Brisbane to Gold Coast Cycle Challenge 2009

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast Cycle Challenge 2009

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 pm

As Max said, one more sleep!

I've serviced the bike (well, cleaned it and lubed the chain), got my Dutton's Jersey (Yay!) Dropped my bag (change of cloths and stuff for after the ride) at the shop to be taken down the coast, got some gels, made my gatorade.....Just have to have dinner , shave my legs and go to bed..... :D

Good luck everyone!!!!
Andrew
Lark2004

by BNA » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:55 pm

BNA

Postby Max » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Here's the lowdown on who's who (sorry for dodgy formatting)!

Code: Select all
Username   Rider number
Chris641             3797
DaveR32             3984
Lark2004             3489
Matt#73             3146
Max                    28
Neumo                4554
soc                    3855
Waynohh            308
Wazza                121
Winona_rider       102

I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Now, you'll all be printing this out and referring to it every time you see a rider number bib, right????? :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:03 pm

ummmm, sure I will.......... :P
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby chris641 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Haha thanks Max that's quite handy :)
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team
chris641

Postby a.briggs » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Good luck for tomorrow everyone
a.briggs

Postby elantra » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Max wrote:Here's the lowdown on who's who (sorry for dodgy formatting)!

Code: Select all
Username   Rider number
Chris641             3797
DaveR32             3984
Lark2004             3489
Matt#73             3146
Max                    28
Neumo                4554
soc                    3855
Waynohh            308
Wazza                121
Winona_rider       102

I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Now, you'll all be printing this out and referring to it every time you see a rider number bib, right????? :lol:

Max

Elantra 8805
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby munga » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:51 am

here's hoping the wet weather didn't do any harm.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby whichway » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi

Good ride, rained a bit at about the 30K mark which was not enjoyable, but then fined up and was cool all of the way. Gee there were a lot of bikes. The start and finish were very well organised this year, but people, if you can only manage about 20 km/hr on the flat, please don't start in the 30 km/hr+ group. There were a lot of mobile road blocks even early on and while I encourage everyone to do this ride, it is safer for everone if you start in the group appropriate for your speed.

I was still a long way from the end when I saw the first bunch coming back, so there were some impressively fast riders again this year. I just got a new bike two weeks ago, so it was a great first serious ride. I am getting it fitted tomorrow - not sure whether there is anything to adjust.

Hope you all had a safe ride and enjoyed it.

whichway
whichway

Postby chris641 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Agreed, lots of people were in way above their heads in the 30+ category.

I managed 2.54 for 102k :) pretty happy with that considering the pouring rain!
chris641

Postby Moz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:43 pm

The people who cant ride the 30+ were at a disadvantage because the organisers closed the 30+ lane, with a heap of us still to go. We were told to get in with the 25 - 30 group. The result was my first 30 odd ks was an average of about 27 kph. Once I was out of the major traffic, I was happy with my 33kph ave.

Very happy to have my fiance (on the bike for only 6 months now) do the 100k. She did well, it was her first 100k.
Moz

Postby Purt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 pm

There was a fair amount of flat tyres aswell, I don't think I went through a strecth without seeing someone fixing a flat...
Purt

Postby waynohh » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:14 pm

I was in the 30+ group and they just started letting the 25 group go before the 30+ was still half full, so there was no point unless you were at the front of the 30+ anyway.

Averaged 27.5km/h over 112km to helensvale station, with both rest stops.
waynohh

Postby soc » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:24 pm

I started right at the back of the 25+ group after popping a tube trying to get just that little bit of air in before the start :oops: there was a lot of riders to get stuck behind... Had a great day though, couldn't believe how many bikes were there! First time doing this ride, definately back for next year. Averaged a smidge over 25kph, but was happy with that.

Chris, 2.54 hours, damn impressive :!:
soc

Postby chris641 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:23 pm

soc wrote:I started right at the back of the 25+ group after popping a tube trying to get just that little bit of air in before the start :oops: there was a lot of riders to get stuck behind... Had a great day though, couldn't believe how many bikes were there! First time doing this ride, definately back for next year. Averaged a smidge over 25kph, but was happy with that.

Chris, 2.54 hours, damn impressive :!:

Thanks! Well done on the 25kph for your first crack at it! Feel free to come for a ride with me sometime :) that goes for everyone in the brisbane area!
chris641

Postby lethoso » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 pm

whichway wrote:if you can only manage about 20 km/hr on the flat, please don't start in the 30 km/hr+ group.

yeah that was pretty annoying, but ah well. On the plus side, over taking hundreds of people gives you that "man, I'm awesome" feeling :P

3'25 riding time... ~45" fixing flats and other showtime time :(
lethoso

Postby elantra » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Wow it was a good day out for me.
Hope it was OK for all you other guys (and gals)
Starting at Beenleigh and including ride to Helensvale and ride home from SouthBris station did 75 km.
(I couldn't start at southbank - had other things to do in the morning including walk the dog)

I am amazed though at the number of tough people out there trying to do it despite obvious problems with bikes and physical fitness. Some true grit cyclists for sure.
Many people seemed to be way overdressed for the temperature and humidity

My retro Repco was perfect for the job asked of it and performed brilliantly.
Suntour Cyclone rear changer worked really well on index setting.
Front changing not so brilliant - will only change to the 39 tooth ring with simultaneous downshifting at the rear !
I was really thankful to have a rear vision mirror which enabled me to easily check behind for approaching cars (or bikes) before overtaking slower riders.

Started at 9 am at Beenleigh and arrived at southport 3 hours later (including stops)
Got home with enough time to get tidied up to go to Suncorp for the A-league game
GoldCoast 1 defeated brisbane Roar nil. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I must say it is also a bit disappointing that the BNA jerseys did not turn up in time for the ride.
Hopefully will get them before next years ride :wink:
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Max » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 am

Congrats to everyone who finished the ride! I had a terrific ride, a significant improvement over last year. You might recall that I finished the ride last year in a touch over 8 hours. This year, I finished it in 5 hours and 26 minutes (including rest stops) :D :D :D :D Actual ride time was something like 4 hours and 20-something minutes. Avg speed was 22kph, which given my average for other rides (around 23-24) is pretty respectable, in light of the distance. I finished the ride feeling like I could turn around and do it again!! We rode to the local life saving club to have lunch, then rode to Nerang station to catch the train home. All in all, 123Km for me yesterday, which is a new record for me!! :D

I have to boast a bit now, so all of you who don't want to see me blowing my own trumpet.. turn away now. I am proud of myself for killing last year's time! I'm proud that I didn't bonk! I'm proud that I wasn't defeated by any of the hills! I'm proud that I passed sooooo many people, particularly in climbs. I'm proud that I killed my previous distance record (111Km, now 123!)!! I am just so happy about yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111onehundredandeleven!!! :lol:

OK, I'm done blowing my own horn now. It's good to see that everyone else had a good ride too. The weather held out for us - mostly a bit of spitting and some wind - but mates of ours suffered an hour of cold, driving rain. It did piss-pour down on us when riding to the train station. We were absolutely saturated by the time we got there. Damn, it was cold too :( Lucky I pack all my important things in zip-lock baggies :D

I didn't see any other BNA'ers (funnily enough, I didn't print out the list and refer to it every time I saw a rider number :lol: ), but it sounds like you all had a great time, despite not being able to meet me (or perhaps because of) :lol:

OK.. I'm babbling now. I have to go get ready for work!!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby waynohh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:38 am

I spoke with someone from duttons on the train, but he said their group was about 50 odd, so didn't bother asking if he was off here.

Channel 7 and nine both had stores about the event. Ten news at five didn't.

TEN:
n/a

NINE
25 seconds
Mentions both the Heart Foundation and DIabeties
Mentions 400,000 raised by the previous 4 rides.

7:
1 Minute 20 sec
Doesn't mention either cause or money raised
Mention free use of busway
Cyclists sharing road and holing up cars
Footage of cyclists crossing double white lines with a car driving on the double whites directly behind them, but cyclists in the foreground which is the focus.
Furious bogan talking about paying registration to use the road
waynohh

Postby 1st XV » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

That channel 7 story was crap..."Que bogan ranting about rego..."

Anyways.. fortunately, i am a Wilson HTM client, so got to wear their kit and start off the front row, which was all going very much to plan until about the 10km mark, when i got that sinking feeling of a rear wheel flat.. :( after fixing that and then flogging myself to get back to the lead group, i ended up settling into my own pace with a bunch of mates and finishing with an average of 30.1km/h. My best for a 100 so far by........0.1 km/h! hahahahha :lol:

Overall, a pretty well organized and fun ride. but how about some of those unsealed roads through the middle section? Just saps the energy and speed from yr legs..makes u more appreciative of when u do actually get onto a nice new stretch of smooth hotmix.
Hopefully nobody from here was injured in the few falls.
1st XV

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 am

Sounds like everyone had a great day out.

My day was going very well until a crash caused by a wandering rider left me minus some skin on my calf / knee, hip, elbow and shoulder which is very stiff and painful so I will get it x-rayed this morning to see what is causing the pain. Thankfully the bike is ok, well it will be once the front wheel is trued and the bent spoke replaced.

I can now also see the benefit of a helmet, mine is now cracked in 3 places from my head hitting the ground, if I wasnt wearing it I think I would eating through straw if I was eating at all.

Still I finished, my computer was in action for 4 hours and 6 minutes for 111.45kms this includes the slow ride / shuffle / walk to the start and walkiing through both rest stops / slow ride back to a BBQ etc. which made my average 27.45kmh....I am happy with that.

Cheers,
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K = Sold | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista
Dave R32

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 am

I have to agree the media coverage is not sensible.
Newsmedia has a split personality, partly ethical but partly "attention seeking" and self-serving like a belligerent child.
(A really big powerful one at that).
Sadly they are reduced to trawling for "bites"

Anybody who is vaguely familiar with the Goldcoast (especially behind southport and surfers') knows that it has severe traffic congestion on any weekend.
FWIW here is the monday newspaper article
elantra

Postby soc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:06 am

Was a bit dissapointed in channel 7's report. focused on the negatives rather than how awsome it was to have 10,000 riders doing a charity ride. At one stage the cameraman and the reporter were standing in the middle of the lane encouraging all the riders to wave and shout as we rode either side of them - should have made good footage, but wasn't used in the report.

Dave, sorry to hear about your fall, hope it all turns out good (you and the bike).

Hey Max, I was also thinking about your comments about the hills last year and was hoping you did better yesterday - good to see the hills are no longer your enemy :)

Chris, might go for a ride with you one day, maybe once I get a LOT faster... :wink:
soc

Postby 1st XV » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 am

Thats no good Dave, hopefully the xrays come back clear. Good effort finishing though, alot of people would have thrown in the towel after something like that... :)
1st XV

Postby chris641 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:19 am

By the way i must make an admission...

About 1k before the finish I decided to drop slightly off the back of the group I was with so I could get a solo photo at the finish line :P I stared right into the camera and did the Alberto Contador pistol, i hope he got it!
chris641

Postby tomns » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Had a great day out guys was a nice easy ride too, first time I have done that course and I found it very forgiving.
The last big ride I did was Brisbane Noosa that nearly broke me :)

I saw a few crashes probably 4 or 5 that I would call bad, medical attention required, broken bones etc.
I saw one guy slide out ( I think) break his collar bone (assumed by the way he was holding his arm and shoulder) and then his bike got run over by a dumbass in a car - rather poor all around.

I will echo the other posters and say there were a fair few out there out of their depth, riding on their limits - people insisting on passing you on downhill sections taking risks to get around people and ride fast only to be blitzed on the uphill sections where they didn't seem keen on staying left.

I actually stopped in a section to let a few riders go and let them put 5 mins on me so I wouldn’t see them again, two of them in particular were shonky as, one with an arm covered in road rash and the other had his knees and elbows skinned and chain grease all over his leg all woobly and inisting on riding very close to me

By the time we got past the second stop I had found a good group of riders and did turns on the front with them.
Managed to do the last 20Km (AT) 37ish km/hr with good group riding. Caught the KFC team train for a few kms and out group pushed out at 41Km/hr. The 5 guys I was working with at the end were excellent riders very safe and held their line nicely was a pleasure to push out the last 20km with them, we all stopped at the end and thanked each other for a nice safe finish.

Saw the fixie boys there but didn't say hello sorry felt a bit antisocial - saw whoever it was on the fixie with the pink deepV rims blitz past our group in the last 2 or 3 km, that was a beautiful sprint and was like watching art :)

Great day out, I was prepared for the rain so I didn't really care, just made you pay attention to the surfaces and corners.

I managed a 3hr 28mins for about a 28.1Km/hr average - not bad given I had some petrol in the tank at the end.

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif
tomns

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland