Favourite snippets of FAST Road in or near Brisbane

Favourite snippets of FAST Road in or near Brisbane

Postby Pax » Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Interested to hear a few favourite snippets of roads in or near Brisbane where you enjoy a regular high speed blast. (ie not whole rides: just little bits of ride that you really look lookforward to and enjoy).

For me 3 stand out that I do regularly (heaps of others but they are not regulars or not as good as these)

On my inward commute: The hill from the corner of Dargie St and Old Northern Rd Everton Park down to Stafford Rd. This comes after a few rolling hills and is a high speed curvy downhill at the same or higher pace than the traffic around you. The start is always great, there is a set of lights at the bottom of the main hill that often catch you :( ...but if they don't the pace continues to stafford Rd, though the road narrows a bit so have to be sensible with the cars. Up to there there is good width to the road so it is great, and safe.

On my homeward commute: Wickham Tce from the corner of Gipps St to Montpelier Rd. It is a Looooooooong but gentle down hill (a little too much slope to call it a false flat). It has quite a bit of traffic that flows well but it is a fast piece of Rd where you can own the left hand lane and ride as fast or faster than the trafic. Just feels great and the traffic lights generally are green (except the one at the Valley pool...where you can trackstand in anticipation of the final stretch :D ).

On weekends: the downhill on Mt Mee from Townsend Rd back to Dayboro. It is a twisty, technical, constant, 7k downhill that again can be done at a very high pace but tests your skill and gives you the occasional fright. (Love the whole ride out there and back...but this is about snippets)

Edit links to google maps didn't work :(
Pax

by BNA » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

BNA

Re: Favourite snippets of FAST Road in or near Brisbane

Postby Lark2004 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

The start of the Gympie Arterial, from the Beams road lights down to the gympie road exit after the Caltex. It's not super fast, but it's a great run after stomping the climb out of Aspley :)
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby maicoboy » Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 pm

Dornoch Terrace from the top of Higate Hill down to the West End ferry stop.

You can sprint your brains out from under Green Bridge up to Gladstone Rd then to the top of Higate Hill knowing you will get a long rest down the other side.
maicoboy

Postby MountGower » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Mt Nebo to the Gap. Punctuated by several power climbs but smooth and enjoyable, particularly leading up to the 40kph recomended signs.
Back of Mt Mee. Scary, but I love looking well ahead where possible and almost straight lining some of the esses.
Springbrook to Mudgeeraba is the longest and is brilliant, but a little rough.
MountGower

Postby winona_rider » Fri May 29, 2009 7:39 pm

in no particular order...and i'm not very good at corners...

1) the ride down heading north past the RBH - can hit 60+ in this region
2) the hill down seventeen mile rocks road (both ways)
3) the kick down from mt cootha drive towards the western freeway (added bonus) you get a rest in the middle and then mix it up with the western freeway traffic at 50-60 to push through the roundabout.
4) the ride down from highgate hill to Hill end
5) i do like the western freeway bike path heading west at about taringa to moggill road - especially with a tail wind. serious bikepath speed. wow.

more if i can think of em
winona_rider

Postby beauyboy » Sat May 30, 2009 8:22 am

I hate to put a downer on this thread but :(

please keep all speed listings within the speed limit

Organistion such as BCC, QT and the Courier Mail read online forums.

I will be in this case deleting or altering any speed listings that I know to be breaking the speed limits on suggested roads.

That said :D

I use to enjoy coming down Moray St in New Farm. Alway use to get up to the speed limit great fun.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby Pax » Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 am

beauyboy wrote:I hate to put a downer on this thread but :(

please keep all speed listings within the speed limit

But of course :D .

In all seriousness, this is about the fun, and not about the max speed. Keeping up with or overtaking the traffic often is still below the speedlimit in good old Brissy roads these days.

winona_rider wrote:in no particular order...and i'm not very good at corners...

1) the ride down heading north past the RBH - can hit 60+ in this region

Having followed you down that bit of road (and after seeing the look of joyful anticipation before we got to it...) I knew you'd list that one :D

I have to add the whole anti-clockwise descent of Mt Cootha. Thats a "within-speedlimit" blast
Pax

Postby beauyboy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:00 am

I know I know, so shoot me for being a prune :wink:

I know it is about fun, I just ask for a little bit of awareness about what you post in a very public forum.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby elantra » Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Pax wrote:

Edit links to google maps didn't work :(

Yeah i found it impossible to do this recently, but this morning i followed the BNA link to Robbie McEwen's twitter and this led to a google map and street view of a cafe that he visits on the Gold Coast :roll:

We all know Brisbane has lots of hills, perhaps that is one of the redeeming things about this *^##"!place.
Anyhow some of my favorite descents include Hale street (downhill from Musgrave Rd)
And Kaye street at Bardon, which is nice decent heading in the south direction on route 20, (bordering the western boundary of Government house grounds). Some maps designate it Boundary street.
I think cyclists have been booked for speeding down Hale street, so i would have to say Kaye street is better.
Warning - you have to slow down at the bottom, there is a roundabout with Warburton street here, and occasionally cars do enter from the right here, or slow right down for no apparent reason. :shock:
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby winona_rider » Sat May 30, 2009 8:45 pm

downhills are great - within the speed limit of course! :)

totally.

um. yeah i do like mixing it up in traffic.
more:
1)the kick down edward street in the city.
2)the ICB tunnel under the RNA. (tunnels have a natural "suck" that gives you an extra few k's an hour - plus this tunnel has a hill leading down to it.) also it is legal to do this tunnel but only if you approach from bowen bridge road.
3)have we mentioned old northern road heading south over that bridge at/near/past eatons crossing rd?
4)there's a pitch down from sandgate road toward the BEC at boondall. pretty much a quiet road yet two lane.
5)yeah - i think pax mentioned it - but down wickham thru the valley and towards brekkie creek is surprisingly fast.
winona_rider

Postby Lark2004 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:03 am

Eaton's crossing road...... :mrgreen: Between Clear mountian and Samford (big hill, unfortunatly big hill in both directions, so you go down one, then have to up the other side....) , And the run down the hill into Samford, and the run into Samford along Samford road......also going back toward Iron bark Gully from Samford along Samford road.....
Andrew
Lark2004

Return to Queensland