QUALITY Brisbane Bike Shops

scott_mckenzie

QUALITY Brisbane Bike Shops

Postby scott_mckenzie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi all fellow Brizvegans,

I purchased a GT Nomad Sport (Hybrid) in March last year from a shop whom at this stage I will not disclose (depending on how things pan out I may later). I ride a fair bit (4 days a week, 11kms each way to work) but only ride on roads/bikeways/footpaths. I would guess at this stage that I have probably clocked about 2500kms taking into account time when I've either been sick or on holidays, etc.

I was assured that this bike would be great for work travel and would be able to handle my riding, but I've continually had it taken into the shop for servicing and am still having problems. I've taken it into the store I've purchased it 6 times and am now getting a bit fed up. I understand that the shop cannot control how I treat the bike, etc, but I've never taken it off road, and the roughest treatment it ever gets is going off a footpath back onto the road, and I always leave it indoors.

It's really frustrating me at the moment.... The first 6 months were fine but now it's like I'm taking the bike in every month to get it fixed. Last time it cost me $140 for a service.... The bike initially cost me about $700, and I've probably spent about $300 all up on servicing.

I guess this is bothering me because all I want is a bike that is reliable, and somewhere that will keep it running like new for me. What I'm also thinking is that I know absolutely nothing about maintaining a bike and so I'm sure I could have it running more smoothly if I did my own fine tuning every week..... I guess I have 3 questions for you all:
1. Do you know of anywhere that will run you through all the key components of maintaining your bike so I can keep it running reliably?
2. Was the GT Nomad Sport a reasonable bike to be advised? check out here for the specs - http://www.gtbicycles.com/pavement/cata ... brand=pave
3. If this shop disappoints me again and I come across another problem within another month I think I will buy another bike. What shops will provide me with the right advice and will also be good for ongoing servicing? Anywhere particularly on the east side of Brisbane?

Cheers - Scott
Last edited by scott_mckenzie on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Just what sort of things have been going wrong, Scott?

scott_mckenzie

Postby scott_mckenzie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi,

The main problem I have been experiencing has been to do with the gears. Particularly on the heavier gears (3rd and 8th) the bike tends to kick out of gear which can be a bit annoying.... Initally it seemed to be that it was impossible to get into 3rd gear but that has now been fixed after taking the bike in for the 3rd time with the same problem. After it started to kick out of gear I've had to take it in a few times.... Last time I took it in I make it lear that I wanted them to check absolutely everything and to get it running like new for me and while the gears have been much better, they're still not perfect.

The yesterday morning I got a puncture in my tube so I got 3 replacement tubes. They have already all got punctures so I will need to make sure that there's nothing stuck in the tyre.... That one's probably my fault but who knows! I just want a bike that isn't going to cause more hassle than benefit!

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Mate something sounds seriously wrong.
The bike should not be going back that often. I own a Avanti Discovery & an Avanti Pionear, (both Hybrids) the Pionear replaced the Discovery for the simple reason I wanted a new bike and the other half needed a bike for joint rides so he got the discovery and I got a new Bike.

Anyway before the replacement, the Discovery had covered around 4000kms so it has been worn in. It has had 1 six week(free) service and 3 six month services. I ride from New Farm to Morningside tafe so the bike is not treated gentlly. It cost $450 for the bike and it has cost me $150 in servicing.
It seams strange that your shop has charged you for services when the thing has been faulty. The bike should be under warrenty.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

scott_mckenzie

Postby scott_mckenzie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:35 am

Hi,

Glad to hear that it's not just me being ignorant of bike riding.... While I do ride a fair bit, I still don't know too much about the whole maintenance side of things. When I originally bought the bike (and all the extra bits and pieces) I thought it was worth it because it would be far more reliable than a K-Mart cheapy. I don't really care about all the bells and whistles.... I just want something that will get me to work every day reliably.

In terms of the tubes that have gone, I'm pretty sure that it's probably going to end up that something was stuck in the tyre and I didn't think to check it (obviously my fault), but who knows. I've left the wheel with the store to see what happens, but one more thing and I will be selling my bike off 2nd hand and still start again with another shop.... Hopefully this time being a lot more successful.

Cheers - Scott

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:04 am

I think that you are going to have to accept responsibilty for the punctures in new tubes, Scott - but don't worry, I'm sure we've all missed the cause of a puncture at one time or another. I came very close to putting a tyre back on with a piece of glass still embedded in it after my last puncture. It wasn't visible from the outside and I nearly missed it (which would have been embarassing, because it was a big bit) when I checked the inside. Check your rim tapes too, not just the tyre.
It does sound like a visit to another shop is in order. It shouldn't take repeated visits to get your derailleurs adjusted (if that's what the problem is).

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:30 pm

Well if you do end up replacing the bike I recommend Lifecycle at the Normanby Fiveways. I have bought both my bikes up there and they have been a great help.
If you can, get served by Tim he is very friendly and knowledgeable.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

bda20

Postby bda20 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:22 pm

triathletes world is also very good and they give you 2 years free serviceing with the bike you buy ( 1 at 6 weeks then one every 3-6 months depends on how much you ride :shock:

I am on my second bike from there and had no dramas at all :D
quitting is so easy it makes success so sweet

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:27 pm

What condition are the shift cables in Scott? SRAMs twist shifters can't stand grubby cables, your Shimanos might be the same :?

Hope I never need to go to that shop.

Shaun

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:25 pm

.sdf