New Introduction

Perkey_Turkey

New Introduction

Postby Perkey_Turkey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:11 am

Hi All,

Just joined and figured I should introduce myself.

30 and getting into cycling after a 4 year break, got myself a bike to commute with. Used to get commute by bike and then go for weekend rides. What I wasn't expecting was that my girlfriend would be jealous of my new toy and want one for herself. I pitched the idea of a tandem, which we hired on the weekend and had a blast.

Fast-forward to today and we've just got ourselves a used tandem for some weekend adventures. I rode it 15km today on the way home and its pretty obvious a bunch of things need to be adjusted, so It'll be a small project to clean it up into a more effective working state. Components are nothing special; If we outgrow it it'll be easier to justify a bigger expense. Looking forward to cleaning it up some and enjoying autumn weather.

Any other tandem riders around? The world of sync-chains and eccentric bottom brackets is a little new to me, so it'll be interesting to see how things develop.

- David.

Leaf T

Re: New Introduction

Postby Leaf T » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

I know nothing about tandems so I'll just say... Welcome!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome PT....i too know nothing about tandems only to say.....every now and then, just have a look around to make sure the Girlfriend is doing her share of the pedals coz if It was My Mrs, she'd have her legs up on the top bar bludging a ride :lol: :lol:

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome to the forum David.

Fortunately I do know a bit about tandems having raced them for 5 years with vision impaired stokers, and rode others with my wife before that.

Tandem owners soon learn all about cranks and eccentrics...

The 'she's not pedalling' line is something you'll just have to get used to. Informed stokers will often patiently explain that a tandem is a bit like a Porsche, with the motor at the back and a (insert description) poser up the front.

Before you start developing bad habits I'd suggest you do some reading first. The late Sheldon Brown's website has a few good articles on riding adjusting and maintaining tandems. Good starting and stopping technique can save a lot of embarrassment and make it lots more fun.

Tandems are great bikes for tinkerers, because it seems that there is always something that needs work.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

I agree with all that Cameron said.

I have ridden with vision impaired cyclists and it is great to be able to help vision impaired persons to enjoy cycling.

Mary, my wife never had a bike as a child and showed no interest when i went cycling but just after our 40th wedding anniversary fellow KBTC culb members decided to sell their entry level tandem because the stoker had a hip replacement and could not raise her leg over the cross bar. I took Mary for a test ride and she enjoyed it.

We have upgraded to a Thorn Raven Twin touring tandem with a Rohloff hub and did a short self supported tour in 2015 and hope to do another in May.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/16958

A useful forum: http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/

Cheers

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!