Ipswich

Re: Ipswich

Postby RepcoMonaco » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Pax wrote:
winona_rider wrote:
RepcoMonaco wrote:Registered today!

Now guys are you still going to ride back to Brisbane after the ride?

that's the plan.
there might be some tears on my part - but that's the plan

:shock:

Yes Yes Yes can't wait :D

Would you mind another tired and moderately slow rider joining you on the way back? :oops:
RepcoMonaco

by BNA » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:08 pm

BNA

Postby Pax » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:08 pm

RepcoMonaco wrote:Would you mind another tired and moderately slow rider joining you on the way back? :oops:

Hey RM...fine from my point of view. I don't think it'll be a cracking pace on the way back. Probably the only proviso would be that I wouldn't be too keen to hang around too long after finishing the 100 before heading back towards Brisbane.

What kind of pace are you thinking that you'll manage for the 100?

PM me your mobile number so we can find each other :) be good to meet up whatever the outcome.
Pax

Postby jz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:26 pm

hi all

still pretty new at this

thinking about doing the bris to ippy witha couple of mates

can anyone tell me what its like what to expect etc etc

thanks in advance

jz
jz

Postby RepcoMonaco » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Pax wrote:What kind of pace are you thinking that you'll manage for the 100?

Usually it is 27-29 kph average for 100 km. What are you aiming at?
RepcoMonaco

Postby Pax » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:52 am

RepcoMonaco wrote:
Pax wrote:What kind of pace are you thinking that you'll manage for the 100?

Usually it is 27-29 kph average for 100 km. What are you aiming at?

On a flatish ride (like this one looks) I tend to average 30+ for a 100 solo. However I tend to get a bit excited and carried along by the fun of at these big group events and enjoy a bit of a faster ride. Averaged over 35 for the Gold Coast last year...there are so many bunches that form and once you find one that fits how you are feeling for the day you can get along at a great pace and share the effort at the front.

Given that the aim on Sunday is to do the imperial, I guess that the pace will be a bit slower than that...truth is I'm crap at estimating what speed a ride like this will be :? . Also haven't heard from Winona re his targets for the day.

Why don't we just meet up at the start see how it all goes and make a decision at the end of the 100?? It'd be good to meet you.
Pax

Postby master6 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm thinking the organisors are asking a little too much at $45 entry fee.
Am I being unduly negative?
master6

Postby MountGower » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby Moz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm

master6 wrote:I'm thinking the organisors are asking a little too much at $45 entry fee.
Am I being unduly negative?

It is a matter of opinion. I personally dont think its too much. They have gone to the effort of organising it. 3 drink stops. A signed route. A feed when you are done. A $10 voucher to use in a bike shop. Chance to win $1,500 voucher to a bike shop as well as a number of smaller vouchers adding up to $1,500.

I rarely ride in a group. The Brisbane to Gold Coast ride last year will always be one of the best rides I have done. I think its because of the great group of people. $45 to get that rush of riding with thousands of people again is worth it, in my opinion.
Moz

Postby Pax » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 pm

jz wrote:hi all

still pretty new at this

thinking about doing the bris to ippy witha couple of mates

can anyone tell me what its like what to expect etc etc

thanks in advance

jz

Hey jz, can't tell you specifically about Ipswich as I haven't done it before but if you mean what are these larger organised rides like; then typically it is something like this:

Arive with your registration and wrist band on a good little while before the start. There will be a mass start, ie all in a huge bunch lined up behind the start line. Some rides will put people into approximate speed groups with the fastest ones at the front for the start and slower towards the back 9generally not very tightly policed.

Before the start everyone is pretty chatty, getting to know people near them. The start is a bit of a low speed embarassing crash risk with so many people around so try to keep a bit of space around you. Up the front it can be a pretty fast affair with the people who are keen to hammer.

As the ride starts people form up into groups of similar pace if they want to, but fundamentally it is about riding however you want to enjoy the view or chase a pace...up to you. Generally lots of opportunity to chat with other riders as you pass them/they pass you. All pretty good spirited.

There are drink stops. At some events this includes food...not sure about Ipswich but I frankly prefer to take my own food approriate to a ong ride (gels, energy bars, bannana, other complex carb food, and pre-measured isotoic drink powder to add to the water that is available at the drink stops). I aIm for an intake of about 380 cals per hour (including the drink) spread across the hour in multiple small amounts. Keeps you going for a long ride without getting bloated. Definitely eat and drink throughout the ride.

It is all good fun and this ride sounds like great scenery, definitely fun to do with mates. Hope you enjoy.
Pax

Postby Moz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:57 am

Does anybody know if the event will still be on if its p*ssing down? It rained constantly all day yesterday on the Gold Coast. What normally happens?
Moz

Postby RepcoMonaco » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:37 am

the BOM website predicts "Showers tending to rain at times" on Sunday.
RepcoMonaco

Postby winona_rider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 am

i have a good feeling it will be clear(ish) by sunday out in them parts. :)
winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:14 pm

163kms = 1 sore, but elated winona.
thanks also to my homeboys tim and serge!

edit:
did you beat the rain pax?

Highlights:
1) timing our decision to try and pick up the next group ahead just when the road turned into a strong headwind - brutal, but we made it. then came the hills. Ow.
2) the nice downhill to warrill view and my saddle bag fail (it fell off - but we managed to repair it)
3) the demoralizing realisation that straight roads that go on forever into the distance are not as cool as they look
4) the dude who we blew off about 2 kms from the finish who caught up to us while we coasted the final 200 metres up the start/finish road and decided to sprint past us just so he could finish a millisecond ahead. that guy has competitive issues.
5) the fat, ugly woman who beeped at us on a lonely backroad on the outskirts of ipswich
6) the guy that called "car back!" and then qualified the statement by saying, "sorry - it's just a subaru". I lol'd
7) my poor direction giving skillz. soz guys!
Last edited by winona_rider on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winona_rider

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 pm

winona_rider wrote:163kms = 1 sore, but elated winona.
thanks also to my homeboys tim and serge!

Just rolled in the door too: 205 kms for the day, happy with that, it helped me crack into the top ten in the "fit gits" journal thread :D :D :lol: (shame the graph doesn't update until tonight :? )

Thanks Dave and Serge great ride, good to meet you Serge, Dave thanks for the tour through the back roads on the way back to Brisbane and congrats on the imperial :D
Pax

Postby winona_rider » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:10 pm

see above pax!
winona_rider

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Yep beat the rain home, now I'm off to buy roadbase for the pavers :shock: ...at least that will employ a different muscle group :roll: It'll be a day of achievments 8)
Pax

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Fantastic ride will definately do it again. Pretty tough ride with the headwinds.

Also had the satisfaction of reuniting a bike with it's owner. Found it lying in the middle of the Western Freeway. Nice Trek Madone 4.5.
beanspropulsion

Postby Moz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the write up WR you had me laughing.

You forgot about the many...many...many false crests. They were awe inpiring for my morale at the time.

I had a good ride. I ride all over the Gold Coast which is flat....and the road surface is nice and smooth.

Today my rear is pretty sore from the road and I also encounted these "hill" things today. My god, I wasnt expecting them! I dont think I have used such a low ratio on my Bianchi.

Glad I made the effort to get out to Ipswich for it, I think we will be back next year too. I shall get out into the GC Hinterland for some more hills prior.

Cheers!
Moz

Postby elantra » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 pm

The 50km was enjoyable and we seemed to have more tailwinds than headwinds. Also didn't have to get out of bed so early to do the 50. :idea:
I was just cruising in to the finish when the first of the "metric ton" riders arrived and someone forgot to tell 2 of them it was not a race. :x
They almost wiped out one of the SES volunteers in the "final straight" when they took off like RAAF missiles at the line.

As i was driving away i saw hundreds of tired looking 100k riders heading in along the Boonah-Ipswich road.
I was driving out towards Boonah to help a mate do some work at his farm (olive picking !) :roll:
Hope to do the 100k next yr. Thanks to all the organisers and helpers and also to the Mayor of Ipswich who was there at the start and gave us his official blessing with good humour. 8)
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Moz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:31 am

the mayor wasnt there at the start of the 100k. Slept in I guess... :shock:
Moz

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 am

beanspropulsion wrote:Fantastic ride will definately do it again. Pretty tough ride with the headwinds.

Also had the satisfaction of reuniting a bike with it's owner. Found it lying in the middle of the Western Freeway. Nice Trek Madone 4.5.

i forgot about that!
how badly damaged was the bike?
did he ride it in the 100k?
winona_rider

Postby RepcoMonaco » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 am

That was cool! 162 km in just under 6 hours.

Tim and Dave, it was a pleasure to meet you!
RepcoMonaco

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm

winona_rider wrote:
beanspropulsion wrote:Fantastic ride will definately do it again. Pretty tough ride with the headwinds.

i forgot about that!
how badly damaged was the bike?
did he ride it in the 100k?

Bike was in not too bad condition for saying it would of hit the bitumin at probably 100k's an hour. Rear derailleur was bent, pedals badly scraped, same for handlebar post and bar tape. Seat was badly scuffed. Apart from that wasn't too bad, frame looked ok. Had carbon wheels too so quite an expensive bit of kit.

It wasn't rideable and he didn't get the bike back until we finished the ride and dropped it off on our way home.
beanspropulsion

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:36 pm

before the start i overheard this guy who knew the guy who lost the bike saying to the announcer that at that moment the dude was out trying to buy ANOTHER bike just for the ride...
:)
he must have been VERY keen...
winona_rider

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:31 pm

winona_rider wrote:before the start i overheard this guy who knew the guy who lost the bike saying to the announcer that at that moment the dude was out trying to buy ANOTHER bike just for the ride...
:)
he must have been VERY keen...

The bike that he lost was a 62cm frame, don't think he would of been getting a replacement in any type of hurry.
beanspropulsion

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland