Cyclist falls 10 metres

rifraf

Cyclist falls 10 metres

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:15 am

https://au.news.yahoo.com/cyclist-falls ... 34275.html

A cyclist has been rescued after falling 10 metres down an embankment when he lost control of his bike.

The man, aged in his 20s, suffered a leg injury but paramedics said it could have been much worse.

The cyclist was riding along a track in Kew, in inner Melbourne, when he lost control of his bike and landed injured and unable to move metres from the Yarra River.

“Unfortunately he overbalanced and he’s gone off the track,” Graeme O’Sullivan from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade said.

The MFB’s high angle rescue team was called in to pull the man back up the slope.

The entire operation took about an hour before the cyclist was put in an ambulance and taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

“We worked really closely with the MFB, they did a really great job, it was a really difficult extrication,” Ambulance Victoria’s Michael Kinsella said.

The track is off limits to cyclists but park rangers say they’ve had trouble with people riding on it in recent times. Others are being urged not to make the same mistake.

“Unfortunately some cyclists still use the tracks and we see the result today that someone has fallen off the track and has an injury,” Mr O’Sullivan said.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Tim

Re: Cyclist falls 10 metres

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Not getting many bites rifraf old mate.
I'll help cheer you up with a reply. :D
So a bloke fell off his bike, rolled down a grassy hill and hurt his leg. Oh, and by the way, the track was closed to evil, law breaking, stupid cyclists.
Just another media beat-up and an opportunity to stick it up cyclists, again.

"...it was a really difficult extrication"
Didn't look too hard to me. They walked the stretcher up the hill (not cliff) with a bit off a tug.
And that extreme Melbourne Springtime heat. Must have been nearly 25C. Phew, what an effort, took a whole hour to get him out of there.

Slow news day, let's shaft a dumb cyclist.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm

rifraf wrote: paramedics said it could have been much worse.
Yeah he could have scratched his bike :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Tim wrote:Not getting many bites rifraf old mate.
I'll help cheer you up with a reply. :D
Thanks Tim, I'm cheerier already :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm

They'd better not go anywhere near Manly Dam then. Some quite high falls from cliffside trails. The funny thing is most people don;t know they're there, because the drop is screened by vegetation. Lean on the vegetation though, and you'll findit's a loooong way down.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:03 pm

rifraf wrote:The track is off limits to cyclists but park rangers say they’ve had trouble with people riding on it in recent times. Others are being urged not to make the same mistake.
Riding there is banned and inconsiderate to walkers. The track is very narrow. Don't do it.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:09 am

yep takes a bit of technical skill to get through there, not for newbies, but all part of the fun of mtbing ... life goes on. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 pm

haha! that's such good singletrack though. I used to ride there all the time. I once fell off too - on that bit where heading northwards you descend a few steps then turn right around a big tree. luckily my fall was broken by thick vegetation and I walked out/up.

I'm guessing this fellow may have fell on the rockier part near the southern end, which would have been nastier.

I also once encountered a large group of retiree hikers. they looked at me with great annoyance, and as I was about to turn around and head back (it was on a narrow, steep section of singletrack), they all climbed up the embankment for me! so i rode past and they had a whinge, but I was about to turn around otherwise. very polite people.