Postby beauyboy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 pm

This is one for the Northside Commuters, Now we just need a decent route in

Donald

www.qld.gov.au
Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
Thursday, June 18, 2009

Work starts on $1.6M Noble St Cycle Bridge

Construction has begun on a new $1.6 million cycle and pedestrian bridge across Enoggera Creek at Noble Street, Herston.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said the bridge was jointly funded by the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council and would provide a vital link between cycleways in Brisbane’s inner northern suburbs.

“This is part of the Bligh Government’s commitment, along with local councils, to establish a $556 million South East Queensland Cycle Network from Noosa to the Gold Coast and Ipswich,” Ms Nolan said.

“We want to encourage people to walk, jog or cycle more often and we are providing dedicated pathways where they can do so in safety.

“People who commute by cycling are not only enjoying a healthier lifestyle and saving money they are also making a contribution to reducing traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions.”

Member for Brisbane Central Grace Grace said the new cycle and pedestrian bridge would be a significant step forward for the Bligh Government’s Q2 Green targets.

“The Bligh Government wants to protect our lifestyle and environment from the challenges of climate change and population growth and projects such as this will help us reach these targets,” Ms Grace said.

“This new cycle and pedestrian bridge will be a great addition to the current cycle and pedestrian walks in inner-city Brisbane and I’m sure residents of my electorate will greatly appreciate this new infrastructure.”

The new bridge is being constructed and is expected to be completed by September.

Features of the new bridge include:

·four metres wide and 80 metres long

·a safe link over Enoggera Creek – a popular route for cyclists travelling from the northern suburbs via the Victoria Park Bikeway

·a connection from Noble Street to Fagan Road in Herston

·an easier ride to the King George Square Cycle Centre and the CBD via the state-funded Normanby Pedestrian and Cycle Link.

“Cyclists will also have the convenience of a world-class end-of-trip facility with the recently announced $8 million Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital Cycle Centre expected to be open in September,” Ms Nolan said.

“The government is proud of its achievements to build better cycling infrastructure for Queensland, including the recently completed Toowong Cycle and Pedestrian Overpass in March 2009, which links Mount Coot-tha Road to the Western Freeway Bikeway and the Brisbane CBD.

“The Queensland Government remains committed to managing congestion by providing integrated transport and promoting green transport options.”

Bicycle Queensland Manager Ben Wilson said the state’s peak cycling body also strongly supported the project.

"This bridge will help make cycling from the north side of Brisbane more desirable and accessible as well as increasing the safety of cyclists," Mr Wilson said.

“The new bridge will provide a better link to Herston and the CBD from the northern suburbs.”

Media contact: 3237 1111

BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

BNA

Re: Ennogra Creek, the New Nobel St Cycle bridge

Postby waynohh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

Hmm. I guess that's convenient, but not exactly necessary. I ride straight past that existing bridge/pipe and use the next one which takes about the same time, maybe 30sec more. I don't know if 30sec is worth 1.6M.
waynohh

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I think it is so that it gives the most straight route to Herston Road and the Victoria Park bikeway.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby winona_rider » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:17 pm

yeah - it'll be a good piece of infrastructure... more and more bikes come through that area every week it seems.
winona_rider

Postby waynohh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 am

And now a nightmare till the end of the year.
waynohh

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:49 pm

So i assume from that comment that they have now indeed started construction on the bridge across the creek?

Donald
beauyboy

Postby waynohh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 pm

I very much doubt it. All they've done is made it a bloody mess to try and get through.
waynohh

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:46 am

beauyboy wrote:So i assume from that comment that they have now indeed started construction on the bridge across the creek?

Donald

Yes, I was crossing the pipe bridge on my commute last week (riding in general being a reare event lately!) and looked to the right to see what appears to be the start of the new bridge jutting out from the southernn bank.

No mess from the direction I approached ie from NewMarket Rd direction, but you wouldn't expect any from that direction.
Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:49 am

waynohh wrote:Hmm. I guess that's convenient, but not exactly necessary. I ride straight past that existing bridge/pipe and use the next one which takes about the same time, maybe 30sec more. I don't know if 30sec is worth 1.6M.

Got to say that I agree with this comment.

Why spend 1.6 million here where there is already a more than adequate route, when the 1.6 could be spent in any number of places which are in greater need???
Pax

Postby elantra » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am

Pax wrote:
waynohh wrote:Hmm. I guess that's convenient, but not exactly necessary. I ride straight past that existing bridge/pipe and use the next one which takes about the same time, maybe 30sec more. I don't know if 30sec is worth 1.6M.

Why spend 1.6 million here where there is already a more than adequate route, when the 1.6 could be spent in any number of places which are in greater need???

I rode past there this morning, according to the worksite notice the cost is actually $ 1.067 million and should be completed september
The existing "bridge" (the thing with the big water pipe attached to it) looks quite ancient and i almost hit my head on the steel frame (mind you, i was wearing a beanie under my helmet this morning because of the cold wind)

I think that in the fullness of time it will be very beneficial to cyclists and peds and others
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby waynohh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:53 pm

elantra wrote:
Pax wrote:

I rode past there this morning, according to the worksite notice the cost is actually $ 1.067 million and should be completed september
The existing "bridge" (the thing with the big water pipe attached to it) looks quite ancient and i almost hit my head on the steel frame (mind you, i was wearing a beanie under my helmet this morning because of the cold wind)

I think that in the fullness of time it will be very beneficial to cyclists and peds and others

That pipe isn't the bridge I was talking about.
waynohh

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 pm

elantra wrote:
Pax wrote:

You checked out the wrong bridge mate; Wayno and I were referring to the next bridge EAST of the pipe bridge. It is only about 250 meters east along the bike path from the pipe bridge. it is reasonably wide and doesn't have any of the issues the pipe bridge has (mind you,,,I really like the look of the old pipe bridge :D )

You must be sitting pretty upright on your bike or you're heaps taller than me to almost hit your head (it is low though...not arguing with that)
Pax

Postby mich rolling » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:03 pm

$1.6M for a bridge? Hopefully it includes substantial route upgrades from Newmarket Road down along Noble Street, across the creek and at least until cyclists are established on Fagan Road (intersections and road crossings are where the most frequent accidents happen).

If only the bridge is being upgraded then go to your local steel fabricator, slip her $300k and plonk it in.

$1M/minute saved was apparently a railway's mantra a decade ago. At 20km /hr the 250 +250m to the existing quality bridge is about 2mins allowing for slowing on corners so $1.6M is appropriate.
mich rolling

Postby waynohh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:25 pm

It looks like they're not working on the bridge anymore, but they're not taking the fences down so we can use it either.
waynohh

Postby beauyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:32 pm

How close to completeion is it?

Donald
beauyboy

Postby waynohh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:41 pm

On the east/north side it's finished, except they still have the whole road fenced off, forcing everyone through this stupid bottleneck still. I assume the west/south side is equally finished considering there doesn't appear to be anyone turning up anymore to work on it.
waynohh

Postby beauyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Have they got a Number on the Project Billboard to ring?

If so I would be giving it a ring.

Donald
beauyboy

Postby winona_rider » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

it's money well spent. the existing bridge is bad - the other bridge is good but the infrastructure on the south side is EVIL. narrow and really poor visibility and you have all this awesome speed from the kick down from the bridge.

plus the old pipe bridge has that EVIL hill on the south side. Evil coming down it as you have to slow so much and even more evil I imagine coming up it.
winona_rider

Postby beauyboy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:57 pm

so when is it opening?

Donald
beauyboy

Postby winona_rider » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 pm

it looks completely finished (when i looked on saturday). not sure why it ain't open yet.
winona_rider

Postby waynohh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 am

There were more tradesmen at the bridge this morning, though I couldn't see they were actually doing anything. Hopefully taking the fences down. One had their car parked almost across the small bottleneck opening that you have to ride through.
waynohh

Postby waynohh » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14 am

I think on the city side there's a few square metres of path missing.
waynohh

Postby waynohh » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 am

There's been more workers on the city side the last couple of days, filled in that missing section - don't know what else.
waynohh

Postby beauyboy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the updates, I have been keeping up with your updates.

Donald
beauyboy

Postby waynohh » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 am

They're digging some post holes in the road on the non-city side now, I assume to make the T junction at the end of the bridge where it meets the shared path a bit wider, maybe not as wide as a car, but I assume they'll have to put no standing signs in front of it now. It seems they've stopped doing things in parallel and just putting finishing touches on every few days. At this rate I reckon it's another couple of weeks away still. After they've done this it'll be more days until someone else comes along to put the no parking signs there, etc etc.
waynohh

Next

Return to Queensland