Around the Bay 2017 is on Sunday 8 October.

Mike Ayling

Around the Bay 2017 is on Sunday 8 October.

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm

According to the Bicycle Victoria website you can still register for any of the distances if your credit card will stand it.

In bygone days the event used to sell out well ahead of the date.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

macca33

Re: Around the Bay 2017 is on Sunday 8 October.

Postby macca33 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 pm

I think the fact that there is now an 'event or sportif' on every weekend in Spring/Summer may have something to do with it...there are some weekends with two to three events on!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:42 pm

More space for me, eighth year in a row.

I don't actually see the ATBIAD ride in the same light as other challenge rides like AAC/AGF/GirodellaDonna etc.

Probably raised about $3.5k (from close family and friends) since 2010 for Smith Family just for going on a nice Sunday ride.
Easy-peasy. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm

It has been on my radar since I became a "roadie" last year. So will be my first.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 pm

It's a ride (the actual ride around the bay with ferry crossing ) that everyone, serious recreational cyclist or otherwise, should do whether done by signing up or off your own bat. And most have done it, some more than once. It's now been surpassed by other rides, fondos and the like so it's had its day perhaps. The course apart from a few sections is fairly boring particularly the Geelong road which is best done first. It also has a reputation for a tediously long time to move from the start, poor bunch riding skills and the weather can be a lottery held as it is in the most volatile time of the year.
I've often thought a better massed start ride describing a semi arc around the Melbourne hinterland with some climbs and part coast would be a worthy replacement but permits, cost and associated issues would make it an improbability.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm

I finally signed up for this one so we'll see what it's like.

Lot's of people seem to do this and 210KM is a long ride. Figure it won't be harder than the Amy Gillett ride around Lorne given the hills.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

I know i might sound like a tight wad, and i understand its for charity, but the entry price does seem pretty excess for a ride. I was thinking of entering but then saw it was $160 for the 160km and thought better of it.....

Will still do the ride one day, but this weekend wont be one of them, plus Bathurst is on so no competition there.

Hildalgo

Postby Hildalgo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 am

They also tend to somehow pick the date of the windiest day in October. Last year saw upwards of 100 km gusts, and many were blown off their bikes, which puts question to their safety measures where they will run an event in such dangerous conditions. In 2013 we had up to 80 km gusts and on the Princess highway between Geelong to Werribee I saw a rider in front of me blown into a caravan that was travelling close to 100kmph. The rider was knocked out, suffering broken bones and given what we saw, was lucky that it wasn't a fatality. Haven't gone in the event since.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 pm

I rode around the Bay once, on a nice day in February several years ago. Then I made the mistake of riding in ATBIAD in October that year. I enjoyed the February one much more (and it cost less, too). The mass ride is a messy circus.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:54 pm

I've never been tempted to ride the loop, including the ferry. I just ride Melb-Sorrento return (200km) and it's always a good day out, winds notwithstanding.

There's great support down the eastern side of the bay at Mordi, Frankston and Sorrento, and back at the finish. You are back in Melbourne by mid-arvo after a 6am start. I've never had too many issues with other riders or bunches. There's not the same urgency without the dead time of the ferry crossing involved. If winds are favourable it's a pretty cruisey ride.

Plus if it all turns to s*** you can catch the train back from Frankston. :D

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:00 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Plus if it all turns to s*** you can catch the train back from Frankston. :D
No Myki, no train bail out.
Although I have a sister in law in Mt Martha and a daughter in Patterson Lakes :)

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Neddysmith wrote:I know i might sound like a tight wad, and i understand its for charity, but the entry price does seem pretty excess for a ride. I was thinking of entering but then saw it was $160 for the 160km and thought better of it.....

Will still do the ride one day, but this weekend wont be one of them, plus Bathurst is on so no competition there.
The thing is though, it's not actually for charity. None of the entry fee goes to charity - it all goes to BN. They have affiliated charities who they promote but any fundraising is over and above the entry fee.

FWIW, I've done it once and have never really been tempted to go back. As others have said the weather can ruin it, particularly the ride up from Frankston where the roads are busier and you get sandblasted, and the section down the freeway to Geelong (assuming you go anti-clockwise) along the shoulder of the freeway is a slog. Do it once, tick it off your bucket-list then go and find some more interesting routes. Having said that, I've entered the 25km this year so my young kids can experience a mass riding event on the road.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

djw47 wrote:
Neddysmith wrote:I know i might sound like a tight wad, and i understand its for charity, but the entry price does seem pretty excess for a ride. I was thinking of entering but then saw it was $160 for the 160km and thought better of it.....
The thing is though, it's not actually for charity. None of the entry fee goes to charity - it all goes to BN. They have affiliated charities who they promote but any fundraising is over and above the entry fee.

I've never considered the entry fee excessive, considering the logistics involved. They could cut costs by ditching the iconic 'bucket list' loop rides, I guess.

I've also never made the mistake of thinking any of the entry goes to charity, though this seems a common misconception. I've always tried to raise some money for The Smith Familyas part of my ride. Feel free to donate through the link. :wink:

Many/most other big rides also have an optional fundraising component but this is my one fundraising ride for the year.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
djw47 wrote:

I've never considered the entry fee excessive, considering the logistics involved. They could cut costs by ditching the iconic 'bucket list' loop rides, I guess.
Then it wouldn't be Around The Bay. Sure for its distance it's a comparitively easy ride and been surpassed by other events in recent times. But I reckon BV/BN have devalued the achievment by adding so many "part-way-around-the-Bay" options under the "Around..." tag.

I only did it once to tick it off the bucket list, and have no great desire to do it again, for the multiple reasons expressed by others above.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 pm

The main reason I have kept doing it for several years is that it gives me a start point for my summer riding. Several other big rides/trips follow, usually. This year I have four (maybe five) big riding events/trips planned from now until mid next year. Gotta start somewhere ! :wink:

The ATB200 suits me fine - not fussed by the loop options. Riding to Geelong has no appeal to me. I can ride to the start, ride home at the finish etc etc. As I said, the support along the way is great - Fundraising an optional extra.

gtext

Postby gtext » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:03 am

As someone else said for the petrolheads it's the main Bathurst day. I would have added my support from the roadside otherwise as I'm out with a sore knee and the last week of recovery from a broken collar bone.

Best of luck to those running.

cerb

Postby cerb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am

Haven't done it before and have no desire to. The ride between Melbourne and Geelong holds no interest to me and the rest of the route you can do by yourself any day you choose!

Weather doesn't look magical for Sunday - BoM predicting rain and possible storms from around midday, with wind increasing to 25-35kph northerly. At least if you're doing the CW direction, that should mean a cross-tail wind home on the highway... Tough finish for the majority of riders who go CCW or just Sorrento return though!

Good luck to those riding :)

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:08 pm

cerb wrote: At least if you're doing the CW direction, that should mean a cross-tail wind home on the highway...
There is no CW ride option nowadays.
Good thing I have been riding in plenty of headwinds over the last few months. I 'll try and wheel suck heading home I think :P :)

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Never done and don't think ever will. Why would I pay for something that I can ride for free every single day?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:26 pm

defy1 wrote:Never done and don't think ever will. Why would I pay for something that I can ride for free every single day?
I'd say the same about AGF, Giro della Donna etc. They are mostly even easier to do anytime than ATB.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 pm

It's the vibe :D

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:22 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:It's the vibe :D
True - I quite like 'the vibe'. :D

I don't understand the negative posts though...If you don't like the vibe, or have some beef with the event, that's fine - just let it go.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:43 am

cyclotaur wrote:
defy1 wrote:Never done and don't think ever will. Why would I pay for something that I can ride for free every single day?
I'd say the same about AGF, Giro della Donna etc. They are mostly even easier to do anytime than ATB.
Depends.. the last two years (expecting father and new father) it’s been pretty hard to reserve a solid chunk of time. An event helps there.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 pm

60-70 km/h Northerlies which is less than some other years but its time for BNV to take a hint, move the date, there is none of these type of rides on in December.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:35 pm

lone rider wrote:60-70 km/h Northerlies which is less than some other years but its time for BNV to take a hint, move the date, there is none of these type of rides on in December.
Unfortunately The Great Victorian Bike Ride is usually the last week in November carrying over a couple of days into December.

Not impossible but would put some pressure on the BV event organising team.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!