Mt Dandenongs riders - road hazard!

Scintilla

Mt Dandenongs riders - road hazard!

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:09 pm

*** Road hazard!***

At the base of the Boronia Rd hill in Vermont (for those riding east-bound, to the Dandies) a road excavation of some sort, topped by a heavy steel plate cover across two lanes of the road, with some rough and sharp edges (a 40-50mm lip in some places)..

There is a 'roadworks' sign with the 60 kmh speed limit extended to just past the roadworks. Fore-warned is fore-armed!

Tequestra

Re: Mt Dandenongs riders - road hazard!

Postby Tequestra » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Another good reason for single-wheel trailers! See the little gap on the left?
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Sure, you can go left. But at 70 kmh??

Roadie groups coming down the hill here will typically be in the middle of the lane.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Scintilla wrote:Roadie groups coming down the hill here will typically be in the middle of the lane.
Ouch! Yes! I have not ridden in a group in thirty-five years but I did watch the Tour last year, and I saw a few close calls at some of those French roundabouts and cobblestones and WHY when there is a peleton involved. It is a bit like the blindness to the road surface that happens when I tag along beind buses. If you don't know the road, or if the road had changed suddenly, it is safer to have eyes to see it before riding over it.

Point taken, sir. I was alluding to the Bicycle Transport thread, actually. I would hope that in a peleton, whoever is at the front and sees that steel plate has the competitive comraderie to call out something like "Ware Hole!" so that those behind can grab the handlebars with both hands in time to avoid catastrophe. Fair warning,

PS: I apologise if I used unkind words regarding a past discussion on motorcycles in Thailand. I have a strong personal bias on this matter after over twelve years of memories of the different bikes I have owned there, and come to grief on, and I see the politics of it all in my face every morning when I look in the mirror. That is why I may have been impolite then. I did not mean to offend anyone personally. Sorry.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 pm

This work may be preparation for the transporting of 24 X 280 tonnes bridge sections for the Skye rd level crossing.

The route turns right from Boronia Rd onto Eastlink.

Speculation on my part, so the plates will be temporary.

see below...............

https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/media ... disruption
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am

Scintilla wrote:Sure, you can go left. But at 70 kmh??

Roadie groups coming down the hill here will typically be in the middle of the lane.
Usually alone for me but 60-70kph in the dark so the warning’s appreciated.