Is Sydney rd the most dangerous in Australia?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Is Sydney rd the most dangerous in Australia?

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:36 am

RAVC proposal for bike lanes on Sydney rd, removing the parking replaced by 400 paid off street parking spots becoming free. It seems a solution that will protect the businesses and even enhance their businesses due to their more pleasant environment. What stunned me was the number of reported accidents
There were 223 reported bike crashes on Sydney Road between 2006 and 2015, the highest number for any Melbourne road
Add to that the accidents that weren't reported and we are looking at one bike accident a week

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/racv- ... uma5k.html

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Leaf T

Re: Is Sydney rd the most dangerous in Australia?

Postby Leaf T » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 am

I used to commute along Sydney Rd for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those crashes were because of cars turning right and T-boning the cyclist. You really need to keep your head up and wits switched on along there.

Most of the accidents and near misses I saw were southbound between Albert St and Royal Parade and particularly from Glenlyon Rd where the cars would bank up. Heading home I avoided it due to pedestrians stepping out and way too many 60km close passes. Scary.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 pm

it's congested and road users are doing all sorts of things without taking care.

I live near Sydney Rd and don't find riding it very dangerous, as I take the precautions of not riding against door zones and not at full speed past stationary traffic. a lot of clearly inexperienced cyclists just ride at whatever speed their legs allow them to, oblivious to hazards like pedestrians crossing in front of stationary, high vehicles, doors opening, etc.

I ride 15,000km a year and it's unlikely most cyclists on Sydney Rd are going to spot hazards as easily as me. the solution is better infrastructure.

there are still heaps of circumstances where I might get knocked over anyway.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:52 pm

as I take the precautions of not riding against door zones and not at full speed past stationary traffic.
This. I rode back home down Chapel St today (another contender for a dangerous road) watching a young woman ahead of me riding fairly quickly in the bike lane which put her right in the door zone. I was half expecting her to get hit by a door or by a car suddenly stopping to take a car park or a ped to step out without looking as they often do. Thankfully she survived til she turned off into Toorak rd.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 pm

jules21 wrote:... I take the precautions of not riding against door zones and not at full speed past stationary traffic....
Same here but when I was commuting it was a clearway so no parked cars to deal with. Plenty of banked up cars though and you need to keep your head up. People bag inline brake levers on drop bars but they were ideal for commuting with the extra height they allow.

gnarly_rider

Postby gnarly_rider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I commute daily inbound on Sydney road, and TBH I would be unsuprised if a (fair?) proportion of the accidents are the fault of cyclists.

Apart from the obvious knobs running red lights, I see almost every day cyclists undercutting(*) moving cars who are approaching an imminent left turn with their left turn-indicators on. Some even dumb enough to swerve left onto the side road pedestrian crossing in their desperation to undercut such vehicles.

* And by undercutting, I don't mean cyclists already to the left of a car who suddenly indicates and turns, thereby cutting the cyclist off. I am referring to a car a few cars in front of the cyclist, who has clearly indicated their intent to turn with plenty of warning, yet, the cyclist still proceeds to undercut.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Uncle Just wrote:
as I take the precautions of not riding against door zones and not at full speed past stationary traffic.
This. I rode back home down Chapel St today (another contender for a dangerous road) ...
I often ride north along Chapel in the afternoon and take the same approach, ride wide of the parked cars and slowly past stationary traffic.
Had some hero on a road bike yell out "oh, come on!!" from behind one day as he couldn't get passed me between the stationary cars and tram..
I let him go, then caught him at the Toorak Rd lights 100mtrs later....

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 am

With yesterday's tragic events, Chapel St is shaping up as the worst street in Melbourne. I believe it already holds the 'car-dooring' title.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 pm

P!N20 wrote:Leaked documents, how intriguing.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 4zu5m.html
think its all some sort of softening up scenario - seems to happen quite a bit on controversial proposals - might be becoming paranoid but its almost like lets put out what some will see as the most hated proposal (the one pictured - which i like but I'm pretty pro cycling and walking) and then compromise back from there when the excitement has died down and all the opposition is organised and won't move much - fingers crossed separated cycle lanes, no Sydney rd parking, tramstops that work for everyone - most likely outcome "the compromise" on road parking non peak periods and just more white lines

St Kilda rd has comparable cyclist accident levels the August 2016 vicroads St Kilda Rd Safety Improvement Study introductory doc' reported 122 cyclist injury incidents in the 5 years jan 2011 to dec 2015 - thing about St Kilda that gets me every time I use it is that with all the space available (and a close parallel "vehicle only" road - Queens Rd) still no solution - Sydney Rd is much harder call but can only hope