Oil poured on Capital City Trail

biker jk

Oil poured on Capital City Trail

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Melbourne cyclists have raised concerns for their safety after the fire brigade was called to remove oil from Capital City Trail twice in one day.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-12/m ... ls/8700664

redsonic

Re: Oil poured on Capital City Trail

Postby redsonic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Hmm, I wonder if it was a deliberate spill.... :roll:
Edward Hore from the Australian Cycle Alliance said it showed a level of contempt for cyclists in the city.
Mr Hore said he did not believe the spill could have been an accident, because the oil was spread "backwards and forwards in a zig-zag fashion".
And the police are showing their usual level of concern for vulnerable road users having their lives put at risk:
The MFB spokesman said the brigade reported the incident to police. A Victoria Police spokeswoman could not confirm if the complaint was being investigated.

Twitter user Matt Vicars called on police to investigate, tweeting that the spill was "a premeditated act of aggression" that "could seriously injure people".

Responding on Twitter, Victoria Police suggested he contact the local council.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 am

It's odd. The anti-cyclist brigade tend to want bikes off the road yet this is a targeted attack on the very place that cyclists cause least inconvenience. This is deliberate and malicious.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

New York Times covers the oil vandal story...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/worl ... c=rss&_r=0

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 pm

djw47 wrote:It's odd. The anti-cyclist brigade tend to want bikes off the road yet this is a targeted attack on the very place that cyclists cause least inconvenience. This is deliberate and malicious.
Yep, so ride on the road, in the middle of the lane. Can't ride on bike paths, people spread oil across them - too dangerous, sorry if I'm holding you up!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

djw47 wrote:It's odd. The anti-cyclist brigade tend to want bikes off the road yet this is a targeted attack on the very place that cyclists cause least inconvenience. This is deliberate and malicious.
You're giving them too much credit. This sort of act is the work of morons who I suspect are really just trying to create havoc and get in the media. Cyclists are a good target because they think (know) they'll get some support for their otherwise cockroach-y antics. I doubt there's a strategic purpose to it.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:31 am

Turds picked a good spot. Off camber bend. There was some thought put into this...much better secluded spots closer to street access down there.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am

slow news day? tues am just heard on the radio news that it happened again on sunday?

rooftop

Postby rooftop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:45 pm

It may have happened again. There was sand on the path in the same spot as the previous spills this morning. Signs said "Water on road" :o

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:11 pm

Police investigate multiple incidents of oil poured onto Melbourne bike paths
Loretta Florance, ABC wrote: It is understood a female cyclist had to have emergency dental surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, after coming off her bike last night in the latest incident on the Dynon Road path, in West Melbourne.
Debbie, in North Balwyn, told ABC Melbourne her daughter had been off work for a fortnight after falling off her bike last time oil was poured on the track.
"She broke her right elbow. She said the guy following her also fell, so they both went over one after the other," she said.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 pm

heard police spokesperson on radio news this pm saying that this could result in serious charges so that is good

coverage in the Herald Sun - google the full article works better than linking - quote below should be attributed to the Herald Sun

“We have concerns that there may be further incidents which could result in further people sustaining injuries or being hospitalised as a result.”

Police are yet to speak with any cyclists caught up in the attacks but are appealing for a woman who it’s understood suffered facial injuries after crashing her bike to come forward.

Leading Sen-Constable Larson said the culprit could face serious charges such as conduct endangering another person."

what I don't understand is that this seems to fit an odd pattern with actions that intimidate cyclists - my concern being that injury has to occur and it has to be recorded - this makes no sense to me - plenty of other situations were intent or action that could cause harm seem to be enough to result in action?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 pm

antigee wrote:what I don't understand is that this seems to fit an odd pattern with actions that intimidate cyclists - my concern being that injury has to occur and it has to be recorded - this makes no sense to me - plenty of other situations were intent or action that could cause harm seem to be enough to result in action?
Could cultural, could be technical reasons. Bear in mind that in general criminal charges require proof of mens rea - "guilty mind" - that is easier to prove in some circumstances than others. eg, very hard to prove in traffic matters, whereas easy to prove in assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

I think in this case it's just plod being reactive rather than proactive, and suffering the same set of attitudes towards cyclists as the rest of the community. It's not like they don't have enough work coming their way with DV and the meth epidemic among other distractions, so probably explains the lack of attention until the situation reaches a certain threshhold - someone actually getting hurt. With that happening, it now reaches a level whereby they can justify giving it attention alongside their other priorities.

Does that make sense? I could be talking through my hat, but that's kind of the background picture I get from my police sergeant neighbour and from talking to the guys I've dealt with on the close pass infringements I've submitted.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 pm

you're spot on TG. if police took every incident seriously, the fact is half of us would need to be police to handle the case load. it's frustrating when they won't action stuff we assess as serious, but we need to acknowledge there's a rational reason behind it. I'm not saying we should just accept police inaction though, always.

gnarly_rider

Postby gnarly_rider » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Moonee Ponds creek corner looks like it got another dose of oil in the last few days / overnight? Lots of fresh sand, and the track was barricaded off this morning.

Bigman

Postby Bigman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm

...and again overnight...