Worst Offenders?

Worst Offenders?

Postby azz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I've been riding from Holland Park to Auchenflower (return) for the past 12 months now and 10 years before that had a history of road and track cycling in NNSW.
I'm constantly surprised how many people are 'out to get me' on the Brisbane CBD roads.
I find BCC buses by far the worst and have had a number of times where there was less than an inch between my handle grip and the side of the bus. One bus driver stopped a fully loaded bus across two lanes of traffic and wanted to fight me because I abused him (verbally) after one of these incidents.
I ride assertively but not aggressively.
Anyone else have stories like these?
azz
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 am

by BNA » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm

BNA
 

Postby Max » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm

A dime a dozen, unfortunately. I yelled "watch out!" at a BCC driver who pulled out in front of me (from one of those recessed alcoves, in which buses do not have right of way). This was in a shopping centre. I swerved around him and continued on. He proceeded to follow me, then started to pass me. As the door reached my right hand side, he opened it and hurled abuse at me. Then he closed the door, finished passing me, and carried on driving at well above the posted 20Kph speed limit.

His behaviour is not atypical. I've come to the conclusion that all BCC drivers are d!ckheads.

Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm

OK I know you guys have had bad run ins with BCC buses but I have had no problems with the Bus Drivers in New Farm.
If you ever have a problem Grab the Bus number (it is written on the back,front, sides and roof) and the route number and ring Brisbane Transport and/or the BCC call center. We need bus drivers to be professional when it comes to cyclists.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Postby Pax » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm

beauyboy wrote:OK I know you guys have had bad run ins with BCC buses but I have had no problems with the Bus Drivers in New Farm.
If you ever have a problem Grab the Bus number (it is written on the back,front, sides and roof) and the route number and ring Brisbane Transport and/or the BCC call center. We need bus drivers to be professional when it comes to cyclists.

Donald


Sorry to hear about your experiences azz.

I have to agree with Beauyboy re my experiences with BCC busses while CBD commuting through 2008.

I think there has been an enormous imporvement in their behaviour over the past 6 years (ie when I was last a regular commuter). Back then they were shocking (just as your experience has been lately).

My understanding is that the council does keep records of complaints about specific drivers & takes action (identifiable via the bus number location and time), so definitely report this unexcusable behaviour.
User avatar
Pax
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Postby goneriding » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am

I ride regularly in Brisbane and Sydney. Peak hours in Sydney on a couple of the busiest main roads, weekends in Brisbane. Never had a problem (that wasn't my fault :oops: ) with Sydney drivers. Brisbane on the other hand the drivers don't seem to know how to handle cyclists. They pass too close, tailgate, swerve, and when all else fails abuse.

That said some to the drivers in Brisbane are grea. A mate of mine and I got drafted down Mt Nebo the other day by some woman who needs to be put up for a sainthood!
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Postby mark31 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 pm

In my ten+ years cycle commuting in Brisbane I've found buses to be the least of my problems. They're fairly predictable as road users go. Still, you find w*nkers everywhere.

And personally, no matter how justified, I wouldn't be verbally abusing anyone, especially on the road. I don't believe it's a very successful way to get your point of view listened to. It's not surprising things escalated.

Of course, in a road situation, you're not going to get a second chance for a reasoned exchange of views, but that's where noting the number and reporting it to the relevant authorities come in.

Just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences.
mark31
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Inner Southside, Brisbane

Postby hallucinogen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 pm

I have trouble with BCC buses too. I have yelled at a few drivers in the past but only really out of shock.
hallucinogen
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 am

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 pm

But the question is have you rung the BCC call center to complain?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Postby TAL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 am

I was once a BCC driver.
I lasted 4 days in the job.
The amount of crap you have to put up with from the public and remain professional is pretty intense. For $18p/h it is not worth it. Though I did find the majority of bike riders were very respectful.
TAL
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 am

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Trust me I feel for the drivers alot of the time. They really need alot more respect and money for what they do.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Postby tomns » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I have had a good run with BCC drivers while cycling, mainly on the southside and near mt cootha. Actually I have had one drive beside me on the cootha approach and ask if I wanted a lift :)

The problems I have had with drivers have been when I have been a passenger. The worst is the speeding on bogo rd where the bike line is, I close my eyes up there as I am scared we will hit a cyclist.

The speeding on the bus way is bad too, and around annerly rd - they just drive too quickly on occasions

Tom
User avatar
tomns
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby the Mind Boggles » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:40 pm

beauyboy wrote:Trust me I feel for the drivers alot of the time. They really need alot more respect and money for what they do.

Donald



Yes $18 per hour aint really worth the stress but as you said respect to the ones who do it day in day out


Max wrote:I've come to the conclusion that all BCC drivers are d!ckheads.

Max



Nice generalising Max

Have you driven a bus Max & seen it from both sides? sitting in traffic up to 15 hours per day (yes that is quite legal in Qld driving three 5 hour stints with two 45min - 1 hour breaks in between)

Do you realise some Bus Drivers actually ride a bike to & from work Max? Do you have a name for them or didnt you realise this ?

My attitude with Bus Drivers / Heavy Vehicles is dont argue just let them through. You just wont win unfortunately. Who knows if they can see you.
the Mind Boggles
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Postby justD » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 am

the Mind Boggles wrote:
Max wrote:I've come to the conclusion that all BCC drivers are d!ckheads.

Max



Nice generalising Max



Yes, and I guess all cyclist are d!ckheads because of the few who lean of people's cars or ignore road rules etc. etc. ?
User avatar
justD
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Max » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:21 am

the Mind Boggles wrote:
Max wrote:I've come to the conclusion that all BCC drivers are d!ckheads.

Max



Nice generalising Max

Have you driven a bus Max & seen it from both sides? sitting in traffic up to 15 hours per day (yes that is quite legal in Qld driving three 5 hour stints with two 45min - 1 hour breaks in between)

Do you realise some Bus Drivers actually ride a bike to & from work Max? Do you have a name for them or didnt you realise this ?

My attitude with Bus Drivers / Heavy Vehicles is dont argue just let them through. You just wont win unfortunately. Who knows if they can see you.


Wah wah wah. I've seen BCC drivers regularly endanger other road users. I've seen it as a bike rider, as a car driver and also as a passenger. I don't need to see if from the bus driver's angle. The "walk a mile in my shoes" line doesn't hold water when the outcome is the same - endangering other road users. If some bus drivers ride a bike to and from work, good for them. I hope they don't encounter BCC bus drivers on the way.

Whilst I agree that there's no "winning" against a heavy vehicle, just letting a heavy vehicle through is not always possible. As an example, getting squished up against a curb because a bus driver is impatient is not the bike rider's fault. That bus could've waited a few extra seconds to safely pass the bike rider. The bus driver's obligations to drive safely are not outweighed by meeting a schedule. And if this is implicity or explicity allowed by the BCC, then those responsible ought to be sacked.

Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby the Mind Boggles » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am

justD wrote:
the Mind Boggles wrote:
Max wrote:I've come to the conclusion that all BCC drivers are d!ckheads.

Max



Nice generalising Max



Yes, and I guess all cyclist are d!ckheads because of the few who lean of people's cars or ignore road rules etc. etc. ?



Ah the us v them mentality.

I totally disagree. Some cyclists are close personal friends just like some bus drivers are close personal friends.

People like Max dont need to see it from the other angle which leads to blindsightedness unfortunately & choose to ignore good drivers on the road for the sake of having a whinge so he can tell his mates everyone is out to get him .
the Mind Boggles
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:16 am

It may seem like Max is "ignoring" the good drivers, but the truth is, they aren't going to hit her. It's the bad drivers who get remembered, whether they are bus drivers, car drivers or cyclists. Seeing it from the bus drivers' point of view doesn't change that.

So, yes it is a "us vs them" argument, but it's us "good drivers/riders" vs the "bad drivers/riders".

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Postby paul » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 pm

australian drivers - worst in the world

Qld drivers - worst of the worst - dont seem to know what
1 - a stop sign means
2 - a roundabout is, and how to negotiate one
3 - a red light is for
paul
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Postby the Mind Boggles » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm

paul wrote:australian drivers - worst in the world

Qld drivers - worst of the worst - dont seem to know what
1 - a stop sign means
2 - a roundabout is, and how to negotiate one
3 - a red light is for



lol Qld drivers worst in the world
I take it Paul you have never been to Cairo?

But lets assume Pauls statement is correct wouldnt that be more a reason to keep of roads in peak hour?

The Mind does Boggle



:roll:
the Mind Boggles
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:06 pm

the Mind Boggles wrote:
paul wrote:australian drivers - worst in the world

Qld drivers - worst of the worst - dont seem to know what
1 - a stop sign means
2 - a roundabout is, and how to negotiate one
3 - a red light is for



lol Qld drivers worst in the world
I take it Paul you have never been to Cairo?

But lets assume Pauls statement is correct wouldnt that be more a reason to keep of roads in peak hour?

The Mind does Boggle



:roll:


NO..... What we need is more driver education. Like for drivers to learn that when there is a cycle lane on a busy road, it is not there for them to use because the traffic in their lane isn't moving fast enough. (This happens way to much, especially on Sandgate Road at Virginia)
Andrew
User avatar
Lark2004
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Lawnton, 25k north of Brisbane

Postby the Mind Boggles » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Lark2004 wrote:
the Mind Boggles wrote:
paul wrote:australian drivers - worst in the world

Qld drivers - worst of the worst - dont seem to know what
1 - a stop sign means
2 - a roundabout is, and how to negotiate one
3 - a red light is for



lol Qld drivers worst in the world
I take it Paul you have never been to Cairo?

But lets assume Pauls statement is correct wouldnt that be more a reason to keep of roads in peak hour?

The Mind does Boggle



:roll:


NO..... What we need is more driver education. Like for drivers to learn that when there is a cycle lane on a busy road, it is not there for them to use because the traffic in their lane isn't moving fast enough. (This happens way to much, especially on Sandgate Road at Virginia)



I know exactly where you are talking about Lark.

Lots of heavy vehicles travel along the Gateway , down toombul road northbound into sandagte road & left into Pritchard road or Robinson Rd.

Peak hour is always shocking at the best of times. It has been well documented in the local media so most bike riders should already be aware how dangerous this section of Sandgate Road is. No point getting run over by a 18 wheeler tryin to educate some aggressive ignornat driver.

Ive ridden my bike along there plenty of times & my advice is to stay on the (very wide) footpath & travel at very low speeds. You might get home 1 minute later from being patient & cautious but its definately worth it. Its usually quite safe to get back in the bike lane after McDonalds on the cnr of Robinson Road.

Hope this advice helps.


Has anyone actually been & seen what traffic conditions cyclists have to deal with in Cairo?
the Mind Boggles
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Postby Max » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:00 am

Yes, yes.. of course, that's the answer. Let bullies get away with bullying, go hide in a corner, and the problem will be fixed. Problem, what problem?

Documented in local media? That's nice. Perhaps we should ask council and main roads to put signs in the bike lane that tell riders not to use it? Now that'll get the message across.

The solution to the problem is a) education: eg telling drivers that cars shouldn't be in bike lanes; and b) enforcement: eg coppers giving tickets to drivers who use the bike lane.

Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:33 am

the Mind Boggles wrote:Lots of heavy vehicles travel along the Gateway , down toombul road northbound into sandagte road & left into Pritchard road or Robinson Rd.



thats only the first part of it in that area.....the BCC busses also do it after Robinson rd where the left lane ends....but they don't want to merge because they want to turn left in to the depot.... then you have them using the bike lane as they exit the depot so they can get to Zillmere rd, then after Zillmere rd where it goes back to two lanes again but people don't want to merge so they go as far up the left as they can.......

and that's only one small section of road, it happens all across Brisbane,

How would a bus driver feel if trucks started using the Busways ( the dedicated roads, not just the buslanes) to get past traffic? They would scream murder, And everyone would listen and say how right they are to be upset.... why are we different? Why should we give up our LEGAL RIGHT to use the road?

As I stated..... drivers need to be educated, not given what they want on a platter.
Andrew
User avatar
Lark2004
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Lawnton, 25k north of Brisbane

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 am

In a world where peoples' minds are boggled, we would be blaming arson victims for owning homes, rape victims for being vulnerable and child abuse victims for being children.

Maybe some people already have boggled minds.

Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Postby the Mind Boggles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Hmmm yes the mind does boggle.

I suppose common sense plays a big part of staying safe instead of putting youself in danger trying to prove a point. Id rather be a live chicken rather than a dead hero & so would my loved ones. So many accidents can easily be avoided with this "i know my legal rights" mentality.

Its quite Legal to paddle on your surfboard across to South Stradbroke Island for a surf knowing to well the dangers that await.

Wouldn't it be a more sensible approach to get the badge across so you can avoid being run over by a trawler/boat or have a chunk taken out of you by a shark?

Its also quite legal to walk through the Botanical Gardens at 3 in the morning but most people would choose not too for fear of their safety.

You could also exercise your legal right to walk past the front of a pub where a violent brawl has spilled onto the streets but again most people would choose to avoid the confrontation & cross the road.
the Mind Boggles
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Postby Max » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:55 am

It's quite legal to troll an internet forum, but wouldn't it make more sense just to stop baiting people?

Since we have to spell it out for you - the reason drivers bully cyclists on the road is because a) they're allowed to get away with it and b) cyclists acquiesce by riding on footpaths. Note that QLD is the only state in which this is legal. In other states, riders must ride on the road. What should they do then? Your "it's legal but you shouldn't do it because it's unsafe" argument doesn't hold water.

The police should police the roads. Drivers should drive safely. Cyclists should be able to ride on the road (as is their legal entitlement, and in most cases a requirement) without being endangered by other road users.

Max
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Next

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit