Tips for new PB "Mt Coot-tha Back"

doyouevenbike

Tips for new PB "Mt Coot-tha Back"

Postby doyouevenbike » Fri May 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

First time posting on this forum :)

Any tips on getting a new PB up "Mt Coot-tha Back"? Currently sitting at 8:20 which I think is pretty decent, aiming for sub 8 this year.

I think at this point you can't just smash it up the climb but also need to pace well and use your head. I don't have a power meter.

Any thoughts from those who know the climb well? :D

RobertL

Re: Tips for new PB "Mt Coot-tha Back"

Postby RobertL » Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am

Pedal harder?

Seriously, there is a thread all about Mt Coot-tha under the "Training" section. Have a look here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 43&t=41658

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Ride it a variety of ways.

Some sessions I do are 3 x ascents, 1st, an all out effort, 2nd, a steady tempo effort, 3rd, 30 second sprints, 30 sec recovery, all the way up.

Or just ride a lot (hard efforts, tempo, threshold etc) and get your weight down.

When going for a PR I have strava live segments on my Wahoo Bolt to help with pacing, make sure your legs are fresh, don't take a bottle or saddle bag up and you want a South Easterly blowing.

My PB is 6.58 when doing the above.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:46 pm

get a run-up. learn where the segment starts. I don't know myself.

go easy at the start. you'll go fastest with a steady power output and that will feel easy to start with, then get progressively harder. this only works if you have a run-up, if starting from stop, then you need to push hard to build speed quickly.

keep it smooth. gauge effort by lactic buildup sensations in your legs. you can feel when it's smooth and it will be. avoid those "oh yeah, I wanted to go fast" spikes. they don't help.

good cadence - spin it out.

get a bit aero on anything > 20km/h. it will help. not down on the top tube, but not sitting upright either.

straight line the corners, if traffic is clear. stay on your side of the road.

be warmed up. you want to have a high intensity effort shortly before you start - not a long one, just 15 seconds or so at high cadence, flat out to get the motor purring. but be warmed up before that last 15 seconds, with progressively increasing stuff. don't overdo it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Wait at the bottom and draft the bus up. I believe that's how Jason got his PR up there.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:18 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Wait at the bottom and draft the bus up. I believe that's how Jason got his PR up there.

:D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:57 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Wait at the bottom and draft the bus up. I believe that's how Jason got his PR up there.
I used an occy strap. Made holding onto the bus easier. The corners were a bit dicey

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:10 am

1- sub 8% bodyfat to increase power to weight ratio
2- blue zones diet for 6 mths to remove atherosclerotic plaques from your arteries and make them more elastic
3- 10 x 3hr+ rides over 3-4 mths in hills, such as Canungra to Binna Burra, so as to stimulate hypertophy of your cardiac muscle thereby increasing cardiac output.
4- do harder longer climbs such as Samford to front and back of Mt Glorious, for same reason as point 3.
5. hatha yoga to get you to use your diaphragm better so breathing in does not increase intrathoracic pressure so much that the heart cannot fill to maximal capacity; or in short reduce adverse effects of respiratory sinus arrhythmia.
6. build leg strength endurance. increase your total number of uninterrupted pistol squats. these are very effective at building glut strength which has more capacity for strength gains than quads in experienced cyclists.
7. do stretches for all lower limb muscle groups (hip and knee flexors/extensors and adductors) and have these heavily massaged to loosen old tears. This helps improve blood delivery to and drainage from all parts of contractile muscle tissue.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:20 pm

jasonc wrote:
I used an occy strap. Made holding onto the bus easier. The corners were a bit dicey
Now youre just taking the piss. You one handed on a bike... :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 am

tips for improving Coot-tha PB and turning pro ;)
CKinnard wrote:1- sub 8% bodyfat to increase power to weight ratio
2- blue zones diet for 6 mths to remove atherosclerotic plaques from your arteries and make them more elastic
3- 10 x 3hr+ rides over 3-4 mths in hills, such as Canungra to Binna Burra, so as to stimulate hypertophy of your cardiac muscle thereby increasing cardiac output.
4- do harder longer climbs such as Samford to front and back of Mt Glorious, for same reason as point 3.
5. hatha yoga to get you to use your diaphragm better so breathing in does not increase intrathoracic pressure so much that the heart cannot fill to maximal capacity; or in short reduce adverse effects of respiratory sinus arrhythmia.
6. build leg strength endurance. increase your total number of uninterrupted pistol squats. these are very effective at building glut strength which has more capacity for strength gains than quads in experienced cyclists.
7. do stretches for all lower limb muscle groups (hip and knee flexors/extensors and adductors) and have these heavily massaged to loosen old tears. This helps improve blood delivery to and drainage from all parts of contractile muscle tissue.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:04 pm

jules21 wrote:tips for improving Coot-tha PB and turning pro ;)
all that stuff is at least 20 years old, and accessible by amateurs.
the newer pro stuff gets into close monitoring of nutrition, urine, blood, sleep, stress, and gas exchange.