Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

djw47
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Out for a ride today and noticed that somebody has painted some "UP" logos on The Wall and the 1 in 20 with a Rapha logo. Just wondering if anybody knew when they were put there and if there's any reason for them?
Image

dmwill
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Perth, NOR

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby dmwill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Part of a Stava challenge to climb 4600m in 3 weeks.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/rapharising

lone rider
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby lone rider » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 am

They put one on Beach Rd as well at hayden's hill. That one would need a lot of repeats.

dalai47
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Piss poor painting advertising on the roads!

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 am

dmwill wrote:Part of a Stava challenge to climb 4600m in 3 weeks.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/rapharising

You don't necessarily have to go to the Dandenongs (or any other mountain) to meet the challenge. My weekly commute alone has over 3000m climbing (I live in Melbourne's hilly eastern suburbs), and I'm not alone in that.

fat and old
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am

dalai47 wrote:Piss poor painting advertising on the roads!


Prolly due to their fancy clubhouse opening a little while back in the CBD

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am

Probably breaking a law somewhere... significant road markings. like roadside signs, are tightly bound by many rules and regulations.

Not the wisest approach to promotions. I hope (but doubt) that they (Rapha) sought some advice from relevant road managers before proceeding.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 am

cyclotaur wrote:Probably breaking a law somewhere... significant road markings. like roadside signs, are tightly bound by many rules and regulations.

Only here. In Europe (e.g. France, Italy, etc.) well-known mountain roads are covered in graffiti, and nobody seems to make a big deal out of it.

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:Probably breaking a law somewhere... significant road markings. like roadside signs, are tightly bound by many rules and regulations.

Only here. In Europe (e.g. France, Italy, etc.) well-known mountain roads are covered in graffiti, and nobody seems to make a big deal out of it.

Apples and oranges - I've seen similar scrawls on roads here used by HSTour etc, that's why I said 'significant' ie. a directional arrow as in this case. Also advertising - which this is, really, as pointed out by someone else. You can't just go around slapping up signs and posters, just as you can't use civil infrastructure as your free advertising medium.

There are rules and regs** for road marking/delineation for road safety and traffic management, and I'm pretty sure this would be frowned upon by the responsible road authorities. That's all I'm saying. :wink:

**I have some experience in this sort of thing.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

__PG__
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby __PG__ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm

They are also on Mt Pleasant Road in Eltham and the Banyule Flats road in Templestowe.
Image
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

__PG__
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby __PG__ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
There are rules and regs** for road marking/delineation for road safety and traffic management, and I'm pretty sure this would be frowned upon by the responsible road authorities. That's all I'm saying. :wink:

**I have some experience in this sort of thing.

I was just thinking that in the future, these rules will have to be tightened for autonomous cars.
Image
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:48 am

__PG__ wrote:They are also on Mt Pleasant Road in Eltham and the Banyule Flats road in Templestowe.

Yes, I've seen them all over the place...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

djw47
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Probably breaking a law somewhere... significant road markings. like roadside signs, are tightly bound by many rules and regulations.

Not the wisest approach to promotions. I hope (but doubt) that they (Rapha) sought some advice from relevant road managers before proceeding.


They're painted in yellow and are already starting to look a bit worn out so I don't think it's a big problem.
Image

djw47
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 pm

lone rider wrote:They put one on Beach Rd as well at hayden's hill. That one would need a lot of repeats.


Beach Road has a hill? :o
Image

djw47
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
dmwill wrote:Part of a Stava challenge to climb 4600m in 3 weeks.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/rapharising

You don't necessarily have to go to the Dandenongs (or any other mountain) to meet the challenge. My weekly commute alone has over 3000m climbing (I live in Melbourne's hilly eastern suburbs), and I'm not alone in that.


I don't think anybody was suggesting that you had to go to the Dandenongs to meet the target. :?
Image

User avatar
jules21
Posts: 10331
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

I think it's directions for the Rapha Ride that was on the weekend

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Rapha road markings in the Dandenongs

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:40 pm

djw47 wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:
dmwill wrote:Part of a Stava challenge to climb 4600m in 3 weeks.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/rapharising

You don't necessarily have to go to the Dandenongs (or any other mountain) to meet the challenge. My weekly commute alone has over 3000m climbing (I live in Melbourne's hilly eastern suburbs), and I'm not alone in that.


I don't think anybody was suggesting that you had to go to the Dandenongs to meet the target. :?

I wasn't either. I was just providing a point of view, sorry if that offended you.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: holywater