Best road to take out to Dandenongs

possum-magic

Best road to take out to Dandenongs

Postby possum-magic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:48 am

I'm an out-of-towner who will be in Melbourne over the weekend with the steed (partner is doing Tough Mudder so I get to go riding!). Staying with friends in Malvern, and looking to head out to the Dandenongs on Saturday to rack up a few kms (150 - 180km is about how much time I've got available).

What's the best route to take to get out to the base of the Dandenongs? I'm not that familiar with Melbourne and don't want to end up on roads where I'm not "welcome" if you get my drift. i.e. what is/are the more popular cycling roads to take so I can avoid incurring the wrath of the bike-haters.

Also, anyone got any good recommendations for loops in/around the Dandenongs?

lone rider

Re: Best road to take out to Dandenongs

Postby lone rider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Not sure about best way to get there from Malvern, depends on the individual, I have seen plenty of people ride Burwood hwy but it is a busy road. The other issue at the moment about getting to the base of the Dandys is the level crossing removal at Bayswater, Mountain Hwy is set to be closed for a while very soon, a local may pop in with more info on this but the website is saying its from Sunday so you may be ok. Once you get near the bottom the options are plenty, the main 4 climbs make up the crucifix http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=403 you can start from the bottom of any of them, starting from FTG can be an option if you just wanna ride Burwood Hwy the whole way there. Emerald Bakery loop is popular as an easier ride over rolling hills type stuff http://www.mapmyride.com/au/ferntree-gu ... e-18582626. There is lots of really quiet side road climbs where you will barely see a car but without a guide or local knowledge it may be hard to make them into a loop, Perrins creek rd and The Crescent are easily found at the top of the 1:20 and are normally nice and quiet any time of the day.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Malvern to dandenongs is not an ideal path and it's not that great of a ride. I'd try drive there if possible. I rekon you'd want to at least try your luck at completing the full crucifix. http://theclimbingcyclist.com/is-there- ... -crucifix/

If you absolutely must ride there, then I'd be going:

Gardiners creek trail, Scotchmans creek trail, Eastlink, Dandenong creek trail, then that will take you up 1/20. Which is the start of the crucifix. The full crux is only about 70km but it's a lto of fast descent and climbing. If you are keen this is the one to do. My tip though is to save at least one gel up invenerss rd, you will need it.

FYI I live in Burwood and would not recommend burwood highway unles sit was really early morning. Once traffic picks up, even weekends, there is alot of cars, and most of the drivers are asian (I am also so I can be wasssist).
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:11 pm

I ride from Malvern area and usually take Burwood Hwy then Mountain Hwy out and back.

I always go early and make sure i'm off the road again by around 10am. When you go early, traffic is fairly non-existent on the way out there. On the way back, it's getting pretty busy by 9:30am but you can ride the separated service lanes through some sections. It's not ideal, so don't expect it to be a nice, relaxing ride coming back along there! Unfortunately, Burwood Hwy or High St are really your only good options from this area.

Also, I wouldn't go on Warrigal Rd in any direction after about 8am. To get from Malvern through to Burwood Hwy, it's best to go along Winton Rd/Munro Ave/Summerhill Rd then right along Toorak Rd. (which turns into Burwood Rd/Hwy.)

If the weather's clear, make sure you get up to Skyhigh Mt. Dandenong as you get a decent view up there when it is. If it's not, you won't see anything and I wouldn't bother...!

The main ascents are:
- The 1:20 is basically a must as it's a Melbourne institution (West side of the hill).
- Perrins Ck Rd & Olinda-Monbulk Rd are both nice ascents up from that (Eastern) direction.
- Inverness Rd (North side) is a favourite of mine as it's pretty steep and queit, with A+ quality tarmac.
- The south side (up from ferntree gully) can be skipped imo as half of it is on the major road across the hill... However, turning off at Churchill Drv then up One Tree Hill does make for a nice quiet and scenic finish up to Sassafras.

As suggested, you can do them all and do 'the crucifix'. It's a pretty tough morning out though!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I often take Highbury rd from Warrigul rd to at least Blackburn rd before joining Burwood hwy and then onto Mountain hwy. On the return I'll usually take the same route, though it is possible to cut across to the start of Highbury rd just after the Bunnings if Burwood hwy is too busy.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

dalai47 wrote:I often take Highbury rd from Warrigul rd to at least Blackburn rd before joining Burwood hwy and then onto Mountain hwy. On the return I'll usually take the same route, though it is possible to cut across to the start of Highbury rd just after the Bunnings if Burwood hwy is too busy.

Yes - Highbury Rd is a great route for that section. You can take Gardiners Trail from down near East Malvern and turn up Highbury Rd rather than cross it.

If you don't mind a little gravel, take it to the end and follow the trail straight ahead and up and around to the left and it brings you down from behind the transfer station to Burwood Hwy just beyond Bunnings at Morack Rd. From there you have a choice of Burwood Hwy to Ferntree Gully, or Mountain Hwy to The Basin - or just follow the Eastlink/Dandy Ck Trail to the Basin.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

possum-magic

Postby possum-magic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 am

Awesome - thanks everyone. Appreciate all the tips!

I'm from Tassie, so looking forward to a few hills :-)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:34 pm

I like to use shared paths, ride tempo/easy out on those, then hit it on the climbs.

if you are taking roads, try to go early, although you can't return early. all of the roads are roads, the one that makes me nervous is Canterbury Rd only in one section where you are heading uphill and it gets quite narrow in 80 km/h (I think) zone.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Agree with above, Canterbruy Rd between Dprset Rd and Montrose pretty much much sucks. Best to avoid.
"Riding not racing...."

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Agree with above, Canterbruy Rd between Dprset Rd and Montrose pretty much much sucks. Best to avoid.

I live in this area and agree with this. 80kph zone with Little or no shoulder and often lots of large trucks.

The way I usually get home from the south is to use Colchester Rd --> Garden St --> Liverpool Rd --> Urana --> Gladesville Dr (just to warm up the legs for climbing) --> Mt Dandenong Rd. There is another option via Alpine Way/Walnut Dr/Montrose Rd. If you use Mt Dandenong Rd to approach roundabout and traffic is heavy, it can be safer to ride straight through and then use the pedestrian lights to cross the road and then ride back and make a left hand turn onto the tourist road. You'll see what I mean if you ride that way.

Although today, I rode home along Canterbury Rd from Camberwell so sucked it up and rode to Colchester and went the above way from there.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Calvin27 wrote: (I am also so I can be wasssist).

You are not scared. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Holidays in ~1hr I might have a crack at the crucifix too, from Noble park north. FIL lives there.
Thanks for the thread. :)

Googlemaps has a bicycle routes selection in the menu;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.869 ... a=!5m1!1e3

I don't know if it's worth a cracker?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:43 am

Here's my Burwood - 1-in-20 - SkyHigh ride from Sunday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/780283623
Feel free to steal the GPX data and follow.
Burwood highway outbound is OK. Inbound, Highbury Rd is a little quieter

If you turn off East at Olinda you drop down The Wall (C406). If you go South through Sassafras you drop down the Devil's Elbow (C415).

Save some energy for the ride back, there are a few rolling hills.

Also maybe shoot a message to the Ashburton Riders Club, there's a good chance someone will do a hill ride that you could join (~100km/1700m is common)
http://forums.delphiforums.com/arcers/start

possum-magic

Postby possum-magic » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:56 pm

OK, so for ease of navigation, I went: High Street Road all the way until it hit the Burwood Freeway, then along that as far as Scoresby Road, then up to Boronia Road and then along to Mountain Hwy.

I then did what I think is unofficially known as The "Super" Crucifix: https://www.strava.com/activities/779366532

Was a cracking day for riding, and vehicle traffic was pretty light until about 11am, then it got busy on the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd but stayed quiet enough on all the other climbs. Must have seen about half of Melbourne riding roadies up there though! Makes lil' ol' Tassie seem so unpopulated :-)

I was a bit worried about the return route along Burwood and High Street Rd, but wasn't that bad as far as the traffic was concerned. Had to stop and refuel at a BP though, as after 3500m+ of climbing, all those little rollers along High Street Rd took their toll ;-)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Well done - As good a route as any and impressive times on all the main climbs ! :)

Glad you had a good day out - best day of the week so far (weather-wise) is the reason you saw so many other riders out there today. 8)
"Riding not racing...."

cerb

Postby cerb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:11 am

Nice job!