will be some gravel areas?

Thanking you in anticipation of your replies.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

BenGr

Re: Rosebud to Sorrento. How painful?

Postby BenGr » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

The road's dead flat on that side, and boring. Have a go at Arthurs Seat instead.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:24 pm

1. Very safe
2. No.
3. By Nepean hwy you mean Pt Nepean Rd I assume. Use that, bay trail is unsealed and for walkers/family groups.

5. 2 hrs is plenty of time to get there, back and back to Sorrento. Keep going at Sorrento to Pt Nepean (follow the signs.) 1 hill at Portsea that is sorta hilly. At least theres some change of grade sorta.

6. As BenGr suggests, go from Rosebud to Arthurs, then around the back to Sorrento, then back to Rosebud along Pt Nepean Rd. Or go up the back of Arthurs from Boneo Rd via Browns Rd and Purves Rd, then down thru Dromana, back on to Pt Nepean Rd and home to Rosebud.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Rosebud to Sorrento is about 16km each way. Rosebud to Rye is dead flat, from Rye onwards it begins to undulate slightly, but the elevation gain on each rise (they're not big enough to call "hills") is single-figure metres, and not steep. From memory there's a bike lane all the way; if not then a very large proportion of it. Mornings are pretty good, it's later in the day that it can get a little nuts, but we're past the most nuts season now.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks all!!!! All are very good advise and are mega useful... thank you!!!

Re: Climb to Arthur's Seat... LOL... I drove there once with my family on our small Hyundai... it even had difficilties climbing up the hills on the way to Arthur's Seat... so I don't think I will even make it to its feet... will stick to Sorrento... :-)

Thanks guys... owe you all one.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:15 am

It is a tough climb, but very satisfying!