did the river ride today for the first time in ages...

did the river ride today for the first time in ages...

Postby winona_rider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:02 pm

well it's kinda "my version" of the river ride...

anyway i observed this:

the bicentennial bikeway is pretty tricky all of a sudden around the hale street bridge.

there's a section of new "shared pathway" alongside hillside drive (just past the uni and alongside the golf course). i didn't use it cause i didn't realise it was there until i was suddenly riding alongside. and i only got passed by one car so it seemed a bit useless using it cause it was littered with tree foliage and general debris.

the tennyson section - on king arthur tce - there seems to be a new residential complex there where the powerstation was. i think they are building some kinda tennis thing there too. anyway - can you shortcut thru that bit and link up with fairfield road??
winona_rider

by BNA » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:37 pm

BNA

Postby dawso » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:37 pm

short answer is yes.

i've just moved here and actually think it's a handy little connection thru to fairfield rd, mostly quiet and i usually only have to dodge a few (walking) workers knocking off depending on the time of day and have had no problems at all so far. the road runs straight through with a bit of traffic furniture and pops you nicely out on fairfield.

the tennis centre is the new pat rafter arena which i suppose could get busy on match days, we'll see.

the "shared pathway" alongside hillside dve i found a bit useless myself given the tree foliage as you mentioned and distinct lack of cars too, but for some other riders i'm sure it's a great thing.

yes the hale st bit is a bit tricky but to my mind not half as annoying as the construction further along between the botanical gardens and story bridge, the "detour" in place there i find pretty poor.
dawso

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm

thanks dawso...
winona_rider

Postby goneriding » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 am

Shared pathway - I don't use it as it is a bit narrow and the visibility is a bit iffy. That and the fact that is usually where the group I ride with finish and we are usually going hard through that section.

Tennis Centre - does go through to Fairfield Rd. Don't go through there because it is shorter.

Riverside - Same mess, just moved a bit. I'll be happy when the works are finished. The Coro Dr path is dangerous enough without the roadworks necessary though they are.

If you do a half loop over the Uni Bridge there are a whole bunch of changes there as well.

Unfortunately, Gladstone Rd up to Dornoch Tce is still there and is still 50m too long!
goneriding

Return to Queensland