Preparing and Powdercoating frame in brisbane

Preparing and Powdercoating frame in brisbane

Postby elantra » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Help please :!:
I have a 21 yr old steel (531) frame which i want to restore back to riding condition
It was repaired years ago after a car stalled in front of me, new top tube and down tube.
That paintjob looks bland +++ and there are lots of rusty scratches so it needs the full prep and powdercoat
Could some of you with experience in this topic advise me where to take it for a good job :?:
Thanks in anticipation
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

by BNA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 am

BNA

Re: Preparing and Powdercoating frame in brisbane

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 am

What side of Brisbane do you live on?

There are plenty of powdercoaters around Brisbane, some who also have abrasive blasting services too, so the whole job is done in house. Also, ask your LBS...... I had a frame powdercoated a few years ago, I don't which powdercoater did it, but I took the frame to Strathpine Cycles, and they arranged the whole thing....it went in looking crap, and came back 3 days later looking brilliant....They also made sure all threads were cleaned so that I wouldn't have any problems with the re-assembly
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby winona_rider » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm

uncle_arthur had a frame powdercoated at a place in salsibury:
it was really cheap too.

Global Powder Coating on Lillian Avenue at Salisbury. Just off Beaudesert Road outbound after you come off the rail crossing overpass (before Granard Road).

$70 all up.

more deets:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8432
winona_rider

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks Lark / Winona, that is very encouraging.
I live at bardon and anywhere from salisbury to strathpine is easy to drive to - but only between about 10 and 11 in the morning !
My LBS is doing the new componentry but he does not refer to anyone in particular for steel frame repairs/renos.
The reno job done for "uncle arthur" in the the link looks very attractive and the frame looks similar to mine.
My 531 frame is a Repco, purchased new from the late Norm Morris (Ingham QLD) 1988
Maybe projects like this are a bit of a folly, for about a grand you can buy a new alum drop bar bike with STI gears etc from annaconda or rebel sports etc
But tonite i took my son to the movies and saw "Love the Beast" which goes into the reasons why we do this sort of thing.
Thnks again, elantra
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:27 am

FOLLY????????? :?

Folly is spending that much money on a bike that has a limited service life, and has to be handled in certain ways to prevent frame damage..... I love Steel, and Wouldn't bat an eyelid at spending that much on restoring or building up a nice steel bike. In fact, I just finished doing just that.... 8)

This steel road bike owes me about $500.00 all up, but I took my time with it and bought the components very cheap ($20.00 for STI shifters for example) :wink:
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for your advice, the "project" has commenced, i picked up the stripped-down frame from LBS this morning nd will get the sanding or sandblasting then pwder coating ball rolling next week.
Should probably have started this ages ago, i will have a go at the Ipswich 100 next sunday and would have been nice to have her up and running for that.
Anyhow here is a link to piccy of frame.
Thanks Andrew/Dave/Winona
http://picasaweb.google.com/sandyswampdog/2009_03_28?authkey=Gv1sRgCPHrysP616n4pAE#
elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Update on restoration.
The old Repco is reborn
Has been on ride to Manly markets ( 3rd saturday each month) twice now, and a few shorter rides

Frame was prepared / repainted (not powdercoat - not ideal for thin 531 butted tubing) by Joe Cosgrove at Rocklea
Then some old and some new bits and assembly by John at Brisbane Discount bicycles (bardon)

I have no intention to put any decals on her - at this stage
The long reach down to the gear levers (big frame) is a bit of a challenge - might work on that
Stephen
elantra

Return to Queensland