Tips/Apps/Routes - New to cycling around Melbourne

chips and gravy

Tips/Apps/Routes - New to cycling around Melbourne

Postby chips and gravy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi all,

not sure this is the right place but i guess I'll be directed otherwise if not.

I am really excited to be purchasing a road bike in coming weeks for the first time in my life.

Previously pettering around on mountain bikes etc i am now 25 and looking to have that more active lifestyle i previously havent had.

Riding from now reading the forums and articles on line etc a great way around town and the general jist of people i speak to is once you get into it it is great.

My aim is to ride the 14km to and from work and then say on the weekend drive somewhere and just take off along a path or road end up somewhere have a coffee and head home etc. I am a scenic person i enjoy seeing new things so to me this is the best part.

Im chasing some tips that you seasoned cyclists might have for getting round Melbounre.

Any routes you recommend? Any apps to download that might help?

I live in the south east but have access to the dandenongs, peninsula and bayside so really open to a fair chunk of the pie.

I dont know any bike trails or paths etc really so is there a google maps equivalent that lets you put in your destination and it shows you the preferred bike route etc?

Thanks in advance

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tips/Apps/Routes - New to cycling around Melbourne

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:00 am

Strava (app) is a top pick.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 am

Google Maps - click on the Cycling icon to show routes and shared paths around the suburbs.

Strava - use the 'Explore' option to find popular segments which will help you identify good routes, especially (for example) in the Dandenongs.

Get out on a Sunday morning and follow the local road riders around (ask at local bike shops about rides) and you'll soon get an idea of the regular ride routes for that kind of riding.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Welcome!

Ridewithgps is a useful app for route planning. Bikely is good for finding routes others have uploaded. Or uploading your own.

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/city_id ... 651b004770

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:28 am

chips and gravy wrote:Hi all,

not sure this is the right place but i guess I'll be directed otherwise if not.

I am really excited to be purchasing a road bike in coming weeks for the first time in my life.

Previously pettering around on mountain bikes etc i am now 25 and looking to have that more active lifestyle i previously havent had.

Riding from now reading the forums and articles on line etc a great way around town and the general jist of people i speak to is once you get into it it is great.

My aim is to ride the 14km to and from work and then say on the weekend drive somewhere and just take off along a path or road end up somewhere have a coffee and head home etc. I am a scenic person i enjoy seeing new things so to me this is the best part.

Im chasing some tips that you seasoned cyclists might have for getting round Melbounre.

Any routes you recommend? Any apps to download that might help?

I live in the south east but have access to the dandenongs, peninsula and bayside so really open to a fair chunk of the pie.

I dont know any bike trails or paths etc really so is there a google maps equivalent that lets you put in your destination and it shows you the preferred bike route etc?

Thanks in advance

For an interesting tour around the city, try the Capital City Trail.[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_City_Trail[url]

Hildalgo

Postby Hildalgo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

If you wanted to find out about the best climbs around Melbourne you should check out:

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/
http://www.thedandenongranges.com/

As to bike trails in the South-east you have:

* The Eastlink Trail (Carrum to The Basin)
* Peninsula Link (Carrum to Mount Eliza)
* Scotchmans Creek Trail (Glen Waverley to the City)
* Mullum Mullum / Gardiners Creek Trail (Ringwood to the City)
* Hallam Bypass Trail (Hallam to Berwick)

There are a few riding groups out that way with the Rowville Riders, & the Cardinia Climbers who offer regular group rides. Let us know if you need any further information on any of these rides.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 am

The Strava Global Heatmap is a pretty handy tool for finding popular roads for cycling too. http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/