2009 MS Brissie To The Bay

2009 MS Brissie To The Bay

Postby waynohh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Sun 19 July
50km round trip
$40

Linkage:
http://brissietothebay.com.au/about-the-ride/course-information

I'll be in Torpedo7 jersey, blood red helmet and Oakley radars, probably slugging it out alone. Say hi as you speed past.
waynohh

by BNA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm

BNA

Re: 2009 MS Brissie To The Bay

Postby soc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Yep, signed up for this one. Will be with a bunch of mates, taking it easy. Hope the weather holds out this year, not like last year with the wind, and the torrential rain, and the postponing...
soc

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:15 pm

I've signed up for that one too ..... should be a fun ride.
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby matt#73 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm

yea ill give it a go! Ill have chat to some mates and see if there are keen?

Matt
matt#73

Postby Max » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Already got a team in. Anyone want to sponsor us?? :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby waynohh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Am I to understand you have to get to the start by 6:35 and they might hold you there while you freeze in your own sweat until 7:30?
Even if you get there first at 6, you have to wait 45min :(

OR am I COMPLETELY mistaken and by having already received your bibs/etc in the mail, you don't need to do anything on the day except show up and start the ride before 7:30?

6:00 am Ride day entries open Musgrave Park
6.35 am Ride day 50km
6.45 am START 50km ride (staggered starts til 7.30am)
7:20 am Ride day 25km entries close
7:30 am START 25km ride (staggered starts til 7:40am)
7:30 am Ride day 10km entries close
7:40 am START 10km ride (staggered stats til 8:00am)
waynohh

Postby elantra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:52 am

waynohh wrote:Am I to understand you have to get to the start by 6:35 and they might hold you there while you freeze in your own sweat until 7:30?
Even if you get there first at 6, you have to wait 45min :(

OR am I COMPLETELY mistaken and by having already received your bibs/etc in the mail, you don't need to do anything on the day except show up and start the ride before 7:30?

6:00 am Ride day entries open Musgrave Park
6.35 am Ride day 50km
6.45 am START 50km ride (staggered starts til 7.30am)
7:20 am Ride day 25km entries close
7:30 am START 25km ride (staggered starts til 7:40am)
7:30 am Ride day 10km entries close
7:40 am START 10km ride (staggered stats til 8:00am)

I have had a look at the FAQ.
To me it looks that you have to collect your ride ID after 6 am at Musgrave park
I guess this will be a bit of a bunfight.
But i have been there and done it a few times in the past and it is a nice ride, if you don't mind lots of people
I will probably do it again in 2009.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Max » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:52 pm

elantra wrote:I have had a look at the FAQ.
To me it looks that you have to collect your ride ID after 6 am at Musgrave park

Hmm, where does it say that? IIRC last year, it was just a matter of showing up with bike bib etc already attached. Maybe my memory is hazy. I've been on so many of these event rides, I can't remember what's what anymore LOL!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby AllanB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Got my number in the mail yesterday so hopefully shouldn't have to do anything on the day except ride.
AllanB

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

:x :x :evil: :cry:

Gotta pull out of this one..... Familly comitment just got dropped on me.... :evil:
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby Max » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 am

Lark, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Never mind. You're still doing the Wilson HTM thing, yes?

I got my number etc in the mail the other day, along with my commemorative jersey :) It's a little.. "snug".. around the belly but is good otherwise. Guess it's an incentive to try to ditch those last few kilos!

Max
Max

Postby soc » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Bummer Lark. Ah well, there's always next year. Or the Gold Coast ride, or ...

Got my number on Wednesday, i think it was. Was beginnig to wonder if they forgot about me.
soc

Postby russellgarrard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Watch out for the guy in khaki rocking the electric bicycle again!
russellgarrard

Postby colafreak » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I'll be there with my father-in-law, got no idea where or when, it's been a pretty low information sorta thing. But anyway, closer to the day I might have a better idea.

White Felt and a black (and red) Giro jersey with possibly a black wind vest.
Please pardon my ignorableness
colafreak

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 am

thanks for the sympathy guy's..... I'm pretty steamed about it, but there's nothing I can do. I have put my foot down about the Brissy to Goldcoast though, there is no way in that I'm missing that.
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby soc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Looking like a brass monkey start to the day on Sunday... :)
soc

Postby Max » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 pm

If tomorrow's anything like today, it'll be absolutely superb riding weather! Except for the brass monkey start, of course :lol:

Max
Max

Postby Max » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:30 pm

What a great ride!! Overall, I felt like I rode exceptionally well. I managed to keep a high cadence for the most part, I passed lots of people on the flats, and surprisingly, a lot of people on the hills too. I think I really found a sweet spot combination of cadence and gearing, because I felt like I could sustain it without getting too tired. Shame I have no idea what gear I was in at the time!!

We had a break at Wynnum and set off again. I did myself no favours by not having enough to drink, and around 15Km of the return trip was spent experiencing painful cramps above my knees. At one point, I clicked my left foot out and put it down on the ground. This set all the muscles in my leg off, and the next thing I knew, my leg muscles forced my leg totally straight and I could not bend it at all! I had to use my hands to force the leg to bend, after which the cramps finally released.

I had to take the rest of the ride pretty easy. That said, my riding has improved out of sight since last year's Brissie to Bay. I didn't walk up any hills, and didn't stop nearly as often as I did last time. Mental note for next time: DRINK, you stupid woman!!! :roll:

I also saw a pretty impressive crash. We were going down a long hill with a long sweeping right turn at the bottom. Some fool decided to tear down the hill and take the corner way too fast. The bike slid out of from under him, and he went straight under the wheels of another cyclist. :shock: Poor guy had no choice but to run right over him. He somehow managed to stay upright, and the guy who'd come off his bike walked away without serious injuries. I reckon he'll be sore tomorrow though!

How'd everyone else go?

Max
Max

Postby waynohh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:52 pm

I did the 10km from my house to the start at 28km/h avg because I didn't want to get there too late, then had to wait 30min to start in the last group which seemed absolutely huge at 7:30. Should have slept in another 30min.

Crawled through the first 1km at south brisbane at horrendously slow pace trying not to get taken down by kids and mountain bikes swerving all over the place. Just riding along maryvale st I think it is took at least 10min. I don't think the bloke organizing the staggered groups knew how many people were left, it was so crowded in the last group I'm surprised there weren't any pile ups.

Once I got to the hill near the hospital just started flying past everything and pretty much just did that the whole way down which took 55min.

On the return I took it easy once I found a decent group. Only stuck around long enough to get another gatorade.

1 Gatorade on the way down, 1 on the way back and 1 on the way home. 70km total, 26km/h avg

Impressed by kids on mountain bikes and whatnot doing the 50km, that's a hell of a long way! Disappointed if they don't do the 50km next year, which I think I heard the announcer saying :(

Bad photo:
Last edited by waynohh on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waynohh

Postby russellgarrard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Haha, I had 'chamillionaire-riding dirty' playing at the EXACT same time I got stopped by the police for traffic control before allowing us to cross the road as a group :oops: Could be worse....I was going to put 'NWA' on it!

Bloody hell....can't anyone keep a f**king straight line? Fair enough your underskilled, but don't keep zig f**king zagging!
russellgarrard

Postby soc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 am

Wasn't it a glorious day? :) Had a pretty good ride, much better than last year when i completley bonked on the big hill at Lytton and thought i was going to have a heart attack, and cramped up really badly around 40ks...
Have no idea how i went cause my damn computer went on the blink as we turned onto Merrivale street - dead battery in the sensor, bugger. So all I had was the clock and to be honest i have no idea what time we started. Got to Wynnum and waited 25 mins for others to show up but they must have had a problem somewhere (or were ahead of me, the buggers) cause they didn't show and didn't answer mobile, so i started off again. Was going down one of the decents and i hit a massive pothole and my seat bag went flying off into the long grass! Had to pull up at the bottom and make my way back to find it, then carry the stoopid thing to the next pit-stop. Running repairs with a couple of cable ties (tip - always have a few cable ties with you, can be very helpfull..), a Mango flavoured sugar-water, (wasn't the Kiwi Sports Drink awfull) and off i goes again. Got a text to say the others were just leaving the first stop (yay! they weren't ahead of me) after one of them flatted at Cannon Hill. Cruised back into South Brisbane, sticking to the tail of a couple of groups, just enloying the ride. Gave up on working out times, but i think i did about an hour forty(ish) of riding time, 35 mins of waiting/break/repair time, no flats (yay!), didn't bonk on the hills, and no cramps. So all in all, had a really good day. Now, off to find a new seat bag and a new battery...
soc

Postby goneriding » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 am

I managed to hook onto the front group of about 10 who worked together all the way around. Everyone was "participating" very enthusiastically!

It was a good course and a well managed event. Kudos to the MS people for putting the event together.
goneriding

Return to Queensland