LBS to replace Powertap bearings?

suahoi

LBS to replace Powertap bearings?

Postby suahoi » Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Has anyone had the bearings for a Powertap wheel successfully replaced by their bike shop, rather than going the $300+ route through Monza Imports? I've read on various other forums that it is pretty straightforward, and won't actually affect the calibration like Saris warns.. I just need to find a shop willing to do it, and one that has done a few before would be ideal.

Basically anywhere around Melbourne, as I'm more than happy to drive a little ways to save a couple hundred bucks!

Cul

Re: LBS to replace Powertap bearings?

Postby Cul » Wed May 18, 2016 2:46 pm

How old is the Hub?... If it is still within warranty period I would be inclined to send it to Monza and tell them to do it for nothing... My New Powertap went through 3 sets of new bearings in 8 months, on the final occurrence it died shortly after arriving back from the shop and had to be sent back to Monza for replacement (who replaced the whole hub).

Short answer is yes bearings can be changed by anyone whiling, however there is a risk of damaging the internals if they are pressed too far. You could try Marshall Cycles in North Geelong, Simon is fairly handy with a wrench (and a BMX).
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance