adelaide-Cairns, water and food availability ?

adelaide-Cairns, water and food availability ?

Postby pbekkerh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Hello
I'm starting a bike trip in Australia in the middle of march and had originally planned Adelaide-Darwin and posted accordingly on the SA branch. Someone ther came up with the brilliant idea to go to Cairns instaed and finish with some diving on the GBR.

I'm now investigating the route: Adelaide-alice-plenty hwy-mt isa-barkly hwy-cairns

Have they repaired the Barkly hwy after the flooding ?
Plenty hwy looks very deserted, is that the case ?

I might also skip Alice and go straight up from Adelaide, but that cuts the trip rather short, about 2699km compared to 4100km
pbekkerh

by BNA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm

BNA

Postby elantra » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Crikeys mate that is a very ambitious proposal.
I have never been across the plenty highway but i suspect it is probably a very rough and stony road with no shops and no water for more than a week(onbicycle)
I think you need to do a LOT of research and i also suspect march is too early in the year to go anywhere north of Alice Springs on a bicycle.
Anybody planning to do such a big travel in australia should read a book by Roff Smith which i think is titled "Cold beer and Crocodiles"
I think there is/was a tourist bus which goes along the Plenty HWY between Cairns and Alice Springs in the cooler months of the yr, i advise you to find its website on the net as there will be some useful infomation about this route on it.
Many people would say march is too early to go to Cairns (or Darwin), because it might be still wet and possibly floods, and other problems.
There are many other places to tour in Australia, but always check up on how the weather has been, has there been drought or floods or fires.
Best wishes, Elantra
elantra

Postby pbekkerh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found a site (http://www.exploroz.com/NT/Red_Centre/Roads.aspx#Barkly_Hwy) with roadconditions for Plenty and Barkley HWYs and most of Plenty was flooded. Considering the flooding started 1 1/2 month ago, they'll probably not have diasappeared when I arrive, so I've changed the route again, to skip Plenty and go to Townsville instead of Cairns. I'm considering going to Uluru by bus from Alice (if going there at all). Everything to keep the distance to a sensible 3800kms.
see a map here http://tiny.cc/Qm2Ry

Poul
pbekkerh

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Hello again. I would like to make a suggestion, which is to look at a thread on the "touring australia" part of this forum
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12483
I think this will give you a lot of assistance if you look at all these postings.
I think your proposed route might be lacking in variety, we aussies tend to want to visit the more scenic parts of australia, but also avoiding the main highways because main highways can be boring and dangerous.
Best wishes to you, Elantra
elantra

Postby pbekkerh » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 pm

elantra wrote:Hello again. I would like to make a suggestion, which is to look at a thread on the "touring australia" part of this forum
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12483
I think this will give you a lot of assistance if you look at all these postings.
I think your proposed route might be lacking in variety, we aussies tend to want to visit the more scenic parts of australia, but also avoiding the main highways because main highways can be boring and dangerous.
Best wishes to you, Elantra

Great thread thanks !!

As for mainroads I'll take oodnadatta track and Plenty if its open. But even barkly "HWY" haha, will be very different from a green, nice and cosy road in Denmark, with farms and houses every 100m.
As for variety. People tell me to take the east coast, but I want to be in the outback and if it lacks variety, then so be it. I'll probably get bored sometimes but I want to experience the vast nothingness. Cities and sights are all over the world.
pbekkerh

Return to Queensland