USM Brisbane to Noosa Imperial Century on again in 2009

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 pm

winona_rider wrote:seriously thinking about doing this...
can't believe your thinking of riding back straight after pax!
Winona you should do it, it was a great ride last year. I've registered :)

Re the idea of doing the return trip;
Well yes seeing you mention it...who is interested in riding back after this to make it a 300???

I really want to do a 300 this year and it seems to me that doing the first 160 fully supported would be a good way to do it.

Any takers :? :D

Pax

Re: USM Brisbane to Noosa Imperial Century on again in 2009

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:55 pm

OK ....the ride is 2 months off, and I am serious about doing the K3,

Surely there is someone stupid enough to do this with me: We do the Bris to Noosa, have a half hour or so break then return to Bris for the 300k.

There is an escape plan: bail out via the train :oops: .

I'm thinking that with the opportunity to join bunches on the way up and given that appart from one serious hilly bit it is a reasonably flat ride we should be able to average somewhere between 25 and 28kph.

I am definitely doing it even if it is solo for the return, but there are 2 months to tune up for the ride so will ANYONE out there join me ...(go on...you know you want to hit this milestone :D )

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

I might be up for this and I might be able to drum up a couple of others to share the effort. Watch this space!

tomns

Postby tomns » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Registered today should be good looking forward to it.

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Tue May 19, 2009 7:08 am

Registered today.

Ride description sounds kinda scary -
...From here, and continuing the European Century cycling style, riders will be faced with the tough physical challenge of the undulating Glass House Mountains National Park. This stretch of the ride to Nambour is by far the toughest, however, rest assured it’s made all the easier by way of the spectacular views of the Sunshine Coast coastline.
Pax - you said there's a hill in the middle but it looks more like three hills for me - http://www.usmevents.com.au/century/maps.html

Need to do some serious training ASAP!

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 pm

RepcoMonaco wrote:Registered today.

Ride description sounds kinda scary -

Pax - you said there's a hill in the middle but it looks more like three hills for me - http://www.usmevents.com.au/century/maps.html

Need to do some serious training ASAP!
Yes I probably lied...I do that sometimes :oops: :lol: , but really only one of the hills was a shocker...lots of bikes getting pushed up it last year. Youi'll be right :D

Got to say I'm starting to look like being less certain on the return ride...haven't done a long ride since Ipswich in early april...now I am unwell :( and my next few weeks are non riding weeks...still will see how I go, nothing else to do that afternoon anyway :roll:

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Riding home tonight there were "Caution Cyclists: USM Brisbane to Noosa Century" signs along the highway in Aspley and Strathpine. They might have been there for a while but it is the first time I've seen them (I have been off the bike since 18th May, and today was my first day back to riding). Very exciting.

Having been off the bike for so long I am not sure that I'll do the return trip now, but then again perhaps I'll just look at the time off as "Extreme tapering" in preparation for the ride. Of course to go with the extreme tapering I have also been extreme carbo loading (there are carbs in beer, chocolate and chips aren't there :roll: ...I've been binge eating a bit...do that when stressed, not a good thing really, and have put on a few kgs :oops: ) All in all, that plus the lack of a long ride since early April, the return trip is in jeopardy.

Anyway bottom line is that I still think I'll give it a go but will make a final decision on the day. Will pace myself a bit more than originally intended, and will definitely have a clear set of bail out points on the way back (ie intermediate train stations probably...must get onto google maps and check that all out tonight). Think I'll ride to the start in the morning so that'll give me 30k (with a good rest) towards the 300 before the ride even starts, and will reduce the homeward leg to about 110k for the 300 total, should mean that I can bail 'at a station somewhere between Caboulture and Lawnton (home) if I' don't feel like riding all the way but still clock the 300.

If anyone is interested in "deciding on the day" pm me your mobile so we can try to hook up on the day. For that matter if anyone wants to meet up at the start regardless of the return trip, PM me too.
winona_rider wrote:seriously thinking about doing this...
!
Hey Winona did you end up registering??
RepcoMonaco wrote:Registered today.
Repco, I'll txt you at the start hopefully we will be able to meet up.

topaz

Postby topaz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm

I will be giving it a go this year.. (dont know about riding back - Don't think that my legs will last that long)

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:00 am

It's gonna be a cold ride... at least the first few hours. Need to get something warmer than two jerseys a.s.a.p.

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:08 am

Pax wrote:Repco, I'll txt you at the start hopefully we will be able to meet up.
My plan (in case I survive those hills and it's not too cold) is to ride back to Nambour and catch a train there, which will add about 45 km. There are a bit more trains stopping at Nambour then at the station which is closest to the finish

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:24 pm

I cannot believe this but I am out of the ride as of today.

Unavoidable case of life and responsibility interrupting fun. Pretty p!ssed off. :x

Sorry I won't be catching up with anyone this weekend, but I hope you all have great rides. See you on the Gold Coast ride or next year at Noosa :cry:

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 pm

oh no! that sux. i can't do it either - got family stuff too.
next year

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Such a pity you guys couldn't do it - that was fun and the weather was nice. The Hill was not as scary as I imagined - actually, it's just a bit steeper and longer then the hill near Story bridge which I climb every day on my way to work.

For some additional fun I even had a minor crash resulted in bruised knee and shoulder and scratched shifter :D

Rode to Mooloolaba after the ride where my wife picked me up - the total for today is 210 km.

tomns

Postby tomns » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Was a tough day out for me,

The 160km was my longest ever and I was happy to finish and not get caught by the sag wagon. Managed 26Km/h average on my ride time of around 6 hours with elapsed time of 7hours 2 mins or something. My damn timing chip didn't work for whatever reason and my stats on this site shows "pre-race withdrawl" which I was not :(.

No punctures or crashes for me but I came very close to going down when a pair of muppets on a tandem randomly turned off gympie road into a driveway in a huge pack of us, mate in front had a bit lockup and I dodged him and had a big tail out lockup moment, fortunately didn't tag anyone with my wheel and cause a big pile up.

Some poor bugger hit a traffic "lego block" about 20ks from the finish hope he was ok. Heard it and saw some people stop.

I had ridden that last 30km a few times before and knew it was going to be tough but I had enough energy to get there pretty well, I find it hard to keep the pace up after the 120km mark - I guess that just comes with practice.

Glad to be able to say I had done it.
tom
Peugeot U08 - Poser

JCR

Postby JCR » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Sounds good Tom, was a great ride.
I made a thread for everyones stories here, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16506 but everyone seems to have missed it.
I wanted to hear any good stories for people. Yours sounds more exciting then mine at least you had some things to keep it exciting, I did rub wheels for a bit but nothing major hahaha

tomns

Postby tomns » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:00 pm

will add my story to your thread mate

Tom
Peugeot U08 - Poser

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 am

RepcoMonaco wrote:Such a pity you guys couldn't do it - that was fun and the weather was nice. The Hill was not as scary as I imagined - actually, it's just a bit steeper and longer then the hill near Story bridge which I climb every day on my way to work.

For some additional fun I even had a minor crash resulted in bruised knee and shoulder and scratched shifter :D

Rode to Mooloolaba after the ride where my wife picked me up - the total for today is 210 km.

210, great ride, I'm still peeved, but at leasst starting to get back on the bike a bit now hopefully.