Brisbane to Mackay

ClownBoy

Brisbane to Mackay

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Hey all,

I am announcing it here to make it official, I am going to ride from Brisbane to Mackay next year.

Don't know how that ranks for big rides (sitting at around 1100km from door to door) but for me it is huge.

Went from fat and sedentary last October to triathlon this month with plans to do the Gatoraide series. Am doing the USM imperial in June. Current records are 128km for longest ride and 60km in 2 hours for fastest.

Any advice, tips, etc are welcome.

I am planning on travelling real light, staying in motels and stocking up on food each day. Should take a week assuming I stick to the following schedule (which will alter to fit the track and town locations as I plan) - 500km over 3 days, 1 day off, 500km over next 3 days.

Exciting.

Pax

Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:09 pm

ClownBoy wrote:Hey all,

I am announcing it here to make it official, I am going to ride from Brisbane to Mackay next year.

Am doing the USM imperial in June. Current records are 128km for longest ride and 60km in 2 hours for fastest.

Any advice, tips, etc are welcome.
Hey Clownboy, that does sound exciting :D I;m jealous :mrgreen:

The obvious advice is for you to consider ramping up that longest ride...Oh I know ...here's a good idea...why not do a K3 on the day of the USM Noosa ride :roll: :lol: ...see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11532&start=25

Sound like you've made a fantastic life change on the bike mate, keep up the good work

Tim

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:12 pm

yes Pax - I saw your 3k ride thing.

How about I say yes I will join you but reserve the right to pull out?

I also want to find out more detail about a ride I recall finding a few weeks ago. It was big, around SE QLD and takes 2-3 days.

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Don't know that one.

Hey, don't feel any pressure about the k3...it'd be great if you want to do it, and absolutely definitely OK to pul the pin even at the last minute, but definitely don't feel pressured, nothing worse than that.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 pm

My response wasnt meant the way it sounded.

I am intruiged by doing a full 3 century. I am nervous about riding with people though. I can handle distances but not that fast yet. Call it a lack of confidence.

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 pm

That is good, I just didn't want to pressure anyone by my tendency to get over enthusiastic :D

Riding together will be fine...we do need to target a pace and a time or it will be very dark by the time we get home...but no need to hammer I don't think. And anyway, can always turn on the AYUps who cares if its dark!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:50 pm

I have the same tendency. It makes me bite off more than I can chew.

So I try to correct myself and can come across overly cautious when in reality I am champing at the bit to jump in.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:44 pm

G'day

Sounds like a good plan. Do keep us posted on your planning.

Andrew