Perth-ian cycling in Melbourne

sarahactivated

Perth-ian cycling in Melbourne

Postby sarahactivated » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi forum

Do you have any suggestions for a bike hire in Melbourne? and any general advice for a Perth cyclist?

I have got to go from Toorak to Footscray Hospital. I am comfortable cycling in Perth but I am worried that Melbourne is a whole other beast. I might be carting around two three year olds too, so an electric bike may be my only option.
Sarah - Perth WA

Cyclophiliac

Re: Perth-ian cycling in Melbourne

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:02 pm

You could try the following: head north in Toorak to the Main Yarra Trail (a shared path), then head west and north along that all the way to Melbourne, continuing on the path until it turns right/north and heads north along Dockland Blvd, then the same path turns left/west and heads west along Footscray Rd. The trail (I think) stops where Footscray Rd crosses the Maribyrnong River, so from there you could turn right onto the Maribyrnong River Trail where Footscray Rd meets the river, following it north and west until it reaches Farnsworth Ave, then ride along that road to the hospital.

Regards,

--- Victor.

sarahactivated

Re: Perth-ian cycling in Melbourne

Postby sarahactivated » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:You could try the following: head north in Toorak to the Main Yarra Trail (a shared path), then head west and north along that all the way to Melbourne, continuing on the path until it turns right/north and heads north along Dockland Blvd, then the same path turns left/west and heads west along Footscray Rd. The trail (I think) stops where Footscray Rd crosses the Maribyrnong River, so from there you could turn right onto the Maribyrnong River Trail where Footscray Rd meets the river, following it north and west until it reaches Farnsworth Ave, then ride along that road to the hospital.

Regards,

--- Victor.
Thanks Victor.. I had a quick scoot along Google maps down that route and it's nice to see that i'd be on a shared path most of the way...and it looks flat!

I've settled on hiring an e-bike from here http://voltbike.com.au/rent/ but still hunting for a trailer.

If anyone would like to show me around in Melbourne PM me. I'll be in Melbourne possibly for the month of March.
Sarah - Perth WA