Bike Rental in Brisbane

Bike Rental in Brisbane

Postby sheffrider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 am

I'm currently living abroad and coming back to Aus for a holiday in December. Was wanting bring my bike but not going to happen unfortunately. Is there anywhere in Brisbane where I can hire a decent road bike?
sheffrider

by BNA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 am

BNA

Re: Bike Rental in Brisbane

Postby countadam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 am

I read a piece in the Herald recently about a new bike hire system in Brisbane. The bikes are available at several locations in the city and could be dropped back at any of the locations. There was a cost to sign up and another cost per hour.
I cannot remember when this was to start but if it is available now it might be what you are looking for. Perhaps another member of the forum has a better memory than me. :D

Cheers
Paul.
countadam

Postby MountGower » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 pm

G'day

The hire bikes are euro city type bikes. 20kg single speed type things. I live close to the city at Coorparoo. If you want to keep your eyes open for an eBay bargain, your welcome to store it here and use my work address as a pickup point once it is sold after your holiday.
MountGower

Postby goneriding » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:09 pm

There are a few options in addition to the one that MountGower pointed out. These are:
1. You can hire mountain bikes in the city but I think they are only daily rental although you might be able to negotiate something.
2. Lifecycles sells secondhand bikes. If you are after a roadie you might be able to do a deal with these guys on a secondhand bike where you sell it back to them once you leave.
3. There is a place in West End that reconditions bikes but I can't find the link. Perhaps one of the other guys knows about it.

Hope that helps.
goneriding

Postby MountGower » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 pm

The West End shop is Bicycle Revolution in Montague Road. Depends on how good a bike your after. Not much over $50 there, but they do hire aswell.
For a "decent road bike" perhaps look at the trading post website. They do auctions aswell these days. By decent I'm assuming you mean you want to do some crits or long rides. 9 or 10 x 2. Is that the case?
MountGower

Postby sheffrider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:21 pm

By decent road bike I mean something with a aluminimum frame, though carbon would be better, and at least 105 group set, though campag would be better. Would be using it for some long rides of 100km plus and wouldn't mind doing some quick rides with a group.

Don't really want the hassle of buying a bike and trying to re-sell.
sheffrider

Postby MountGower » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Don't really want the hassle of buying a bike and trying to re-sell.
Looks like you'll be taking up some other sport on your holiday. Plenty of places to go jogging around here.
MountGower

Return to Queensland