Robbie McEwen's Gran Fondo

Robbie McEwen's Gran Fondo

Postby ride ride ride » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what kind of fitness is needed to complete the Robbie McEwen Gran Fondo - 5th Oct, 135km, 2307m climbing. I'm a keen cyclist but have never attempted an event like this and can't seem to find any info on cut-off times. Any advice on fitness level/training/the event much appreciated :)
ride ride ride

by BNA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 pm

BNA

Re: Robbie McEwen's Gran Fondo

Postby ride ride ride » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Anyone done this ride before???
ride ride ride

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Yes, I did it last year. I am 20kg overweight for my height/age, and average around 22kph on these hilly fondos. I gave it everything last year and came in 20 mins over the time cut off. Turns out there was a bunch slower than me, so I made it through.
This year is around 20km longer, but with the same climbs.
It was an awesome event last year and I am giving it a go again this year. Going to push myself harder this year, and see if I can improve my average speed.
I don't know if they have a cut off this year. I imagine they want to go home some time.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby ride ride ride » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Cheers for the reply Brett. What kind of training had you done? Many longer distance rides?
ride ride ride

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Two types of riding beforehand:
- short daily commute to work; and just pushed hard every time
- long rides on the weekends; between 60 and 100km
- threw in some mt coottha and mt nebo rides in those to get comfortable with grinding up hills...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby dclnmurray » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Actually the climbs this year is different compared to last two years. We don't go up Tamborine the hard way from Oxenford. We go up the easy way from Tamborine village but the ride is longer.
What I would do is plan to do the longer Gran Fondo ride and if you know you can't do it on the day, drop down to the more flatter sportive 100km ride. However, if you are not able to do a 100km comfortably at this point in time I think the Gran Fondo will be a tough grind and probably best to stick to the sportive.

Regards

Dave
dclnmurray

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Good to know... That climb last year was a rip snorter!!!
brett.hooker

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 am

I noticed on the sign up page they are wanting riders to sign up for a day of insurance ($16.95) or sign a waiver.
As I am a BQ (Bicycle Queensland) member they provide insurance as part of membership so I am checking if our BQ membership is sufficient.

Regards

Dave
dclnmurray

Return to Queensland